SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2010, 02:49 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
That thing is looking great Tony. Nitroplanes should have given you that DC-3 cause you probably already got a few peeps to buy one just seeing yours.

Although, its not a DC-3 anymore.
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2010, 03:06 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithonion View Post
That thing is looking great Tony. Nitroplanes should have given you that DC-3 cause you probably already got a few peeps to buy one just seeing yours.

Although, its not a DC-3 anymore.
Appreciate the kind words! For any Air Force Enlisted Member, the story of A1C John Levitow (Medal of Honor) is well known. Building this AC-47 is a tribute to him and every Vietnam Veteran. I'm really looking forward to seeing it in the air!

A1C John L. Levitow Biography
Airman First Class John L. Levitow (November 1, 1945-November 8, 2000), was an AC-47 gunship loadmaster for the 3d Special Operations Squadron who became the lowest-ranking Airman ever to receive the Medal of Honor for exceptional heroism during wartime. On February 24, 1969, Levitow was asked to fill in for the regular loadmaster on an armed AC-47 named "Spooky 71". They were flying night missions near the Tan Son Nhut Air base area when Long Binh came under attack. It was Airman Levitow's job to set the ejection and ignition controls on Mark 24 magnesium flares and pass to the gunner. These flares were three-foot-long, 27 pound metal tubes that would burn at 4000 degrees, illuminate with intensity of two million candlepower and burn for more than a minute.

As they were patrolling the area the pilot, Kenneth Carpenter of "Spooky 71" had seen muzzle flashes outside Long Binh Army Base. The pilot threw the AC-47 and its eight-man crew into a turn to engage the Viet Cong in the Tan Son Nhut Air Base area.

On the pilot's command, the gunner pulled the safety pin and tossed the flare through the open cargo door. Suddenly, Spooky 71 was jarred by a tremendous explosion. A North Vietnamese Army's 82-millimeter mortar shell hit the right wing and exploded inside the wing frame. The blast raked the fuselage with flying shrapnel. Everyone in the back of Spooky 71 was wounded, including Levitow who was hit by shrapnel that he was quoted as saying "felt like being hit by a two-by-four."

Despite his wounds, Levitow saw a loose, burning Mark 24 flare had been knocked free in the fuselage and was rolling amid ammunition cans that contained 19,000 rounds of live ammunition.

Through a haze of pain and shock, Levitow, with 40 shrapnel wounds in his legs, side and back, and fighting a 30-degree bank; crawled to the flare and threw himself upon it. Hugging it to his body, he dragged himself back to the rear of the aircraft and hurled it through the open cargo door saving the plane and aircraft. When the aircraft finally returned to the base, the extent of the damage became apparent. The AC-47 had more than 3,500 holes in the wings and fuselage, one measuring more than three feet long.

Levitow received the Medal of Honor from President Richard Nixon on, May 14, 1970, on Armed Forces Day. Levitow died of cancer on November 8, 2000. He is buried at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia. His grave can be found in section 66, site 7107, map grid DD/17.

Here's a great write up with rare photos:
http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/a...orrelleng.html

Regards,
Tony
xplaneguy is online now Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by xplaneguy; Mar 02, 2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 03:33 PM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy View Post
Appreciate the kind words! For any Air Force Enlisted Member, the story of A1C John Levitow (Medal of Honor) is well known. Building this AC-47 is a tribute to him and every Vietnam Veteran...
Thanks Tony, for the history behind your tribute to "Spooky 71." Kind of puts into perspective, all the accomplishments we think we've made in life. Godspeed to A1C Levitow.
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Mar 01, 2010, 04:23 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,842 Posts
I'd sure like to see a company produce a C-7 Caribou or C-119/AC-119. Any takers?

