HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by gtfreeflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 09:32 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,394 Posts
Discussion
Top-Flite .60 Corsair conversions:Glow to electric power & fixed to retractable gear.

Don't know why I'm starting another project without finishing the last one, but hey, that's what it's all about!

Flight log:
As of 9/14/09: 31 Takeoffs/Landings, 2hr 18.5min flying time.
As of 12/24/12: 68 Takeoffs/Landings, 6.1hr flying time.
gtfreeflyer is online now Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
Last edited by gtfreeflyer; Dec 24, 2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Update flight log
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2008, 09:50 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,394 Posts
The story...

I finished college at the end of 2004 and got my aerospace engineering degree. I took some of my graduation money I received as gifts and bought myself the Top Flite .60 Corsair kit, brand new radio, batteries, engine, etc. I had been flying RC planes since I was 13, and started crashing them all from age 18 to 22 because I was still using the original TX, RX and batteries that I got when I was 13! It was time for brand new everything, so the Corsair got the royal treatment.

I started building the kit in Atlanta during December 2004 and finished breaking in the engine on 4/19/05. It was ready to fly! However, I knew I wouldn't be flying it anytime soon. The very next day (no joke), I left for CA to look for jobs. I had a tough time finding a job in Atlanta after graduation.

3.5 years later, now with a job, I'm still in CA writing this blog. The Corsair finally arrived just last week. My dad shipped it out to me via GreyHound. He had put it in a huge box! Shipping was only $72 instead of the next best price of over $200. It took 2 weeks and arrived with a broken tail. Lol. I guess you get what you pay for. As I'm writing these words, the Gorilla glue is already curing and I've pulled out everything glow engine realted and listed it for sale... muh ha ha. The conversion has begun.

Pictures of the Corsair after it's trip across the USA via Greyhound are below (just in case they refuse my claim for the damage... hehe).
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:04 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,394 Posts
Current status:

All engine components removed. Firewall is blank with nothing mounted on it. Parts are currently on sale. Search in engine forum if interested or PM me.

Vertical fin has been reattached and glue is curing at the moment.

Fixed broken right aileron control horn.

Project status: Barely 1% complete.. haha. Long way to go!

If you have suggestions for the new power setup, let me know! I haven't decided on anything yet. I just know I want to sell all the glow stuff to help pay for it. I'm also selling the JR XP662 and RX so I can upgrade to 2.4 GHZ. I've been looking at the DX7.
Last edited by gtfreeflyer; Jan 04, 2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:37 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2005
258 Posts
Sweeeeeet!

Hey Jon! Whats the span and flying weight? I used and AXI 4130
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-axi4130.htm

The "trick" is now to search hobbycity.com for the equivilant TURNIGY out runner. I'm using them in a few models and they are fantastic at 1/3 the price of the AXI. BTW, their esc's are also killer and again, WAAAAY cheaper than the name brands - I like the Turnigy esc's, but have also used the "plain wrap" versions with no problems. Where else can you buy a 50A esc for under $15 (SuperSimple brand - that's the biggest one they make )

Regarding your servos, they'll work fine with 2.4 GHZ. At least it worked on a friend's sailplane that I helped convert to 2.4 last week - we just switched out the rx and were ready to go!

Good luck Jon!

Cheers, Raul
wylchyl is offline Find More Posts by wylchyl
Old Aug 29, 2008, 12:12 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,394 Posts
I put a pilot in the cockpit today. Woo hoo! More progress.

I think I'm 99% sure I'm going to get Futaba's new 7 ch 2.4 GHz system instead of the DX7 which I originally planned on. I did a lot of research today on power systems and am much closer to buying the stuff. Still no luck selling the other stuff yet. I'll probably put it up on eBay next weekend.

Raul, I was looking at the Turnigy stuff today. Looks great. The cheap price almost scares me, but it has excellent reviews.

I weighed the plane today too. Plane with all servos comes in at 6.8 pounds. I'm guessing 1 pound on the motor and 2 pounds of LiPos. Now I'm at 9.8 pounds, just shy of our field's 10 lb limit. I think this is pretty heavy for this plane, so I'll have to forget about retracts and stick with the wire gear. I'd like to get at least 100 Watts/lb, so I need a system that will do 1 KW. I don't like pushing the motor to it's limit, so I'll try to buy a motor rated higher than I'll use.

That's all for now.
Old Sep 03, 2008, 06:49 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,394 Posts
Order placed!

I finally placed the order for my power package. Here's what's coming in the mail:

Motor:
Turnigy SK50-65-380
Kv: 380rpm/v
Rated Power: 1820w

ESC:
TURNIGY Sentilon 100A HV 2-12S Speed Controller
Cont Current: 100A
Burst Current: 110A

Battery:
ZIPPY-H 5000mAh 3S1P 20-30C Lipoly Pack

I'll put two of these LiPo packs in series. I chose to do this so I can also use the 3s1p packs individually in my smaller planes.

I was about to take the Plush 80A ESC, but went with the HV 100A one instead so I can upgrade to an 8 cell setup in the future.
Old Sep 03, 2008, 06:53 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,394 Posts
By the way, the span is 62" with a wing area of 700 sq.in. Looks like I'll be flying around 30-35 oz/sq.ft. loading. A little on the heavy side, but at least I have flaps to slow me down.
Old Sep 04, 2008, 01:59 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,394 Posts
Just placed the order for a Futaba 7C 2.4 Ghz system. I'm broke again! Now accepting donations ...
Old Sep 06, 2008, 11:17 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,394 Posts
Unbelievable... my power system just arrived from Hobby City in Hong Kong. It took 3 days.
Old Sep 06, 2008, 11:20 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,394 Posts
Motor

Here's the motor and the accessories it comes with. I assembled it as shown in the 2nd picture and it weighs in at 17 oz.
Old Sep 06, 2008, 11:23 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,394 Posts
Esc

This thing is huge! I thought it would be much smaller. It has a pretty cool heat sink on the back of it that wasn't shown on Hobby City's website. It weighs in at 4.4 oz.
Old Sep 06, 2008, 11:27 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,394 Posts
Battery

Also, much bigger than I thought. I got two of these. Each one weighs in at 14.2 oz. Both packs were charged at 36% capacity and 3.82V per cell when they arrived. All cells perfectly in balance. Each pack came prewired as shown and included the female plug with open ended wires for attaching to your own charger/balancer.
Old Sep 09, 2008, 09:51 PM
swede
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined Aug 2005
3,834 Posts
Okay, I'm hooked. I was just given the Top Flight P-51 from a friend. He told me I could have it for free if I would just build it. It has been in the building process for a couple years, and I am now owner #3. It has a little but of damage, but it looks like they should be easy fixes. He also included Robart pneumatic air retracts for all three wheels.

I'm quite interested in your power setup. I think your plane will be the closest that I have found so far.

Good luck - and nice work so far.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15