SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 10, 2011, 04:02 PM
Joined Feb 2010
6 Posts
Discussion
brushed to brushless

When I went to convert my Lil rascal to brushless, I didn't want to tear up the whole frony end to do it. The old geared motor was in a clamshell mount. I found that a chunk of 1 1/8 dowel fit perfectly. A flat firewall was exoxied to the dowel and the outrunner screwed on. The battery had to be moved forward as far as possible.
gray raven is offline Find More Posts by gray raven
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2011, 04:46 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray raven View Post
When I went to convert my Lil rascal to brushless, I didn't want to tear up the whole frony end to do it. The old geared motor was in a clamshell mount. I found that a chunk of 1 1/8 dowel fit perfectly. A flat firewall was exoxied to the dowel and the outrunner screwed on. The battery had to be moved forward as far as possible.
How about some photos.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:10 PM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
I converted mine to brushless using an Ultrafly outrunner. It pretty much mounted the front end of the fuse using the hole that were already there from the geared brushed motor and gearbox. I'm using an Ultrafly Apollo 12 speed control which is way overkill for this plane and the motor is way too much for it also but it is so much fun. I'm using a Thunder Power Pro-Lite 3s910 for the battery and it fits in the stock location. I drilled some holes in the battery cover to allow some airflow across the speed control and the battery. This thing has so much power that it is almost unbelievable. I would try to post some video of it but it is too fast for my wife to keep the camera focused on it. My favorite thing to do with it is go straight up and stop. As soon as it stops I'll input full right rudder along with full up elevator, nail the throttle and just let it spin. I don't fly it much though but when I do it's a blast. Heck I may even take it out tomorrow. I would like to see some pics as well. I'll try to get some of mine when I get a chance and get them posted.
gluemaster is offline Find More Posts by gluemaster