HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:54 PM
I74
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Jan 2013
547 Posts
Discussion
Arttech SBACH 342 from Motionr/c

''This looks like a pretty good Sbach''..... Servos for elevator and rudder, '' are 17g'' . The elevator is tie-bard together also, - ''big plus'' -. I have been looking at Sbachs for over a year now, and after my bad experiences, with a certain on line company's, ''so called tech support,'' I don't see there offerings in the picture now... ''It's amazing how an un-caring company, can help sway ones decison in short order'',''and I have also bought 2 other planes from them, in the last 12 months''... Anyway,, , I down loaded the pdf manual from Arttech, and was happy to see,that the wings have plugs to hold them in,and not screws,''pretty slick setup''. there is also, no gluing, ''as far as I can tell ''.. The side force generators,are held in place with magnets, and a front alignment center pin .- ''All for $139.00, - '' Reciever ready''... Plus, -''free shipping'',- and all replacment parts -''IN STOCK'',, WITH ''SUPERB'' CUSTOMER SUPPORT!!!
I74 is offline Find More Posts by I74
Last edited by I74; Apr 16, 2013 at 09:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:58 PM
I74
Joined Jan 2013
547 Posts
Has anyone flown this,and the Dynam,and/or the Aerosky versions???
Old Mar 18, 2013, 04:36 PM
They call me Dan
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined Jan 2013
324 Posts
I couldn't get past the color of the art-tech. I went with the fms yak from motion. This thing is awesome! And the fms sbach is very nice too. Although they are $70 more than the art-tech.......
sc4dr is offline Find More Posts by sc4dr
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:02 PM
I74
Joined Jan 2013
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc4dr View Post
I couldn't get past the color of the art-tech. I went with the fms yak from motion. This thing is awesome! And the fms sbach is very nice too. Although they are $70 more than the art-tech.......
''Hello - sc4dr.'' .. I don't fancy the orange and black to much either, but I have been working on some color mods, to break it up some. ''Blue is my favorite color'',and I am going to paint over the black, with metallic midnight blue,and paint the gear white,''with blue accents on the wheel pants'' ,and the SFG'S, white also. I am thinking also about medium blue pinstripes, on the leading edges of the wing, and lower fuse sides, ''to match the original blue thats on it, ''and a long yellow ''point stripe''down the bottom length of the fuse...And finally, a couple of yellow and white stripes under each wing, ''closer to the tips''... I have printed off, - '' light,''- black and white pictures,and colored them in with this sceme,''it looks alot better,'' and I think it will be even ''easier'' to see........... I'll try to post some pictures when it is finished.''......
Last edited by I74; Mar 31, 2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:00 PM
They call me Dan
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined Jan 2013
324 Posts
Sounds nice! I'm interested in how it turns out. The guys at Motion will be great no matter what plane you go with.
sc4dr is offline Find More Posts by sc4dr
Old Mar 21, 2013, 08:16 PM
I74
Joined Jan 2013
547 Posts
Quote:
Sounds nice! I'm interested in how it turns out. The guys at Motion will be great no matter what plane you go with.
I talked to Tom over there about a month ago, for about 20min. during my lunch hour. I was estatic on how he came across about his products,and his company, ''these are some straight - up, good guys.'' He has flown the out of the Arttech Sbach,and didn't have a bad thing to say about it. He did tell me about the FMS planes that were coming in shortly though, and stressed that there is no better built foamy 50''+ Sbach out there than these... For transporting though, the Arttech is my choice because of how quickly it dissasembles,''no main wing screws''.. Until next time.....I74
Last edited by I74; Mar 22, 2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:30 PM
I74
Joined Jan 2013
547 Posts
Quote:
I orderd my plane today. I went with the recomended 2500-4s-30c Enrichpower packs, that Motion r/c handles... I also purchased an extra cowl,a spinner, 3 props, and 3 collets....''Those will keep me going for awhile''. I will make another post in a few days,and give you guys some insight,on my inspection of it.....
Last edited by I74; Mar 25, 2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 03:36 AM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
Maiden will be on Monday, weather permitting. I'll see if my guessed at throws are even close! Throws aren't mentioned in the manual, which is odd, but I usually just guess at them anyway! So far so good! Part of what makes maidens exciting!