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by xplaneguy; Mar 01, 2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 09:58 PM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,422 Posts
thanks for the history, tony....a moving story, for sure. i have a buddy who was on the ground over there (up north near the dmz, he was a marine). he has told me plenty of storys about those gunships saving the day.

thanks to all for the paint info. i tested some model master on what i think is the same type of foam this plane is made out of (my old hz supercub). it worked great! so, it looks like i just might be able to paint this thing. not sure why i am so worried about it...i began with scale plastic kits many years ago and had an airbush, compressor, the whole works. it's been a while since i have done something like this, however. tony, i once built an old testor's ac-119! i think it was 1/72 scale. i love any plane with radial engines! ok, time to decide on this one. i am also eyeing another favorite, the b25 from hobby-lobby. that one is kind of pricey, so the "sky bus" might get the nod.

thanks.......rob
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Old Mar 01, 2010, 10:45 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,842 Posts
rob- yes....I also built the Testors/Italeri AC-119K some 20 years ago. A great kit!

Here's a video on the AC-47 that travels the airshow circuit. It's painted as A1C John L. Levitow's "Spooky 71." Also, a short Spooky Documentary.

SPOOKY! AC-47 gunship medal of honor tribute in HD (5 min 22 sec)

Douglas AC-47D Spooky aka "Puff, the Magic Dragon" (3 min 38 sec)

Regards,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by xplaneguy; Mar 02, 2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 10:56 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,842 Posts
For the Douglas DC-3 Fans

Here's a little inspiration.......a "COOL" DC-3 Video. Crank up the sound!

DC-3 low pass engine SOUND! (0 min 54 sec)

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by xplaneguy; Mar 04, 2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2010, 01:33 AM
Joined Mar 2010
5 Posts
thanks

Thanks for your vids it sold me so i bought one yesterday im new and kinda new to rc aircraft. So i wanted to know what type of 3 blade prop would you recommend i also would like to paint it silver and use the eastern airlines decals, can i use a rattle can or airbrush? Thanks Matt
djman is offline Find More Posts by djman
Old Mar 02, 2010, 02:12 AM
Joined Mar 2010
5 Posts
Eastern Airlines Douglas DC-3

I found some pictures of eastern airlines DC-3 here is the link http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/gary_dycke/dc-3/
djman is offline Find More Posts by djman
Old Mar 02, 2010, 02:37 AM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djman View Post
Thanks for your vids it sold me so i bought one yesterday im new and kinda new to rc aircraft. So i wanted to know what type of 3 blade prop would you recommend i also would like to paint it silver and use the eastern airlines decals, can i use a rattle can or airbrush? Thanks Matt
Cool! I ordered GWS 7x3.5 and 8x4 props. Scott Morgan will do some amp draw checks with these props. I personally use an airbrush. Check the other posts for feedback on spray can usage. Were you able to get the Eastern decals? All the internet sites posted on this thread are sold out. Good luck with your DC-3!

Regards,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2010, 12:01 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Here ya go Tony. Some pics from last summers airshow.
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
Old Mar 02, 2010, 12:10 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,842 Posts
Lithonion- Thanks for posting the pics!

All the best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2010, 01:39 PM
Joined Mar 2010
220 Posts
I'm doing the same project as well by painting it as the AC-47 Spooky. I was talking to another person who's been flying for a while and he asked if I have thought of setting up the motors to counter rotate and if I do decide to that it was just a switch of 2 wires and get counter rotating blades. Has anyone thought of doing this?
sh1bby69 is offline Find More Posts by sh1bby69
Old Mar 02, 2010, 02:24 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh1bby69 View Post
I'm doing the same project as well by painting it as the AC-47 Spooky. I was talking to another person who's been flying for a while and he asked if I have thought of setting up the motors to counter rotate and if I do decide to that it was just a switch of 2 wires and get counter rotating blades. Has anyone thought of doing this?
Not really. The model looks to fly fine as it is, plus both of the real aircraft engines rotate clockwise, so I'm sticking with that. Good luck with your Spooky. Post pics!

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2010, 05:12 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh1bby69 View Post
I am doing that on mine as well. I bought the reverse rotation props to go with the standard rotation props. Probebly will not make much of a difference, its just the cool factor. All you have to do is reverse two of the motor wires on the motor you want to reverse. BTW, I got my kit today and I must say that the quality is alot better than I was expecting.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub