HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 01:37 AM
Simple, Easy, Fun
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2013
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Thanks North. We must have been typing at the same time.

Osmosis, like North, I also never broke a wing or seriously damaged one while flying.

ALL of the BCS pictures came from RCG or from a Google search.

Cheers,
Gabe
Gabe_BigApple is online now Find More Posts by Gabe_BigApple
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gabe_BigApple; Today at 05:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 07:50 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
United States, WA, Vashon
Joined Sep 2013
1,144 Posts
Ha. Well, it's a pretty sturdy model.
thosmosis is online now Find More Posts by thosmosis
Old Today, 11:29 AM
Just Taking Off....
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2013
41 Posts
I would say that most of us do things......because WE like to do them. I wouldn't do a mod to make the forum happy (it never would work out...too many "not scale", "too heavy", "wrong color", etc..) as the resulting feedback would KILL the spirit of discovery.
As stated in a different post, I have done things to my Champ that I read...on this very thread...wouldn't work. But I fly every day I can with that little plane...and it seems to work just fine.
I appreciate ALL of the ideas...not just ones that have been "proven". Keep up the good work, everyone!
Hopbrau is offline Find More Posts by Hopbrau
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 11:45 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
United States, WA, Vashon
Joined Sep 2013
1,144 Posts
I think it's quite clever. And would be convenient for transport. If you rode a bike or something and wanted to take a Champ with you!
thosmosis is online now Find More Posts by thosmosis
Old Today, 03:24 PM
Simple, Easy, Fun
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2013
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis View Post
Ha. Well, it's a pretty sturdy model.
It's not just about sturdiness.

Clipping the wings makes an airplane less draggy and gives less roll stability (more maneuverability). It's a common mod in aircraft, from Champs and Cubs, to Spitfires and other "big boy toy" type aircraft.

You get faster flying, faster maneuvers, longer run times.

You can clip the wings without adding the magnets, but it's a pain to cut the wing while it's still on the plane and make nice square cuts that you can easily re-join later.

Also, if you do a non-mag Clipped-Wing you're sort of stuck with it. Doing the Mag-Wing gives you options and you can swap the wings back and forth. If you crash you will be less likely to do any damage, but like you said, it's a pretty sturdy plane -- if you're a good pilot that it's not an issue for you, you can certainly ignore this part of it.

Oh, yeah, if you get the mod kit, you also get 2 free water-slide decals. At some point I will get around to putting them on the website, but for now, I've just been adding them to people's orders. They add no weight, are easy to apply and (IMHO) they looks pretty snazzy.

Cheers,
Gabe
Gabe_BigApple is online now Find More Posts by Gabe_BigApple
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Single-stick Tx design thread