Overall, a decent value. Expect the build to take longer than a quick read of the manual would suggest. Since mostly intermediate modelers will buy this plane, the numerous but minor issues I encountered will be no big deal. You will do some foam surgery!

Tom at Motion RC emailed me about the factory weights buried in the nose. I left them in for now, others will want to remove them. I'm going for a sport setup so some extra weight, sometimes even dead weight, is what I prefer, especially for an all weather go to plane.

Intend to change the power system, but I'll go stock to start with. I like the glossy, bright orange. Hope it shows up well on both sunny and gray sky days. If it does, it will be the first plane that did.

Link below is to the ArtTech website, where you can download the manual. My eyes can't deal with the small fonts used in the paper manual.

http://www.art-tech.cn/english/index.asp

Come on Monday! Nope, looks like Tue, too windy for maiden on Monday.
chudson is offline Find More Posts by chudson
Last edited by chudson; Mar 31, 2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:04 PM
I74
Joined Jan 2013
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chudson View Post
Maiden will be on Monday, weather permitting. I'll see if my guessed at throws are even close! Throws aren't mentioned in the manual, which is odd, but I usually just guess at them anyway! So far so good! Part of what makes maidens exciting!

Overall, a decent value. Expect the build to take longer than a quick read of the manual would suggest. Since mostly intermediate modelers will buy this plane, the numerous but minor issues I encountered will be no big deal. You will do some foam surgery!

Tom at Motion RC emailed me about the factory weights buried in the nose. I left them in for now, others will want to remove them. I'm going for a sport setup so some extra weight, sometimes even dead weight, is what I prefer, especially for an all weather go to plane.

Intend to change the power system, but I'll go stock to start with. I like the glossy, bright orange. Hope it shows up well on both sunny and gray sky days. If it does, it will be the first plane that did.

Link below is to the ArtTech website, where you can download the manual. My eyes can't deal with the small fonts used in the paper manual.

http://www.art-tech.cn/english/index.asp

Come on Monday! Nope, looks like Tue, too windy for maiden on Monday.
Chudson, ''welcome to the thread'', and good luck on your maiden... I finished mine on sat, and have some bits of info that you guys might like... I glued 1.2mm carbon rods to the trailing edges of the elevator and aileron control surfaces.''The trailing edges had slight waves,and are pretty thin on the elevator..I was able to peel the canopy off the cockpit, and remove the pilot.The pilot weighs 30g. I then used loctite ''stick'n seal'' acrylic adhesive, to glue it back on..Next, I figured out where to put the ESC.There is a shelf on each side of the batt. compartment, that this will fit, ''I went with the right side one''.The instructions don't have any details on this,and it was just hanging loose in the center batt.tray. There are 2 divits, on both sides of the fire wall bulkhead,I noticed that there was no airflow inlet openings for the esc, so I drilled 3, 1/8in holes into the right side divit, to line up with it,''then slotted it out'', and one exaust 3/8 air hole at the bottom center of the fuse, ''below and back, of the rear servo tray''. ''I think this should help to keep things cooler.'' The gear and SFG's, were painted gloss white, and I pinstripped along the white stripes that are on it, with 1/4in medium blue, automotive pinstripe..''It does look alot better''!!! Balancing with the 264g, 2500 - 4s pack, put the plane nose heavy, at 103mm, so I removed the right side nose weight that weighs 25g,and the plane balanced perfect...total flying weight on mine is 54.5oz's...2.3 oz's under spec... ''I think this plane is going to fly awsome''.... P/S, The spec CG is 98-108mm, and I set my initial throws to 60%, for elev. and ailerons, and 75% for the rudder, with the rods connected at the outer holes on the horns, and at the center holes on the servo arms, for elev.and rudder. The aileron servo arms have 6 holes, and the factory setup has them at the 3rd hole from the top.''I am going to leave them there''.....
Last edited by I74; Apr 23, 2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:41 PM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
I may maiden Monday around 11AM as it will be 58 degrees, sunny, and the wind will be around 5 mph, NW, with runway being N-S. Normally fly in the afternoon, but 13 mph predicted winds means 5 to 25 mph. Field is on a hilltop and the winds come and go on a 10-15 minute cycle that is really weird.

