HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jk6672, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:39 AM
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
1,308 Posts
Discussion
portable Air Conditioners

I don't know where to put this so feel free to move if necessary.

I'm tired of sweating soaking my shirts while working on my electric planes during the summer months in the garage. I have a three car garage and looking for a good size portable A/C to cool down my work area. I'm planning on filling my two side walls with blown in insulation and installing garage door insulation kits. I'd like a unit with minimum cooling capacity of 550sqft. Does anyone have a unit they recommend for my purpose? I like the idea of portable because, well, it's portable and can be used elsewhere if need be.
jk6672 is online now Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:53 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,944 Posts
I have a Hitachi unit mostly portable (has castors). about the size of a thinnish but taller portable dishwasher Has a big flexy tube exhaust that needs inserting thru a supplied window fitting.
Yess it works 'mostly' and likely could lower the temps passably in a double garage.
Garages are tricky these have lots of surface area and often little to No insulation. Basically Bake ovens imo
Bought mine Used for ~200 $, a few years back.
PITA to store though
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Aug 16, 2014, 12:45 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,927 Posts
I had a portable one in my garage last year. 8,000 btu's in 900 sq. ft. was enough to keep it cool. Well insulated with 6" in the walls and 12"+ in the attic. No idea what the door is rated at, but it is insulated. The hose Bare mentioned and the unit itself seemed to get in the way almost daily as I have no particular spot that doesn't get used.

Another problem here is the drain. With the high humidity here, the tank would fill in about an hour so it needed to be plumbed outside. The drain on the unit was less than 2" above the floor, so I had to elevate it get it to drain and now I have pvc pipe in the way too, and portability is diminished. Aggravating in fact. Noisy too, both fans are inside.

If possible, I would go with a window unit. Less than 1/2 the cost and more efficient.

I agree with the pita to store too. They take up 3 times the space of a similar window unit and are heavier. It took me about an hour to move the "portable" one and store it out of the way. Takes about 2 minutes for the window unit.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H