Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 03, 2013, 04:51 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,413 Posts
Discussion
What ELSE do you build ?

I think that those of us who tend to build our models are capable of other projects, as well.
I started out as a 10 year old, building Comet Struct-o-speed sheet models. Rubber powered, they usually looped ,or rolled into the ground..I didn't know anything about trim or balance, so a learning curve ensued.

I'm looking for your innovative ideas from your beginnings to the present..
Don't be 'shy' tell us what you did, and how it came about.

My entire life (I'm now 72) has been involved in do it yourself projects....Hotrods in the 50's, Boats,then Racing boats in the 60's and 70's, then an Ultralight in the 80's.
Throw in a house and later a garage, and you begin to see a pattern.

How many of you guys build more than models ?
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2013, 06:34 PM
United States, CT, Hartland
Joined Jul 2011
137 Posts
I built this from scratch last year ...
aymodeler is offline Find More Posts by aymodeler
Old Dec 03, 2013, 07:00 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,413 Posts
Very nice...top of the line..Well finished and detailed.
Model builders seem to have a knack for accomplishing all facets of building.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2013, 08:06 PM
Rob H
United States, MD, Rosedale
Joined Jul 2011
118 Posts
When not building planes, I follow my 3 and 5 year olds around and fix what they break.
rph1225 is offline Find More Posts by rph1225
Old Dec 03, 2013, 08:09 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
22 years as a tool & die maker, has given me a very strong knowledge in non-CNC machine tools. I have done cabinetry and some carpentry and like working with wood. No houses or other large buildings; but, have no doubt I can do it. Also have a good understanding of electrical circuitry and in particular low voltage.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Dec 03, 2013, 09:02 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
974 Posts
Took up archery training about six months ago, and four months later bought a Welsh Longbow, sort of like an ARF. Ready to go except unfinished. I applied the wood finish and liked the results enough to order some Douglas Fir arrow shafting, and have them where it's time to fletch (add the feathers) and crest. Been great fun and I used a few modeling techniques on them. I'll be adding Celtic Knotwork on the front of the bow for decoration--seems only natural. This is the result of watching "Brave" too many times

In the meantime, a friend gave me some aluminum arrows for shooting and I'm getting fairly good with them. It'll be neat watching my new wood arrows and see how straight I got them
Balsabird is offline Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Dec 03, 2013, 09:08 PM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,653 Posts
In addition to RC model aircraft, I have built a few boats (a Midwest Whitehall Tender, built for my wife, Joyce, is shown in the Scale Boats forum of RCGroups); have built a 32 foot long x 26 foot deep attached garage onto my first new home; am presently remodeling our homes entire interior with new insulation, wiring, drywall, paint, wood trim, etc.; and am also presently restoring a 1973 Starcraft 16 ft. Super Sport boat. That's enough to keep me busy for awhile LOL!

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Dec 04, 2013, 01:58 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,413 Posts
It's as I thought earlier....the builders aren't held back for a lack of "want-to", but are driven by the ability to be ABLE to.

I associated model building with mechanical, electrical, and finishing (paint) abilities.

I'm trying to find a reason why model building stays with us indefinitely..Someone said we're artists, and there's always new things to be created....and it's not only models-as shown by the large cross-section of projects already.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2013, 06:41 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I was also a Marine Surveyor (Boat Inspector) for 9 years after graduating from the Chapman School of Seamanship in Stuart Florida (this after 22 years as a tool & die maker). Marine Surveyors determine the condition and value of vessels and are used by buyers and sellers to make sure of the condition a vessel is in and its' value. Insurance companies may also require a survey when damage has occurred; or, when asked to underwrite coverage for a vessel.

Although being a surveyor was not building anything, a very deep knowledge of how vessels are built and how the systems aboard are used and determining their condition was a critical aspect of the job. Previous to becoming, during and continuing to this day, I have taken care of my own 27 foot sailboat, modifying the interior and installing systems aboard and helping other sailing friends with projects they have done and are doing to their own boats.

