HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:01 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,864 Posts
Ive been using trex 500 landing gear on my scarab euro but theyre not quite tall enough for what I want to do. Im looking for something like those on the x650 pic below that could be fitted to the scarab. The x650 ones have a specific mounting design that wouldnt work with the flat plate of the scarab. Any ideas?

Im not so keen on the carbon mwc legs. Too much $$$
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:51 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
thanks, what pins are you using from the lipo? is there a connector designed to connect to the balance connector that isnt on a board?
You get buy connectors here: http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...cat=252&page=4
Mike SF is offline Find More Posts by Mike SF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Website and Showreel
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:58 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
655 Posts
Quote:
I have a quick question for you guys who have moved to 4s, how do you power your video TX?

Mine is 12v so I was looking for a smaller 3s battery to power it, how do I determine how long the lipo can power the vTX?

I have a 200mw vTX could I use a 350mah or 500mah?

Any help would be appreciated?
Where so you mount the battery on the scarab?
I'm using a 400 mW vTX + E-OSD + FPV camera powered throught the balance plug of a 4S lipo. No interferences in the video. I'm using 3 ferrite rings to suppress noise: one at the vTX, one directly at the 12v power distribution behind the balance plug and the third in the 5V UBEC line to the Paris board. I tried a fourth one in my servo line (tricopter), but it did not have any effect so I removed it to save weight.
Mike SF is offline Find More Posts by Mike SF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Website and Showreel
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:49 PM
France, IdF, Châtenay-Malabry
Joined Aug 2010
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glambert View Post
With all the feedback received, I thought that I would better do it and test it... Here is it, the Scarab compliant with cabin luggage for frequent travelers... I cut the booms to 12 cm then the 8'' props just not overlap with the frame. This gives a diagonal of about 40 cm. I hesitated between using only the small frames or the quadocta frame but I found it is taking less place in the case with the quadocta frame. Very stable flight when auto level is on. Not tested in FPV yet as I miss some daylight when I come back from work... Gregory
Finally not a good idea for FPV. LOS was ok but way too unstable for FPV, even after trying different PID configurations. Increasing PID gave wobble before having a stable quad...
glambert is offline Find More Posts by glambert
Old Nov 17, 2011, 01:16 AM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
http://youtu.be/8BNojO4uc7I?hd=1

Bay Area Super Prestige Race #2, Sierra Point San Francisco California.
Scarab QuadOctakopta, Carbonbird 775kv motors and Paris v.4 - FTW!
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Nov 17, 2011, 01:17 AM
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_OZ View Post
hey guys,

here is something a little different..... i shot this for a mate who removed a 45m (147ft) tree from a backyard in Sydney Australia... Aerial shots were done using a multiwiicopter PARIS Sirius & SCARAB YSiix and hexiicopter - http://www.multiwiicopter.com/produc...opter-multiwii

hope you all enjoy!!

Cheers,

John

http://vimeo.com/31945584
Nicely done John! Lots of great camera angles make it fun to watch all the way through.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 01:37 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
are you flying with the gopro FPV or anther camera?

without seeing the props isnt it hard to tell what the tilt of the multicopter is?
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:04 AM
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
are you flying with the gopro FPV or anther camera?

without seeing the props isnt it hard to tell what the tilt of the multicopter is?
FPV using the GoPro. The camera is tilted down maybe 5 degrees. I mainly look at the direction and distance to the ground to get my bearings in flight.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:16 AM
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Here's a video I shot for the Singlespeed Cyclocross World Championship held yesterday (11/20/2011) at San Francisco's Golden Gate Park.

It was an exciting race with costumed riders and many obstacles. It rained a lot, but I was able to fly in the mist between storms. The riders were awesomely-muddy from the course.

Aerial footage was shot using my MultiWiiCopter.com Scarab QuadOctakopta and Stealth all controlled by Paris v.4 Sirius boards.

SSCXWC 2011 - MWC Aerial Footage (4 min 2 sec)

Cheers,
Jason
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:18 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,087 Posts
brilliant
BayAreaCrasher is offline Find More Posts by BayAreaCrasher
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:27 AM
Joined Aug 2010
287 Posts
Hello,

A little question on Carbonbirds and triple prop. I just converted my scarab quadocta to the carbonbirds and triples and 4S. I did the first flight test this morning a I noticed that while gentle flying is very smooth and vibration free, when opening widely the throttle I a one of the motors/prop that tends to climb faster than the 3 others, this activates the level correction from my multiwii controller and gives small vibrations while giving me much less power and climb speed than I am used to on the former 3S / 8' prop. The triples are perfectly equilibrated.

Could this be a bad prop with maybe a slightly differents (increased) pitch? Other ideas?

Gregory
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:25 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
Have you calibrated the ESCs?

Might be worth redoing once.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:30 PM
Joined Aug 2010
287 Posts
I did it with the Turnigy programming card. Good idea to double check maybe I have a different timing on this one... Greg
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:54 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
no, calibrate them to the reciever

http://www.multiwiicopter.com/pages/multiwiicopter-wiki
Quote:
I also get my engines calibrated perfectly in 1 step -> using this combo-calibration-Wii lead I made (below) -
So I now can program all Six/four/Three engines in a single step - hooked direct to the Tx/Rx THRO port -
follow your owners manual ESC calibration procedure : -
Full Throttle ->
PWR to ESC on ->
2 Beeps ->
Throttle to idle ->
3 Beeps - Done!

This is only used to calibrate all engines so the props turn at exactly the same time - it is not used for flying!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:56 AM
Joined Nov 2011
2 Posts
Calibrate the Paris-card/transmitter?

Hi there.

How important is it to calibrate the transmitter to the Paris-card (V4, 0)?
And how do I do then?
I need advice on a basic approach to the Futaba transmitter that fit well when I filming and photograph with Copter'n.

Thanks in advance from a novice at this.....

/ / Thomas.
Nyholm is offline Find More Posts by Nyholm