New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:00 AM
Find More Posts by Windependence
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,837 Posts
Good morning FA2,

I am not concerned about the weight. I know it will fly and there is always wind where I fly, 5 - 10 mph is the norm so I should be OK. This sailplane will be flown for recreation and maybe someday, if the stars align just right, taken to Muncie for a NOS event.

I really do have a sailplane illness. I like building and restoring these wood sailplanes almost as much as I like flying them. If I could make a living building them I would quit my day job. But that will never happen , oh the realities of life.

I will get some good pictures of the finished Sailaire sometime next week and maybe get it out to the field on the 27th.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2015, 04:19 PM
fa2
Find More Posts by fa2
fa2
Joined Jan 2010
814 Posts
yes, i really like building too and i am retired so i can do it all day - hence the challenger

i know what you mean, its like you are "saving" them from the dumpster - you are like a surgeon performing lifesaving procedures

your sailaire is beautiful - if you look at the plan view of the sailaire, its very different than the challenger - i am anxious to see how different the challenger flies than my sailaire

my day job was aircraft design, so my retirement seems almost the same - except of course without all the office politics and fear of being laid off

what's your day job - just curious
fa2 is offline Find More Posts by fa2
Old Aug 28, 2015, 05:17 PM
Find More Posts by jswain
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,291 Posts
concerned about 12v winches and 5/16 wing rods

Has anyone been successfully using the 12v winch to 'tap' up their sailaire's using the factory 5/16 wing rods ?

I am considering going with 3/8 OD wing rods for a little bit more insurance considering the original design was for successful usage on 6v winches.

My launch style is already uses the pulsing/foot-tap method already as i don't like to abuse my 3ch RES gliders to gain just for a few more feet of altitude.

Maybe i need to reconsider the motor launch option more strongly for this model build if 5/16 wont cut it using it with a 12v winch launch

john s.
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Old Aug 28, 2015, 06:09 PM
Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
3,101 Posts
John,

Yeah, I do. 5/16 stock rods on a 12v winch. The wings will really talk to you on the way up, so I watch 'em closely. They flap like bird wings with each pulse, but I've never had any sign of failure. Things go a bit better with a little wind, which allows a good solid climb to peak height, while the line angle is still relatively shallow. Pulling straight down against those big wings is harsh punishment.
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:55 PM
Find More Posts by Ace45
United States, OR, Roseburg
Joined Jan 2006
19 Posts
Rods ok

John

My Sailaire is over 20 years old with 5/16 rods they act as shock absorbers. the spar has 3/4 wide not the stock 5/8 . Use 1/2 and 3/8 sheer web with carbon fiber aero shaft at the dihedral break.
The rods are boxed in and filled with 30 min epoxy and micro baloons to allow the epoxy to have some flex and not fracture.
My winch is 12 volt with 6 volt windings with winch line that stretches and helps absorb the winch shock I also pulse the pedal short and fast to keep the line tension constant, Do not let the wings flap .
Sailaire is one of the most enjoyable sailplanes to fly...
Take a look at the mods on my plane under ace45

Allan
Ace45 is offline Find More Posts by Ace45
Old Aug 29, 2015, 01:06 AM
Find More Posts by ChuckA
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,444 Posts
I built my Sailaire in 1977 from Williams kit No. 371. It is a second generation with the short straight tail and three 1/4 inch music wire wing rods. In 1994, I bought a well used short tailed Sailaire to fly in Nostalgia and it also had three 1/4 inch wing rods. I flew this Sailaire in both Nostalgia and Unlimited until 2005 when I was able to buy back my 1977 model and flew it until I stopped flying Nostalgia. All were stock without modifications and stood up to launching from everything from the 12 volt motor winches that used 6 volt to the 6 volt motor winches using 12 volt batteries as used in the Nats so I wouldn't worry about flying a Sailaire on a modern winch. Just tap the winch and keep a close eye on the dihedral during launch.

You want to tow as slow as possible anyway. The thick Sailaire wing makes zooming an exercise in futility since it stops quickly when you pull up in the zoom. I experimented with launches a lot in the late 90's when I was had to fly the Sailaire in the Nats because of vision problems. I used a capture tow hook to prevent pop offs and got almost as much altitude as all but the experts. My best Nats score while flying the Sailaire in Unlimited at the Nats was 17th and could have been higher if I could have got better landing in the wind. Never did that well when flying my full house unlimited models.

Chuck

PS The original 1976 long tail Sailaire with the swept fin used only two 1/4 inch music wire wing rods. I saw a two wire Sailaire bent the wires to about 45 degrees when the winch hung on. Still managed to land without further damage after he got off the tow iline.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:28 AM
Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Onward and upward.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,866 Posts
Whatever happened to Rudderman, the OP? Did he finish his Sailaire?
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:21 PM
Find More Posts by Rudderman98
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatuspc12 View Post
Whatever happened to Rudderman, the OP? Did he finish his Sailaire?
I'm still here.

Unfortunately my Sailaire is still in primer and the bones.

Life and other things got in the way. If I really put my heart into it I probably could finish her up in about 48 hours.

I'll post again when she's completed.

Thank you for asking!

Perry
Rman98
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Aug 30, 2015, 01:41 PM
Find More Posts by jswain
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,291 Posts
Thank you for hints and tips

Thank you Allan and Chuck and Don for the perspective on the durability of the wire wing joiners and launch techniques/warning sings when using 12v winches.

Building this model has been at the top of my bucket list since i returned to model flying in 2010 so i want to build it as wisely as i can. Since starting the LSF program this seems like a great model for my upcoming level 4 and 5 TD, distance, and slope tasks too - far easier to fly than using my contest-purposed gliders.

Reading the posts in this thread is pretty amazing in that these Sailaire's have endured so long and been a glider flyers favorite for a long time. My OlyII standard sailplane has been another model that seems to have been flown by most flyers at one point in their career so the Sailaire will be a great addition.

I will be sure to put in the deeper/wider vertical shear webs between the spars and probably use kevlar wrap to aid in keeping the spars/webs connected. Dihedral reinforcement stronger than the 1/16" wire seems wise. Servos vs thread for spoiler has me leaning towards servos, definitely full length spoilers per plan to forego the fear of sacrificing the model to the thermal gods.

Again thank you all and to Rudderman for letting us this thread for Sailaire hints and tips.

john s. in so. calif
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Last edited by jswain; Aug 30, 2015 at 01:59 PM.