HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:33 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Yay! I made another baby step over the weekend.

My servo covers (with servos installed, doh) are now secured to the wing. All thats left is to get the horns onto the control surfaces and attach the linkage. I may have actually gotten it all together, but one of the horns when being separated from the horn backing snapped in half. Unfortunately that was all the excuse it took to finish packing my slope plans and heading out to fly.

Will have to see if I can rob a horn off something else I guess. Can't think of anything I need from Hobby King or R2 that would justify the shipping for just horns... I wonder if Aloft Hobbies carries horns.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:43 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,813 Posts
Jonathon,

I have some spares.. You going to be around the local area? I can drop some in an envelope and save you the drive.

I need to set up the flaps on mine, then we can take them out for some formation flying.
-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:55 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Jonathon,

I have some spares.. You going to be around the local area? I can drop some in an envelope and save you the drive.

I need to set up the flaps on mine, then we can take them out for some formation flying.
-Wayne
Wayne, that would be awesome although no worries about mailing me anything. I doubt I'll have time to take another stab at it for at least another couple weeks. I'm off on another business trip to Asia from 3/10-3/18. Maybe, just maybe, if I'm not too wiped out and the sun really does stay up longer, I might be able to squeak in a little flying on the evening of 3/18. I'll be in touch, but if you are free I may at least try to drive down on the 18th to pick up some toys from you.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:35 PM
PACHEK
Spain, CT, Barcelona
Joined Jan 2012
28 Posts
Bad Flight Experience

Before anything I have to say that previous to this flight I moved the battery a little to back as an attempt to make this slower while soaring.

For the first moments looked so good, like really slow flying with very nice attitude, then all of a sudden started to make funny things like Ups & Downs where I had apparently no control over...pleas take a look on the video and u will see the funny part on the last half a minute. In my opinion is the typical behaviour u get when the COG is not centered and way too backward, opinions are welcome

Worst was it took me like 45 minutes to find the plane on that part of the mountain was full of high bushes, not funny, I just found it like 15 minutes before dark come total !

COLLSEROLLA 3 (2 min 12 sec)
pachek is offline Find More Posts by pachek
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:49 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,813 Posts
Hmm, not sure what happened there.. It was flying pretty well in the start of the video, maybe just a tad tail heavy as it seemed to slip into a stall nose high. Either something let go, radio lock out, or over controlled recovery attempts. Looks like you regained control at the very end.

Kind of looked like you had no elevator control for a while..?

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:50 AM
PACHEK
Spain, CT, Barcelona
Joined Jan 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Hmm, not sure what happened there.. It was flying pretty well in the start of the video, maybe just a tad tail heavy as it seemed to slip into a stall nose high. Either something let go, radio lock out, or over controlled recovery attempts. Looks like you regained control at the very end.

Kind of looked like you had no elevator control for a while..?

-Wayne
THanks for your advice, I think I lost radio control for a while...after checking at home the cheap ESC I bought seems to be overheated pretty soon and for example motor stop working after like 5 min. My guess is that the Elevator get stuck on going up, cause all heavy elements inside the plane were on position. I dunnnnno really, good point is that the plane landed on a hhigh bush and is in perfect shape so I hope next week I will re-try to know what happen
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:39 AM
New Zealand, Wellington, Porirua
Joined May 2006
613 Posts
I have started building mine and have noticed that the 2 wings are different! I did not want to mount the servos as per the design (sticking up out of the wing) so I set too and opened up the wing so I could mount them in the wing and flat. One wing has a square section of ply, pre cut and glued in that I easily removed, leaving nice little corners to screw the new ply servo covert to. The other wing just had one big bit of ply with no cut outs, so I had to cut my own holes.

I thought it was a pretty weird setup. Has any one else had this??
jonoashton is online now Find More Posts by jonoashton
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:32 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
798 Posts
This is really strange, maybe it's a sign of things to come?
Would be really nice if they all were like your second photo.
8thelephant is online now Find More Posts by 8thelephant
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:05 AM
PACHEK
Spain, CT, Barcelona
Joined Jan 2012
28 Posts
Battery Placement

Hi

Im still trying to find the correct Centre of Gravity for my Raptor, Im using a Turnigy 1800 mAh which weights 153 gr according catalog

I show some pics in the attachment about what I think is ideal battery position but still not sure since sometimes acts floater, sometimes as a ballistic bullet...