There is plenty of room for a larger lipo, larger than the 2700 I have. A 3300 would fit with little effort. I cut holes for cooling as well, as there were none at all. My ESC I put in the left space of the lipo cavity. With lipo all the way forward and with the factory weights left in, I had to put 3 of those small stick on lead weights on the tail to get her level at 100mm. When I put a larger motor on, I'll take the factory weights out and maybe she'll stay balanced!

Took the foam fairing and wheel pants off the landing gear since one hard landing and it would probably break off anyway. Put low bounce wheels on her since this one piece wire main gear will spring you back into the air on a somewhat hard landing. This bouncing will be worse with my plane being heavy, just like my Eflite Carbon Z Yak 54. If I get too much bouncing, I'll install a metal main gear as I did to my Yak.

Be sure to check your motor and motor board screws as mine were very loose. Since they go into wood, some wood glue or epoxy would help keep them tight. Also, the foam hinges are a bit weak, so keep an eye on them. The stock ESC does not want to sense low rpm very well and jerks some during the first ten percent of the throttle range. New motor will get new ESC, maybe sooner than later!!
Old Apr 02, 2013, 08:29 PM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
Got six flights in blue skies today. This plane is easy to see, no orientation issues. Wind was 0-25 mph and from the SW, W, NW and N with a N/S runway. Field is on top of a hill, so 0-7 mph winds for 6-12 min are interrupted with 8 to 25 mph winds that last 1 to 2 min. Not a good day to maiden, but had the field to myself and I just had to!

I noticed prop/spinner balance was worse than when at home, so I removed spinner, which helped. Maiden was short as plane was very tail heavy. Landing was mild crash that only bent back the main gear and scuffed up a wingtip and the cowling.

At home, she was level at 100mm. Now she was very tail heavy at 100mm.
All I did was take off the spinner. I am still puzzled by this since the spinner doesn't weigh much and it's close to COG!! Took off the dead weight I put on the tail and she was again level at 100mm.

Flights two through five got better and better due to several changes to linkages, expo, and rates. Ground handling was good when the wind was not too high. Timer was set for 4 min and 2700/3000 lipos had 15.1 to 15.4 volts post flight, mostly 50-80% throttle. Main gear does not bounce, but it did bend when I pancaked the last foot several times.
Bends back easily, just wonder how many times one can do this.

Tried APC 11x7x2 prop to get more speed for less thrust. Got the reduced thrust, but no extra speed. Stock prop has plenty of thrust and much more speed than I had expected, so I'm in no hurry to modify the stock setup. Magnets holding cowling on are apparently not strong enough as my cowling got into the prop halfway into second flight.

Stock prop adaptor is soft and easily damaged. Probably 6mm and what luck, I have plenty of 5mm adaptors! Stock prop is $3.49, so about the same as an APC, and it sure seems to work well with the stock mot/esc.

Last flight was a blast. No 3D since I don't know how, but she is a fun sport plane with the stock setup. The wind and my limited skills prevented an accurate evaluation, but she was fast, responsive, predictable, and had no bad habits that I could see. Landing into gusting 10-25 mph winds was rather easy with tip stalling easily controlled, and me usually pancaking the last foot.

Will fly tomorrow on a good weather day, can't wait!
Old Apr 03, 2013, 10:21 PM
I74
Joined Jan 2013
547 Posts
Quote:
Got six flights in blue skies today. This plane is easy to see, no orientation issues. Wind was 0-25 mph and from the SW, W, NW and N with a N/S runway. Field is on top of a hill, so 0-7 mph winds for 6-12 min are interrupted with 8 to 25 mph winds that last 1 to 2 min. Not a good day to maiden, but had the field to myself and I just had to!

I noticed prop/spinner balance was worse than when at home, so I removed spinner, which helped. Maiden was short as plane was very tail heavy. Landing was mild crash that only bent back the main gear and scuffed up a wingtip and the cowling.

At home, she was level at 100mm. Now she was very tail heavy at 100mm.
All I did was take off the spinner. I am still puzzled by this since the spinner doesn't weigh much and it's close to COG!! Took off the dead weight I put on the tail and she was again level at 100mm.

Flights two through five got better and better due to several changes to linkages, expo, and rates. Ground handling was good when the wind was not too high. Timer was set for 4 min and 2700/3000 lipos had 15.1 to 15.4 volts post flight, mostly 50-80% throttle. Main gear does not bounce, but it did bend when I pancaked the last foot several times.
Bends back easily, just wonder how many times one can do this.

