kad
Quad Crasher
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined May 2012
675 Posts
Discussion
Flying boat for new (to airplanes) pilot

Hi all,
I've been flying multirotors for a couple of years but I've a desire to try an airplane and the flying boat style of waterplane appeals to me. (Always loved the look of the PBY5) Now, I don't know if I'll be able to get something that meets all my desires, but the following is what I'm looking for and I'm hoping folks here can make some recommendations.
  • Small - I have limited water space to operate from
  • Electric powered (absolute must)
  • ARF or simple to build kit
  • Easy to fly (I have minimal airplane experience)
  • I have Hitec, FrSky Taranis and DSM (via module added to Taranis) radios, so a BNF is fine)

-K
kad is offline Find More Posts by kad
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2014, 03:27 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,721 Posts
The Multiplex Fun Cub on 'Plex floats is pretty good. The same company's MiniMag is smaller and according to a mate flies even better.

If you actually do want a flying boat, the PuddleMaster (see the thread on this Forum) is very good, cheap, fun.
Sopwith Mike is online now Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Oct 06, 2014, 07:59 PM
Seaplane Nerd
Joined Jan 2005
841 Posts
Polaris. Unbelievably forgiving. All foam. Delta wing allows incredibly slow flight.
JimCasey is offline Find More Posts by JimCasey
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:53 PM
rotorhead....
United States, GA, McDonough
Joined Feb 2008
41 Posts
Scott Swansons slow boat. Hoosier cutout service sells them precut for a VERY reasonable price. Super floaty airplane. You could takeoff and land in a puddle if you need to. The videos of the low speed tip dipping give you an idea of its capabilities. I have personally built/flown/crashed/repaired several and would highly reccomend them.
If I remember right there was one guy on the thread that kept folding his wings. I put a carbon spar on the leading edge of mine as well as in the plans location. The wings are super stiff and super strong.
Good luck and be sure to post up which airplane you land on. Flying boats are a blast!
Hookdriver is offline Find More Posts by Hookdriver