HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2013, 08:54 PM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2011
529 Posts
Build Log
Proto-type FOAM kit build/review

Good evening all, I,m Tim, the lucky selected ,volunteer for this test build/review.This is my first official public attempt at this and there's still alot I have to learn.IF ya'll can bear with me through ,I promise to do my best to make it worth your visits....1)The boat project is an older plan from designer Vic Smeed that is being converted into a pre cut kit,with foam board as the base building materials...2)the shipment of the package came undammaged within 5 days,(shipped USPO)on Friday, arrived Tuesdy after lunch..3) Upon opening,I inspected all contents carefully and only had 1 part slightly damaged,I think from precut by hand rather than shipment.My suggestions have been noted for future shipments.All parts either identified by name or # assigned per the NICE well written,instruction booklet, or full size as built plans included.Many one time only parts were included such as electoinics that maybe an option should intrest in this kit escalates.I will endever to incude them in build so more on them later..4) I welcome all advise/???'s/comments/or otherwise to give Ya a fair finnished product..THX in advance for your patience n support....Tim ..aka..H.X.
haxawsnavy is offline Find More Posts by haxawsnavy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by haxawsnavy; Oct 23, 2013 at 03:08 AM. Reason: changed aka /H.H. to H.X.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2013, 09:13 PM
Resistance is futile
United States, FL, Wildwood
Joined Jul 2005
1,055 Posts
Looking good Tim. Nice first post! Looks like you are getting the hang of it.
Looking forward to the build. Have fun with it.

circuitfxr is offline Find More Posts by circuitfxr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New build project forming
Old Oct 09, 2013, 11:01 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,275 Posts
I'm watching this build.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Oct 10, 2013, 06:40 AM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,236 Posts
Me too , I`ve got a stash of foamboard from aeromodelling (Mud Duck).
arrow5 is offline Find More Posts by arrow5
Old Oct 10, 2013, 06:59 AM
Near Fleetwood, lancashire, UK
Joined Jun 2009
1,271 Posts
me too...........something nice and different.
nhp651 is online now Find More Posts by nhp651
Old Oct 10, 2013, 07:14 AM
Joined Feb 2011
529 Posts
welcome come aboard all

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow5 View Post
Me too , I`ve got a stash of foamboard from aeromodelling (Mud Duck).
I don't know what mud duck is, but here we have different varities of foamboard,as I learned when I got kit.NOT the stuff I've been working with, so hang tight,I'm sure to give a comparitive thought o 2 (W/pic's 4 Kmot ) as well as my own test results of sealers/fillers/glue/paints/and weights(if I can find our postal scale,n make it work) on provided extra spare material of same as parts....stay tuned ..and thanks for your interest n post.....Tim
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: wild cat almost tamed
Old Oct 10, 2013, 07:16 AM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,236 Posts
I`m thinking a cruise ferry quicky, acres of weight if in wood. Just an idea, winter coming and all that.
Last edited by arrow5; Oct 10, 2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 07:47 AM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,236 Posts
Mud Duck , probably the ugliest model aeroplane ever ! It was made from foamboard, Nigel will know it. Now get on with the boat
Last edited by arrow5; Oct 10, 2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 08:56 AM
Crackin' Claws
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Oct 2012
1,034 Posts
STONECRAB is online now Find More Posts by STONECRAB
Old Oct 11, 2013, 05:41 PM
Resistance is futile
Joined Jul 2005
1,055 Posts
Weekend is here.....maybe we 'll see an update?

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:11 PM
Joined Feb 2011
529 Posts
update-KYPO..lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitfxr View Post
Weekend is here.....maybe we 'll see an update?

Hi all, I hadda review n select my best pic's for the 2nd of the series,n I don't type too good!!!.. stay tuned.......Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:47 PM
Joined Feb 2011
529 Posts
Remora starts

Good eve. all!, I still have some materials testing to complete, by Sundy should have those results n pic's. aswell as some actual assemble pic's!!These pic's are of my layout to begin the build only to have to note a "change" of Step one, as I will explain my reasons for doing so ...pic 4 is as per instructs : note shorted keel to stearn, I will be adding a "temporary" stuffing tube to correct this,(besides I can't drill straight) this will allow me some ajustment for the real one when I get it (too big) I can fill (too small) I have a good pilot hole.I will use scrap scabboards cut from extra material provided to hold longitudal strengh(box it)in.....Thx for Popcorning..HEE-he...Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:22 PM
Resistance is futile
Joined Jul 2005
1,055 Posts
Tim...."boxing in" the stuffing tube will add length to the keel. This will throw off the length measurements and possibly cause a problem. Whatever the diameter of your "make shift stuffing tube", will be the offset amount going to the stern. I am guessing, from your photos, that your tube is approximately I/8 inch.
Should you want to do it your new way, I recommend you cut one piece of the keel at the proposed joint area by the same amount of the tube diameter. Ensure you maintain the same angle as the original cut. this will allow you to do a "sandwich" effect without disturbing the dimensions of the build. If you have any questions about what I am proposing, let me know and I can make a drawing for you and send it via e-mail.

You will still need to add the doublers on each side to give strength.
Note... Installing the stuffing tube, before the frame is built, is highly unusual. It will be CRITICAL that you get the top / bottom edges of the keel to be inline and continuous without a top to bottom offset. Just a few thoughts to make you go.....hmmmmm
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by circuitfxr; Oct 11, 2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 01:17 AM
Resistance is futile
Joined Jul 2005
1,055 Posts
Upon reviewing your photos more closely I have noticed that the original plans seem to have intended this process as you describe. Please accept my apologies for jumping to conclusions. You are absolutely correct and you should continue the way you propose. Seems the parts align to the plan using your method. I thank you for your keen eye and great observation. I have no doubt this kit is in good hands.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2013, 04:57 AM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,236 Posts
Don`t forget to cover the plans with some form of protection when glueing, use cling-film or grease-proof paper to stop the glued parts sticking to the plan. Photos are a bit dull, try flash or brighter light when photographing . Clinical thinking and very descriptive.