HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 725 86.00%
were just asking for too much 118 14.00%
Voters: 843. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 29, 2014, 01:05 AM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccraze View Post
Question: Is there a way to mechanically adjust the ailerons? I could not see a way to do that and ended adjusting the sub trim in the radio.
You need to split the fuse open to access the control arm adjustment 'U' loop for the aileron servo. It's waaay too annoying to open fuse, adjust, close fuse, test, lather, rinse, repeat, so I just subtrim and leave it at that. Is it really -that- far off?
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:42 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
United States, WA, Vashon
Joined Sep 2013
991 Posts
Some say not to use sub trim with these micros. I have done it for some time and never have had a micro servo board go bad.
thosmosis is online now Find More Posts by thosmosis
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:01 AM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
358 Posts
I believe the sub trim issue is mostly with AS3X planes; but the T28 is not one of those. So thosmosis you should be ok with what you are doing

Regards
Joe Perrone is online now Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:04 AM
United States, AL, Randolph
Joined Mar 2004
255 Posts
If you are talking about trim adjustment, just squeeze or open the small loop on the wire rod near the clevis. That is what they are for.

Larry

Sorry just noticed you said aileron. Don't pull the tape when you go inside cut it and re-tape over it.
Travler is offline Find More Posts by Travler
Last edited by Travler; Sep 29, 2014 at 11:08 AM. Reason: MY misteak
Old Oct 23, 2014, 09:19 PM
United States, NH, Hooksett
Joined Jul 2014
14 Posts
This plane is so much fun it deserves a bump (though fortunately the bumps have been limited since day 1).

Dinghy's suggestion about "ironing" dents and wrinkles out with the monokote iron works great! I lay a wet paper towel over the area and hit it with the iron for a couple seconds, check progress and repeat if necessary. I'm sure if left too long or let it get dry you can do some damage. Now if we could just get this noreaster out of here...
Shoetec is offline Find More Posts by Shoetec
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:37 PM
Joined Oct 2014
3 Posts
Hi all,

Beginner here! UM T-28 just arrived, can’t wait to fly it this weekend!

Just wondering if there are any recommended simple mods/tips that will help to keep the plane in good working order? I fly over grass so won’t be using the landing gear. Is it worth reinforcing the base with packing tape or anything to protect the bottom from the inevitable occasional hard landing?

Also, as the stock battery is just secured into the compartment by a small velcro strip does anyone recommend an alternative way of securing replacement batteries? I’ve bought a couple of 160 mAh replacement lipos that don’t have the Velcro to secure into the compartment. Tape maybe? I don’t want the batteries falling out mid flight!

Thanks in advance
barrett500 is offline Find More Posts by barrett500
Old Oct 24, 2014, 09:39 AM
Joined Apr 2013
705 Posts
I find the velcro works just fine. Go to your local hardware LHS or fabric shop and buy a pack of velcro.

I've never had a battery come lose.

The T-28 is a super flier also. I hit a light pole in front of the house with mine. The t-28 did a 360 and kept on going. No damage at all. A slight wrinkle on the nose is all.

Good Luck and have fun! You'll love it.

jack
pjdog350 is offline Find More Posts by pjdog350
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Great flying day
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:14 AM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
358 Posts
I use transparent tape ("scotch") tape to hold the battery in place. I have a mod on a P40 that requires no Velcro on the battery; for commonality I have a handful of batteries with no Velcro; and the tape is all that holds the battery in the T28.

Sometimes I use blender, that is nice tape too.
Joe Perrone is online now Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
Old Oct 25, 2014, 08:36 AM
Joined Apr 2013
705 Posts
Problem with tape is it pulls off the paint. I know it's on the under side of the plane but still.

jack
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2014, 09:34 AM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdog350 View Post
Problem with tape is it pulls off the paint. I know it's on the under side of the plane but still.
Very true. The trick is to use the technique the way the two fuse halves are taped. First put down a piece of tape where the intended 'battery retainer' will go later. That piece stays forever and protects the paint.

The caveat is that the other piece of tape that goes across the battery has to be changed pretty frequently.

I lost a battery from my Champ very early on, one of the first few times I did a loop. I immediately went to the tape and don't care about losing paint as long as I don't lose batteries.

The other problem with not using the 'protective tape' thing is that the plane not only loses paint but even foam. Each application/removal of the tape strap pulls off a very thin-thin layer of foam. A hundred flights later the 'dent' is clear and visible. Again purely cosmetic but still annoying. Mine, I don't care because I've snapped the nose off 3x so a little dent is the least of the cosmetic imperfections. (I didn't read about the protective tape layer thing till I'd already lost all the paint so after that it didn't matter.)
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:35 AM
Joined Apr 2013
705 Posts
jbarchuk :

That's the best part of a forum. You have a thought but your thought may only include what you know no not what the other fellow knows.

A great idea of the first tape staying there. Protects the paint and gives a better surface to the second and all subiquent tapes to go!

Jack

PS: I've not flown my Champ in months. This morning I got him out for a flight. There was a very slight wind from the Northeast. One I hand launched the Champ at full motor she with up like a balloon. I went to half motors to see how long I could hold the champ in one place. I was surprised. I also had to hold some left rudder for straight flight.

once I landed and put some left in the rudder by bending the wire. Hand launched again and found I had over done it. Now I needed some right rudder. After a few more adjustments I got it just right. The Champ is a superb flier. So relaxing. I was afraid I'd fall asleep. What a great model!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM
United States, MA, Belmont
Joined Mar 2004
487 Posts
control throws for umT28?

Sorry to bother you with this but didn't want to waid through 600 + posts to find it.
I just bought a like new used um T28, including the manual and after 3 times through it I can't find what the recommended control throws are, both high and low rate.
Would someone be kind enough to tell me?
Thank you in advance.
mgdon is offline Find More Posts by mgdon
Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM
Finland, Espoo
Joined Aug 2014
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccraze View Post
Finally I replaced the tail with new rudder and elevator. Once I trimmed it, it was such a pleasure to fly it. I was able to fly it nice and easy 3 feet off the ground for the whole 5 minutes.

Question: Is there a way to mechanically adjust the ailerons? I could not see a way to do that and ended adjusting the sub trim in the radio.
Yes, but that involves opening the fuselage. Inside there is a pushrow with a U-bend on similar as for rudder and elevator.
razze76 is online now Find More Posts by razze76
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM
United States, NH, Hooksett
Joined Jul 2014
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdon View Post
Sorry to bother you with this but didn't want to waid through 600 + posts to find it.
I just bought a like new used um T28, including the manual and after 3 times through it I can't find what the recommended control throws are, both high and low rate.
Would someone be kind enough to tell me?
Thank you in advance.
I've been flying mine for about 1 1/2 months and I don't think I've changed anything. The rudder is on the outermost hole in the horn and the elevator is on the second hole in from the outside. Can't see and haven't touched the aileron link. I fly it at 100% and I'm not a hotshot or anything. It'll loop and roll fine in my confined space (maybe 175'x80' surrounded by trees and house).

Oh, and it's a blast.
Shoetec is offline Find More Posts by Shoetec