SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:00 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,236 Posts
Discussion
Opinions wanted on CMP BF 109

I'm looking at a 73 inch CMP BF 109 ARF. I am wanting to hear from anybody who has or had this model.
How was the fit and quality? Covering?
What motor did you use and what performance did you get?
And how durable are these models?

Thank you for your input.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Last edited by scootrb4; Jan 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: added a pic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:51 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,357 Posts
I DON"T have any experience with this one so my reply should be taken as such.
I like the overall look of this one. As well as the price. I like the scheme better than the new one from H9 too. Just a couple concerns though.
What's up with the airbrakes? Is there a good/easy way to get rid of them? Then there is the landing gear. What cheats were used there? I think with the 109 it is usual for the manufacture to cheat on the gear to make ground handling better. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. I'm not a true scale nut yet, but I do like the gear to look right, or at least close. I'll deal with one that you have to be carefull with, but I fly from grass so if the design limits you to a small tire to make it work I'll pass.
So, guys with experience please let us know about those two things as well. I'm in the market for a new 109 to replace my Kyosho. The plane flys great, but the gear are a giant PITA. Limited to 2.25" wheels at an angel that bends the struts constantly and way more nose overs than I can count.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:45 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,236 Posts
V2, the manufacture did take some liberties. It is NOT a plane for scale nuts. Looks like the LG have been spread and straightened a little. I had a 1400mm foamy like that & it handled okay compared to another similar foam plane with scale gear which were always bending. I'm looking to replace my foam models with wood. ESM has a good looking model in the same 71-73 inch size, but ESm models are heavy.
P.S. The video on the nitro planes website is flown from grass

Any input is appreciated.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:08 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,725 Posts
I dont have this one but I've had 3 cmp planes in the past, and in my opinion, they built heavy. The hardware is low quality and I would suggest throwing it away and using your own that you're comfortable with. The fiberglass sides in the fuze tend to get floppy sometimes and you might need a little stiffening to fix it. Years back cmp did stupid things like lightening holes in the retract mount ribs. I had to beef them up using 1/8" ply. I suggest you rip out the servo tray and make your own to help with balancing. I used 4-40 steel rod in tube for the elevator and rudder which worked out nice. But its a pain gluing in the supports for the pushrods on every fuse former. Its a nice base starting point to give you the flexibility to setup it up right. Other than that, they CAN be made to fly pretty decent. Just fly it like heavy metal and you should be fine.
Edwin
Forgot to mention, all of them flew best with minimal elevator. I had 2 spitfires and a zero. Too much elev and they will snap at the top of a loop and go into a nasty spin. If your up high, its actually a little fun to play around like that.
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:53 PM
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Sep 2004
207 Posts
Although it is in the gas to electric conversion section there is lots of good info in the following thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=cmp+bf+109

Regards,

Eusebio
ek123 is offline Find More Posts by ek123
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:38 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I have this plane. It flies fine and looks decent enough. The gear is a bit wider then scale, but not horrible. The Sierra giant gear for the ESM me-109 will fit.

The airbrakes are NOT airbrakes. The lower portions are the INNER flaps. The top portions are also scale in that the real plane did have these that moved upwards or downwards based on temperature. The top portions can simply be glued in place to not move if you dont want them to. I never really found a reason to use them even though I did make them work(on a different channel then the flaps.)

The hardware in this kit is mostly decent enough to use, however, I upgraded the tail wheel assembly for something a bit better looking. I did not use the kits wheels, but instead used 4" size tires.

Power wise, mine is electric. E-flite power 160 on 10s spinning an 18x12 prop. Others have used 2 stroke 1.08's or 4 strokes 150's, 180's. My electric one with batteries weighs 16.5 pounds with full pilot figure.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:38 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,144 Posts
Watch all of his videos. Low quality because old...

Building a Messerschmitt BF 109 F Nitro Plane Chapter 1A (9 min 46 sec)
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:06 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Oct 2011
20 Posts
I had one of these and thought it was crap, the glass is real flexi,to main wing didnt line up and to many moving surfaces on it.better off looking at the esm 109.I just got the 50cc 88" from esm and what a beauty it is, very well finished.Im just starting to order my parts for it.esm also do a 73". I think thats the size,around that anyway.
justice1 is offline Find More Posts by justice1
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:25 PM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,144 Posts
ESM is much better indeed.

KM
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:29 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Yes...it is. However, if you want an F or G, the CMP is the only one in the 73" size range. Not a bad plane.

Giant scale size....that 87" ESM ME-109G is an awesome looking machine.

Hangar 9 is releasing a 60 size @ 64" this month...so thats another option....about time too
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:07 PM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,144 Posts
Does not beat Meister Scale

Bf-109 G Me-109 G (2 min 28 sec)

BTW dont mind the landing......... Hahahahaha
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:47 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2003
86 Posts
A "little" reading for you. Will give a feel for quality and things to do for a really good airframe. Not bad out of the box as I am not a purist but some guys have taken this ARF to the next level...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_78..._1/key_/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4845605/tm.htm

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852296

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10168976/tm.htm
RAMFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RAMFlyer
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:23 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,236 Posts
Wow, That's months worth of reading. Thank you