What u think based in ur own experience?

thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:00 PM
PACHEK
Spain, CT, Barcelona
Joined Jan 2012
28 Posts
Well I think my raptor did last flight today...

It was Flying SO good, I did some video

COLLSEROLA 4 (3 min 2 sec)

Then all of a sudden during an strong curved I was doing the Left Wing just BROKE!!!

I wonder wether the Wing was internally damages before and I did not notice or just the Plane is not as good as to resist a little G-Force

Do someone has an Spare Left Wing to Sell ????

Otherwise I think Im done with this Model, the repairing will take like half kilogram epoxy to work ! see images attached
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:14 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachek View Post
Hi

Im still trying to find the correct Centre of Gravity for my Raptor, Im using a Turnigy 1800 mAh which weights 153 gr according catalog

I show some pics in the attachment about what I think is ideal battery position but still not sure since sometimes acts floater, sometimes as a ballistic bullet...

What u think based in ur own experience?

thanks!
I think that if the c/g is moving around between flights, then some weight in the plane is moving around. That's the only thing it could be. Battery pack would be the suspect, as it's the heaviest. Even if you think the battery pack is stable, it WILL move around with the stresses gnd g-forces during a normal flight. Even more so during a flight with lots of aerodynamic maneuvers (acrobatics). Velcro is sometimes not sufficient to keep a pack in place, if you can't pull it extremely tight.

I use something called 'Non Slip Pad' grips. It's lkinda like rubber, seems sticky, but not really. It's meant for putting on your car dashboard (do cars even HAVE dashboards these days?) so your sunglasses or cell phone doesn't slide around. I put it on the bottom of the battery, glued with silcone RTV (bathtub caulk). Pack doesn't slide around a bit.
Good luck
--
Greg
botulism is online now Find More Posts by botulism
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:24 PM
Seeker of Thermals
Joined Aug 2004
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachek View Post
Well I think my raptor did last flight today...

...Then all of a sudden during an strong curved I was doing the Left Wing just BROKE!!!

I wonder wether the Wing was internally damages before and I did not notice or just the Plane is not as good as to resist a little G-Force
Oh no... this is just what I hoped not to see. Reports of broken wings coming in as the flying season gets underway. Buying an RTF is a hit and miss thing, as you have no idea the construction of the wing. Or if they used any glue at all. Or if the balsa wood looked like swiss cheese.

This is not good. My condolences for your Raptor.

p.s. How hard of a 'strong curved' were you doing? Pylon racer style (wings vertical, full up elevator to make the turn?

--
Greg
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:31 PM
PACHEK
Spain, CT, Barcelona
Joined Jan 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
Oh no... this is just what I hoped not to see. Reports of broken wings coming in as the flying season gets underway. Buying an RTF is a hit and miss thing, as you have no idea the construction of the wing. Or if they used any glue at all. Or if the balsa wood looked like swiss cheese.

This is not good. My condolences for your Raptor.

p.s. How hard of a 'strong curved' were you doing? Pylon racer style (wings vertical, full up elevator to make the turn?

--
Greg
Well it was more that It was going up really fast combined with front Wind...but to be honest I did fast loopings before with cheaper balsa wing planes and had no problem

The interior of the wing after it was broken doesnt look very well glued or stiff and the D-Box made on epoxy just brake like a paper ON FLIGHT, which really surprised me

Im not saying the plane is crap, as I said before might a previous crash made it weaker, but 4 sure I wont buy it again. I will give a try to some other brand just to change

Again if someone wants to sell a Raptor Wing is welcome to be sent to Barcelona
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:34 PM
Seeker of Thermals
Joined Aug 2004
665 Posts
Raptor 2000 with Spektrum DX8

I'm sure this isn't the right forum, but has anyone used the Raptor with a 6 channel receiver and Spektrum DX8 transmitter?
THR
R AIL
R ELV
L AIL
L ELV
FLAP (on a Y cable).
I set up the wing type in the DX8 as 2 aileron servo, 1 flap servo, and the tail as 'V-tail'. I can get it ALMOST to work, mixing some rudder in with the ailerons. But, when I try the rudder alone (mode 2 - on the left stick) it's backwards. I have tried reversing both elevator channels (then the aileron mixing goes the wrong way), moving the throw to -100%, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.
--
Greg
Last edited by botulism; Mar 17, 2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: corrected error
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:15 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,317 Posts
Set it up so the rudder is right way around and work from there . It is a disaster waiting to happen to have rudder backwards. Set it up right and then work on mixing to the wing.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM