SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:26 AM
BMFA 190658
SilentPilot's Avatar
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,665 Posts
Chips is chips
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:04 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
30 Posts
...weather is crap. In order to keep the "Happy" in Happy Owner... AND support the international flair of this thread, I made a run for a sixer of Guinness.

Yeah, for a "Colonial" I pretty much have it going on.
AJay Newb is offline Find More Posts by AJay Newb
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:09 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJay Newb View Post
...weather is crap. In order to keep the "Happy" in Happy Owner... AND support the international flair of this thread, I made a run for a sixer of Guinness.

Yeah, for a "Colonial" I pretty much have it going on.
See if you can find Murphys. Less iron and more like chocolate.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:54 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,720 Posts
CG at 70mm, SFG installed. More symetical wing. Two good landings and much more controllable. Two zero damage landings and lots of fun. Flipped on its back but a rough field will do that. Sweet.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:17 PM
BMFA 190658
SilentPilot's Avatar
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,665 Posts
I'm thinking of fitting SFGs or Winglets myself.
Do you care to share your design?
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:51 PM
Registered User
Canada, MB
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
I'm thinking of fitting SFGs or Winglets myself.
Do you care to share your design?
See my posts #2104, 2143, 2154, 2244
Flying By is offline Find More Posts by Flying By
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:00 PM
BMFA 190658
SilentPilot's Avatar
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,665 Posts
Thankyou
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:06 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
I'm thinking of fitting SFGs or Winglets myself.
Do you care to share your design?
Used this one. a few others out there. I used lexan and screws with glued in blind nuts plus glue.This one has a nice printable decal too!.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2143
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:37 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
30 Posts
I have ran out of skill before... tonight I ran out of skill and altitude.

It's going to be a Gorilla Glue type of evening.
AJay Newb is offline Find More Posts by AJay Newb
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:58 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
Used this one. a few others out there. I used lexan and screws with glued in blind nuts plus glue.This one has a nice printable decal too!.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2143
Nice ! How are they working?
AJay Newb is offline Find More Posts by AJay Newb
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:01 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJay Newb View Post
Nice ! How are they working?
I did three things.

First the winglets. Lower stall speed.

Second steamed the wings and out popped the symetrical airfoil. More on the port so it still stalls first to starboard. More on that when finished

Moved the CG back to 70mm instead of all the way forward. More balanced and less likely to pitch up with power. Doesn't dive in a turn so less likely to balloon.

All in all a much slower bird and lighter to control. I have a 1/4 inch under strap but I'm using the blue lipos so I would recommend the CG not the position.

Steaming also popped out the rounded edges of the wings and ailerons giving smoother stalls.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:15 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
I did three things.

First the winglets. Lower stall speed.

Second steamed the wings and out popped the symetrical airfoil. More on the port so it still stalls first to starboard. More on that when finished

Moved the CG back to 70mm instead of all the way forward. More balanced and less likely to pitch up with power. Doesn't dive in a turn so less likely to balloon.

All in all a much slower bird and lighter to control. I have a 1/4 inch under strap but I'm using the blue lipos so I would recommend the CG not the position.

Steaming also popped out the rounded edges of the wings and ailerons giving smoother stalls.
Thanks Rick !
Doing a little repair tonight and plan on re-riggin' it. The tip stalls are driving me nuts. The full forward CG isn't much fun to fly... to fast and like you said, leads to ballooning.


EDIT: Hey Rick, what is your elevator trim like with that CG?
AJay Newb is offline Find More Posts by AJay Newb
Last edited by AJay Newb; Oct 10, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:22 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJay Newb View Post
Thanks Rick !
Doing a little repair tonight and plan on re-riggin' it. The tip stalls are driving me nuts. The full forward CG isn't much fun to fly... to fast and like you said, leads to ballooning.
In addition I have REALLY limited the aileron throws. Less likely to overcontrol
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:23 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
In addition I have REALLY limited the aileron throws. Less likely to overcontrol
As in, you didn't over correct for a WAY TOO LOW to be trying knife-edge, flop inverted and then recover by pulling a split-s into the turf "over control"... ?
AJay Newb is offline Find More Posts by AJay Newb
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:27 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
30 Posts
Where is the Happy?

I crashed, I fixed, I flew again... I'm happy, what's up with the rest of the gang?
AJay Newb is offline Find More Posts by AJay Newb
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Parkzone's F4F Wildcat Owners Thread ChuckTseeker Electric Warbirds 14466 Today 10:34 AM
Discussion Parkzone Sukhoi SU-26XP Owners thread tdriedger Micro Ready-to-Fly 3019 Jul 17, 2014 07:51 PM
Cool Its here!!!! Parkzone extra 300 lightspeeddud Parkflyers 26 May 31, 2010 09:34 PM
Discussion The first OFFICIAL Parkzone Sukhoi SU-26XP BNF by ParkZone Owners thread skyjet Micro Ready-to-Fly 2 Mar 19, 2010 04:00 PM
Parkzone F-27 Stryker owners--Are you happy with it? BuzzBomber Parkflyers 43 Mar 21, 2008 11:49 PM