HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2008, 04:45 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
Discussion
Profile Pusher X-1

Here's the latest I've been working on, by request, an X-1, uses my normal profile construction, and full flying elevator. AUW so far is 7.5 oz, looks like for CG I'll need to use a 2100 pack, so will be 15 or 16 oz rtf, with around 205 sq inches of area.

Everything was going smoothly till I glued on one of the spruce tail pivot supports too far forward, and tried some debonder, and it ate right through the depron, so I needed to do a surface repair

I'm going to try the grayson 2208-08 motor if I can get a zagi prop since that seems to generate a lot more thrust and get me over 1:1.

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fullscale Hellfire Missile
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2008, 06:08 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
Awesome. Looking forward to seeing more of it.
DreamArcher is offline Find More Posts by DreamArcher
Old Apr 21, 2008, 06:22 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
thanks, I found some testors paint called mango madness I think that should be a close color, should be able to paint tonight and install electrics tomorrow, may have to wait for a zagi prop to have enough thrust. It's a bit more piggy than I first planned, I was going to go with a 30" span, 33" long version, but the wing looked a little small, so I scaled up to 39" long and 35" ws.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamArcher
Awesome. Looking forward to seeing more of it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:13 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
Here she is painted, I did a slightly later version, second airplane, with the red stripes on the stars/bars, found a photo that had them also in the orange paint, so I didn't have to cover them up Airframe painted is 8 oz now.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:48 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
Finished the electric install last night and balance, went with just aft of 25% of root chord. Needed 1/4 ounce of nose weight and the 2100 pack, so AUW was 16.5 oz. I did a test runup with the APC 5.25x4.75 and it looked like it would barely have 1:1 on a fresh battery, but good enough for a test flight.

Handlaunch pitched up just a bit, and it needed just a bit of down trim, and some right trim for torque. Climbed to altitude, trimmed it out and flew around for 8 minutes. Roll rate was just a bit slow, so on second flight I increased aileron to 150% of throw. Elevator was a bit sensitive so toned that down to 90%. Power off glide wasn't super slow and the nose wants to drop a bit, so I think CG is just a bit conservative. Power on low speed got pretty slow for the size of the wing, with flaperons deployed it was even slower. Landing power off needs to keep a little speed to have some flare authority left, I think landings can be slower with some power on to the end and flare, with the motor mounted up high this shouldn't be a problem.

Rolls were nice, nose dropped a bit at the end, loops needed some power but were nice and tight. Immelmans, cuban eights all nice. It looks great in the air, is a good size. Stall tends to turn into a mush followed by wing rocking, adding power comes right out. I found that if you are in a very slow tight turn and pull too much elevator, the nose will rise a bit and it will get stuck in a knife edge, you need to drop the nose, or add power to get it flying again. Nothing bad, just noticed it since I'm running a bit lower thrust to weight than I originally planned.

8 minute flight used 850mA from the 2100 pack.

This little 2208-08 worked fine, and with the zagi 5x4.1 prop it is supposed to churn out nearly 20 oz of thrust instead of the 16 or so with the apc 5.25x4.75 I've got currently, which would give it longer run times.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by burkefj; Apr 22, 2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:15 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
Plans are now posted on the pusher parkjet plans sticky thread, enjoy
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2008, 03:24 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
electronics install

I was asked to provide pics of how I did my electronics install, here you go.
Double back tape for the servos, receiver, and speed control, with a little derma-tape to hold wires down, velcro for battery, plus I use a strap to hold it in place also.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2008, 03:33 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
I wasn't the requester, but thanks. Always helpful.

Edit: Never mind. I can't critique such awesomeness. My bad.
Last edited by DreamArcher; Apr 23, 2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 04:54 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
No problem, this was a request from semonino a flyer from france who asked me if I had plans for an X-1, I didn't so I just built one Some people may not like the profiles with the components stuck on the side, but I don't notice them in flight, and they are so simple and have such a great speed/performance range, I just really like them.

Frank

Quote:
I wasn't the requester, but thanks. Always helpful.

Edit: Never mind. I can't critique such awesomeness. My bad.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2008, 05:06 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
Oh now I have to say what it was that I retracted. hahaha. It was about insetting the motor an inch or more forward with the prop right up next to the tail to help move the CG forward, but I retracted it because you clearly have that under control. I don't mind the equipment hanging out as long as the wires are kept clean looking like yours.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 05:17 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
Oh, ha ha, now that makes sense Yes, I thought about recessing the motor, and normally I would do that because I don't like things hanging out further than they need to be, but by the time I figured out that I would have to use a 2100 pack for CG, I realized that my only other option I had was a 1320 pack, and that is 2oz less weight, that moving the motor forward 2" wasn't going to make the difference to allow that battery, AND I had already glued in the arrow shaft that extends through the body and glues to the firewall, so I would have had to cut the foam, and the shaft, and I just didn't want to at that point, and was afraid if I did I'd probably not cut the tail end square and wind up with some offset up/down or side thrust. I kind of liked the clean end of the plane as it is especially with it painted orange, and don't really notice the motor in flight, but your point is valid and I normally want to get things as far forward as possible.

Frank

Quote:
Oh now I have to say what it was that I retracted. hahaha. It was about insetting the motor an inch or more forward with the prop right up next to the tail to help move the CG forward, but I retracted it because you clearly have that under control. I don't mind the equipment hanging out as long as the wires are kept clean looking like yours.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2008, 07:13 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
Here is the video from today, Olivia did a nice job on it.
Sorry about youtube quality, but my video quota is full here on rcgroups

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVXP0oYD-mY
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2008, 07:18 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
Awesome!
Old Apr 24, 2008, 08:13 PM
Into the Wild Blue Wonder
ATL
Joined Jan 2007
1,018 Posts
Looks great in the air, too!

Jasta
Jasta_66 is offline Find More Posts by Jasta_66
Old Apr 24, 2008, 09:09 PM
Registered Triplane Addict
Winchester MA
Joined Jun 2004
1,770 Posts
awesome! and great camera work there on the video.
68Strat is offline Find More Posts by 68Strat