HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2014, 08:33 PM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
361 Posts
Are there any more of these around? I can't comment on the nose gear but I have one that is almost finished. The canopy is cracked and I'd like to try to get a new one.

Comments on how this flies?? Comments about construction or design pitfalls?

Bob
N1EDM is offline Find More Posts by N1EDM
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2014, 08:47 PM
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined Sep 2009
332 Posts
It flies very well. Quite stable even hands off with a bit of wind.
Really the only issue is with the nose gear. THe other minor issue is that
there is precious little room inside. Requires a bit of finesse to fit
everything in. I had a little fraying at the edge of my canopy, which I fixed with a little tape.
Here you can find a useful recap of infos.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632903
Do you have airbrakes or flaps?
ululi1970 is offline Find More Posts by ululi1970
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:10 PM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
361 Posts
Thanks a lot ululi. I have to take the plane down from the shelf to finish it. I've got the split airbrakes in it and have flaps also I'm going to get a kick out of using those airbrakes... Any cautions or warnings on those or the flaps?

Bob
Old Mar 25, 2014, 07:08 AM
Joined Sep 2009
332 Posts
Bob,
I am curious as to how you do flaps and airbrakes.
do you have two servos (one for the top, the other for the bottom)?

Make sure you add a little reflex to the elevons before your maiden. Both should be up 1/8" or so. That will prevent the wing to pitch down right after taking off.
You can then trim it as you see fit.

As I said, stable in flight, and aside from the lading issues, a good flier. Generates a lot of attention at my field too...

Alberto
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:14 AM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
361 Posts
Hi Ululi,

I have to take it down and look at it again to be sure but I believe that mine has a single servo per wing with an odd linkage system that I had to fiddle with. I put it aside when there was a problem with the linkages connecting to the ailerons.

I have a few planes that I'm working on to get back into the air, now that I am retired, and this is on the list. I'll look a little closer and get back to you.

Bob
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:52 AM
Joined Sep 2009
332 Posts
I am asking because my understanding was that the first batch had the airbrakes, while the second had the flaps. Using 4 slim servos (two per wing), the top and bottom part of the airbrakes can be operated independently, giving you a combination of flaps, crow or airbrakes. As for the linkage, you can use two
nearby holes in the horn (for a single servo) to drive the top and bottom part of the airbrake, using different holes on the control surface side to make sure you get even up/down movement. I did it in a more complicated way, Of course, with two slim servos things get easier.

Some people say that you need flaps to take off from grass. We have a fairly long runway, and it takes a while to get airborne without flaps but not too bad.
You can also play with the height of the front wheel to increase or decrease the AoA on the ground, within limits. Too much, and it will take off too soon and likely stall. Also, it will increase the tendency to bounce during landing, with the usual problem of bending the gear. Too little, and it won't leave the ground.

Let me know how it goes. What are you planning to use as a power plant?

Alberto
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2014, 07:54 PM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
361 Posts
Hello Alberto,

I finally had a chance to look at my kit. It's weathered the past two years very well. Mine has the split airbrakes inboard and the ailerons/elevons outboard. I am using a single servo per wing for the airbrakes and have to make up one servo mount. I also seem to have 'stolen' three of the servos that I had set aside for the project and now need to get three more S3010's to drop in there. With the other work that I'm trying to complete, I don't think that I'll have the LD in the air this year. Or, late this year at best.

We have a grass runway that is always kept very well groomed. I'll heed your advice on the takeoffs. I wonder if some reflex in the elevons would help? Has anyone tried this?

It occurs to me that the Lightning Dart is 3/4 Klingberg Flying Wing and 1/4 Simitar. :-)

The power plant is currently a OS-40FP with a 10x6 pusher. What have you been using?

Bob
Old Mar 28, 2014, 06:43 AM
Joined Sep 2009
332 Posts
Hi, yes reflex is a must. A little less that 1/8". I did not have it maiden, and as soon as the LD went airborne it pitched down, resulting in a bent nose gear. With reflex, no problem, well aside from the bent gear on landing.
I use standard servos. FOr the power plant, I use a Super Tigre .51, with a 10x7 pusher, though I will try also a 3 blade one once the engine is properly broken in.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2014, 08:16 AM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
361 Posts
Thanks, Alberto. I'll be sure to put in some Reflex.

And, I can always upgrade the power to a 46AX. I hadn't thought about a 3-blade prop but it sounds very interesting.

Bob
Old May 26, 2014, 10:42 AM
Joined Sep 2009
332 Posts
First landing without bending gears!

I finally manage a landing without messing up the front wheel. I had to abort the landing two times. At the third time, I manage to be quite low when over-the-fence, with half airbrakes on, which was good as it likes to land hot. Things get tricky when entering ground effect at ~2' from deck. My normal reaction was
to start the flare then, but it immediately starts ballooning. So the trick seems to be to wait and be very careful with the flare. The idea is to avoid a balloon to stall to nose drop to hit front wheel first situations. Better go around, assuming fuel is not an issue, than risking a bend...
RCG Plus Member