HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:39 PM
United States, NC, Mint Hill
Joined Sep 2011
34 Posts
Discussion
Tow line parachute rigging

I know this probably sound like a ridiculous question, but how do I rig my tow line parachute so it isn't catching the wind on the way up? Seems like I should be able to turn it around somehow until it drops, but darn if I can't seem to figure out how to do this. On my last two launches it seemed as if the parachute filled with air, causing the plane to go into a stall and crash. I don't want to repeat this ever again. In lieu of a parachute I'll use a streamer if I can't resolve this issue. Help this NEWBE.
Freeway1966 is offline Find More Posts by Freeway1966
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:56 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,693 Posts
see attached pdf. Put the parachute ring on first then the tow ring. That's not quite what is shown there but put the tow ring just bellow the chute and the other ring at the top. I'v never understood why they pull from the top of the chute
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Last edited by Quick61; Jul 22, 2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Sep 2011
34 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I had this drawing which came with the Hi-Start I bought from Great Planes. Unfortunately with this set up the chute fills with air during launch, which is what I'm trying to avoid.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:51 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,693 Posts
Most of the time they don't do that but I'v seen it happen before. Last year i watched a guy launching and he rigged his histart the way I described That way, the chute always went up top first and never caught air and slowed the pull.
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Sep 2011
34 Posts
OK, I am confused now. If I understood your first reply correctly, I connect the ring attached to the lines going to the top of the chute on the hook first, and then connect the second ring, the one on the bottom of the chute which is connected to the tow line, on the same hook? Now that I have connected the chute to my hook I guess the strain is on the second ring, and the chute will simply trail behind, and not catch the wind. Might work!! Thanks, I'll try it that way.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:37 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
902 Posts
2 page thread about this here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1644096

Some good pics bottom of pg1, and top of pg2.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:50 AM
Gary L
Dexter, Kansas
Joined Oct 2009
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway1966 View Post
On my last two launches it seemed as if the parachute filled with air, causing the plane to go into a stall and crash. I don't want to repeat this ever again.
I would suggest you may have a process problem, not an equipment issue. If you're blossoming the chute on the way up, the cause is almost certainly lack of sufficient tension.

Three questions:

- Are you using the "standard" or "heavy duty" high start?
- How far are you stretching the rubber?
- How heavy is the sailplane you're trying to launch?

Incidentally, have you read this?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155353
AMA69405 is offline Find More Posts by AMA69405