HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:27 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,100 Posts
Help!
Gimbal problem, pitch vibrations

Hi

My gimbal was working nice first days (RCtimer controller with 4108 for pitch and 5106 for roll) but lately I have some vibrations/oscilations on pitch axis.

Checking all the videos the vibrations have been increasing daily, to the point last day video is useless. I checked with gimbal mount disconnected and then the video is perfect, no vibrations or oscilations at all, so the problem comes from the gimbal, not from the copter

I´ve checked all possible values and only if I lower Pitch P to around 5 they almost dissapear, but then stabilization is far from perfect....

A weird thing I´m not sure if may have some influence is my D parameter. I have it dialed really high (90-110 for pitch and 120 for roll). I was thinking since my gimbal has dual bearing on both axis it´s so smooth it does need higher D value to make some sort of drag or brake and stop from overshooting the target position, otherwise I can easily see oscilations on GUI chart (100 scale)

Maybe my controller is fautly?

Maybe my pitch motor is too weak? 4108 for 650g camera, but it worked perfect first days and never got hot, actually not even warm

Any help will be welcome
Andres
AndrésMtnez is offline Find More Posts by AndrésMtnez
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2014, 02:22 PM
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
960 Posts
It could be that it is not as stiff as when you first had it which requires some returning to restabilise. Is the battery fully charged - that can affect the stability?

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrésMtnez View Post
Hi

My gimbal was working nice first days (RCtimer controller with 4108 for pitch and 5106 for roll) but lately I have some vibrations/oscilations on pitch axis.

Checking all the videos the vibrations have been increasing daily, to the point last day video is useless. I checked with gimbal mount disconnected and then the video is perfect, no vibrations or oscilations at all, so the problem comes from the gimbal, not from the copter

I´ve checked all possible values and only if I lower Pitch P to around 5 they almost dissapear, but then stabilization is far from perfect....

A weird thing I´m not sure if may have some influence is my D parameter. I have it dialed really high (90-110 for pitch and 120 for roll). I was thinking since my gimbal has dual bearing on both axis it´s so smooth it does need higher D value to make some sort of drag or brake and stop from overshooting the target position, otherwise I can easily see oscilations on GUI chart (100 scale)

Maybe my controller is fautly?

Maybe my pitch motor is too weak? 4108 for 650g camera, but it worked perfect first days and never got hot, actually not even warm

Any help will be welcome
Andres
Peter Seddon is offline Find More Posts by Peter Seddon
Old Aug 18, 2014, 04:42 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,100 Posts
Good point Peter

But no, I´m afraid that´s not the problem. When I checked with the gimbal disconnected I used a bit of tape to fix the motors with the tape between the bell and lower part of the motor so any flexion would still be there. But that video is perfect, not stabilized obviously but no vibrations at all.

I also tested every possible parameter, lower and higer P, I, D and PWM....

Oh and I´m using a 9v regulator to avoid any variations with voltage changes

Thanks for the reply

Edit: Yesterday I saw neew procedure from itsqv.com wiki to check motors direction and according to that new procedure both my motors were reversed.... I´m charging batteries to see if that may be the problem
AndrésMtnez is offline Find More Posts by AndrésMtnez