I am definitely a mechanical guy!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Dec 04, 2013, 06:55 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,653 Posts
I agree, Earl, that we are, in a sense, artists at heart. Back a number of years, when I found I was a candidate for acceptance into Auburn University's Architecture program, it was amazing the amount of art classes and art related coursework to be completed. As modelers we use the same artistic principles in most everything we do in life. We can "see" a finished project in our minds and we can take it upon ourselves to use the required tools and reference materials to see the project through. Good examples are the garage build and the boat restoration mentioned above; I had not tackled a similiar project prior to each. However, I had the confidence to enter into each project in large part due to experiences gained in successful modeling endeavors; in short, I'd gained very good "hands on" training over the years.
When I started the boat restoration, which required all parts to be removed from the aluminum boat hull prior to cleanup, I admit to feeling a bit daunted by what lay ahead of me. However, as in any modeling project or in building a garage onto an existing home, I had learned to see the task as many small steps leading up to a finished boat ready to set in the lake. So, I do see us as "artists" in that we use many of the same attributes in modeling and other interests; we envision a finished object, can design and construct framework, use the ideas of "color" in our finishing techniques and enjoy the efforts of our work much the same as a painter, woodcarver or any other craftsman. It goes without saying that many of these qualities we enjoy in everyday life, as a result of our long experience with hands on model construction, will be lost to the young of today who live in a world of instant gratification.

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Dec 04, 2013, 08:18 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,613 Posts
I don't consider myself on the 'artist' side. I dislike the finishing stage of building but get through it so I have something to fly.

My motorcycle is one of my other 'building' hobbies and it shows the same lack of beauty. It is a rat bike, piece parts from everywhere, brackets made from bent aluminum. Travel "bags" are surplus ammo cans and instrument case. A "if it works don't mess with it" kind of project. Must have done something right cause it has had 30k miles put on it in a bit over two years.

At work I fix more precise stuff. Missile seekers and laser systems. Actually, I fix them up in order to "kill" them

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Dec 04, 2013, 08:23 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,907 Posts
I make jellies. This year was the first harvest from my own grapes (4 vines, two Niagara and two Concord). We got over 100 pounds from a small 8 x 24' area in the corner of the back yard.

So this Christmas everybody is getting or has already gotten jelly - the guys I work with, my club members, my wife's family, my family, our older kids, etc.

I still have 4 gallons of juice in the freezer, including 2 gallons of apples (1 Empire, 1 Jonathan/Gold Delicious blend).

My wife won't even think about making jelly, but it's pretty quick and on a cold day, the warmth and smell are wonderful!

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 04, 2013, 08:32 AM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjoe View Post
I agree, Earl, that we are, in a sense, artists at heart. Back a number of years, when I found I was a candidate for acceptance into Auburn University's Architecture program...
That "number of years" did not happen to extend back to 1965 (the year I started) did it?

Tom
T_om is online now Find More Posts by T_om
Old Dec 04, 2013, 08:54 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,413 Posts
Mode One- I was a Marine carpenter on the wood Cruisers..Chris Craft, Greenwich, Penn Yann, and Cruise-along.

I repaired them from 1966 to 1975, when fiberglass took over.. I replaced transoms, stems, and damaged/rotted planking. Cabin roofs were covered with canvas, and painted to such a high gloss ! Much the same as fabric covering on a model's sheeted areas..
My biggest joy came from replacing the the curved rail ends on the Chris * Craft Constellation...These were the curved pieces that stepped down from the Fore deck to the Catwalks.
I was handed two chunks of Phillipine mahogany about 16" square X 20" long with the admonition to not XXXX it up != I didn't, and the owner teared up when he saw the finished repairs !
My love for wood working has given much satisfaction, for many,many, years.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Dec 04, 2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2013, 09:00 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,244 Posts
I've built more furniture and cabinets than model airplanes. I just have a love for woodworking. The fun part is the woodworking projects that fly!

At present most of my woodworking tools and all of my R/C stuff is packed-away because of an upcoming relocation. We're finishing-up a four month remodeling of our home, and I took on several tasks myself. Plumbing, light carpentry, removing kitchen and bath cabinets, painting. Not much of an artistic talent needed, but I'm very grateful to have picked-up the knowledge to perform these things over the years.

Another hobby I've packed-away for now is ballistics and reloading. More science than art.

EJ
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1