HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:44 PM
India
Joined Feb 2006
105 Posts
Discussion
help adding a potentiometer on one channel..

I have a futaba T6EXHP transmitter..

Please tell me how to convert the 5th channel's switch to potentiometer...??
joy4u is offline Find More Posts by joy4u
Last edited by joy4u; Apr 04, 2012 at 12:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:53 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy4u View Post
I have a futaba T6EXHP transmitter.. Please tell me how to convert the 5th channel's switch to potentiometer...??
Futaba Response
"The Futaba 6EX FASST transmitter cannot have the 5th and 6th channel switches modified to a knob.
The processor only sees an "on" or "off" state for those two channels.
A rheostat or pot won't work in that application.
A three-position switch will also not work because the processor only recognizes two states, and not three. - Bax "
Bill Baxter, Manager Hobby Services/Futaba Service/North America

Not a pot, but check out:
Add 3 position Switch to T6EX

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:06 AM
Joined Apr 2012
7 Posts
Hi, maybe 2 silly questions: Do you know what's the difference beetwen a switch and a potentiometer? I think that the receiver 5th ch is designed to work like a switch "on-off" that's it , same as the tx. Now can you tell me, please what do you need the change for?. A potentiometer is a electronic device with 3 terminals, 2 of them are at the ends of a fixed resistor that serves like a runway or a floor on wich travels or slides (back and forth, not in a circle or closed) a conductor conected to a third terminal its typical use audio volume control, r-l audio balance. Check that in rc: Proportional could be directly or inversly and that it only can be achieved with a potentiometer. In a easy way let's say you move the joystick 4 cliks forward, the rx sends a signal to the servo (which in turn it has a potentiometer like the jstick too!) and the servo turns an arm 4 clicks forward ans that's directly proportional. (my jr tx has some feature like reverse-normal, that is directly changed to inversly...). The analog change of resistence made by your jstick potentiometer) and encoded by your tx is quite different to the open-close analog ( you c an read analog like mechanical, not digital, not solid state nor transistors) of the 5th channel open-close function in a circuit. Hope this will be useful for you hopely not more confusing, let me know. Again my question: " what do you want to do changing a sw for a pot.? And do you know what, by the way? My tx has 5 ch, 4 proportional, 1 called gear the 5th: On-off./ my rx has 7 ch. 2 of them labeled aux 1, aux 2 and really i don't know, not even tried if they are: Analog-digital; proportional-open/close???? I wonder if there is a tx with more than 4 proportional ch and what their use is... Don't worry... Be happy ! I've some electric,electronic knowledge, but i' relativly new in rc airplanes hobby...
ES201 is offline Find More Posts by ES201
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:06 AM
Joined Apr 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy4u View Post
i have a futaba t6exhp transmitter..

Please tell me how to convert the 5th channel's switch to potentiometer...??
hope you understood my post. It was more in electronics knowledge than in the application you need maybe. But i hope it was helpul to you...
ES201 is offline Find More Posts by ES201
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:56 AM
Joined May 2005
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES201 View Post
Do you know what's the difference beetwen a switch and a potentiometer? I think that the receiver 5th ch is designed to work like a switch "on-off" that's it , same as the tx.
No the receiver's channels all operate the same. Gear down is just the servo commanded to move to one end of it's extreme. Gear up is the other. If you had a radio happened to have a variable control on that channel, you could move the gear with the pot. (Using gear as an example). Some gear servos don't have an in-between position of course. But anyway.

The difference between a switch an a potentiometer is that a switch has two positions, one infinite resistance and one zero resistance. Whereas a pot has resistance from some value (say 10k ohms) to zero resistance.

But pots and switches don't directly have anything to do with the signal transmitted to the airplane on computer radios. The signal transmitted to the airplane (we'll call it an analog signal for all intents and purposes) is generated by the radio's computer, based on the input from hard-wired switches or pots. Where the firmware expects a switch you cannot place a pot and vice versa.
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:21 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,753 Posts
Quote:
And do you know what, by the way? My tx has 5 ch, 4 proportional, 1 called gear the 5th: On-off./ my rx has 7 ch. 2 of them labeled aux 1, aux 2 and really i don't know, not even tried if they are: Analog-digital; proportional-open/close???? I wonder if there is a tx with more than 4 proportional ch and what their use is... .
Channel 6 is most commonly used to control one aileron in a dual setup driven by a transmitter mix. This is of course, a proportional application. It may also be used as the flap channel, often with a three position switch for control, but sometimes with a rotary pot or slider. Many transmitters with seven or more channels have continuously variable (proportional) controls ( the JR 9503, for example, has a slider on each side).
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:51 AM
Grow old disgracefully!
Luton, UK
Joined May 2006
1,212 Posts
Quote:
...........I wonder if there is a tx with more than 4 proportional ch and what their use is... ...
Rudder, 2x elevator, motor, 2x flaps, 2x aileron - each one controlled via a separate proportional channel operated from 2 sticks and 2 sliders on the Tx through mixers.
That's 8 proportional channels.

Scale models and some gliders might have even more options.

Dick
dickw is offline Find More Posts by dickw