Tried APC 11x7x2 prop to get more speed for less thrust. Got the reduced thrust, but no extra speed. Stock prop has plenty of thrust and much more speed than I had expected, so I'm in no hurry to modify the stock setup. Magnets holding cowling on are apparently not strong enough as my cowling got into the prop halfway into second flight.

Stock prop adaptor is soft and easily damaged. Probably 6mm and what luck, I have plenty of 5mm adaptors! Stock prop is $3.49, so about the same as an APC, and it sure seems to work well with the stock mot/esc.

Last flight was a blast. No 3D since I don't know how, but she is a fun sport plane with the stock setup. The wind and my limited skills prevented an accurate evaluation, but she was fast, responsive, predictable, and had no bad habits that I could see. Landing into gusting 10-25 mph winds was rather easy with tip stalling easily controlled, and me usually pancaking the last foot.

Will fly tomorrow on a good weather day, can't wait!
Chudson, I'am glad you got your plane is flying better....''How do you like it compaired to your carbon z," "for the price"?? I have some questions for you....Are the stick on weights that you put at the tail, 1/4oz each? and when you set your cg, did you measure back, ''at the [sides] of the fuse''?? Also, do you know what the flying weight is??? I'am going to try to fly mine this weekend, ''weather permitting''.....
Last edited by I74; Apr 05, 2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2013, 12:44 AM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
Flew Sbach five more flights today in 0-8 mph winds, using the stock setup (prop to). A lot of fun to fly, but I'm still pancaking the last foot when landing.

Eflite Carbon Z Yak at 300 bucks PNP (380 w/ship), and this ArtTech Sbach at 140 shipped, well, Sbach works better for me since I'm doing the sport plane setup and not needing major control surface movement or speed. Also, lower quality hinges, motor, ESC and probably servos can all be fixed by me for 80-160 bucks, and using what I want to use.

I prefer 140-220-300 for the Sbach, versus 380 for the Yak, due to having the option of spending less to try the plane and improving it if I want to. I'm not a good enough pilot to compare them. Yak was two years ago, and got spun into the deck early in its life. More epoxy than foam when I finished with it.

Pretty sure the stick on weights weigh 7 grams. Still don't know what happened with COG!

Manual says, 98-108mm, measured from the leading edge where the wing root meets the fuselage. Mounted the heavy ESC where 30% of it extends forward of where the cowling starts. Will try some APC props next time out, 12x(6,8)x2, and a 10.5x8x4 that might work well.
Old Apr 08, 2013, 08:52 PM
I74
Joined Jan 2013
547 Posts
Quote:
Flew Sbach five more flights today in 0-8 mph winds, using the stock setup (prop to). A lot of fun to fly, but I'm still pancaking the last foot when landing.

Eflite Carbon Z Yak at 300 bucks PNP (380 w/ship), and this ArtTech Sbach at 140 shipped, well, Sbach works better for me since I'm doing the sport plane setup and not needing major control surface movement or speed. Also, lower quality hinges, motor, ESC and probably servos can all be fixed by me for 80-160 bucks, and using what I want to use.

I prefer 140-220-300 for the Sbach, versus 380 for the Yak, due to having the option of spending less to try the plane and improving it if I want to. I'm not a good enough pilot to compare them. Yak was two years ago, and got spun into the deck early in its life. More epoxy than foam when I finished with it.

Pretty sure the stick on weights weigh 7 grams. Still don't know what happened with COG!

Manual says, 98-108mm, measured from the leading edge where the wing root meets the fuselage. Mounted the heavy ESC where 30% of it extends forward of where the cowling starts. Will try some APC props next time out, 12x(6,8)x2, and a 10.5x8x4 that might work well.
I flew the plane for the first time yesterday,and it was very tail heavy...I put the 25g. weight back in the bulkhead,and bent the gear wires forward and inward, to get them 90 degrees with the fuse,and to get more prop clearance,'' the gear is swept back by design''.. I didnt get a chance to fly it again yesterday, because of the wind. With the weight back in,- it balances at 96mm. I was able to fly it today, and it was ''dead-on the money''...... Inverted stability was superb,and it even had a good glide characteristic,,right side up,,-''and inverted''!!! The winds are supposed to pick up through the course of this week, I hope to get in some more quality flying, next weekend....
Last edited by I74; Apr 09, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 05:53 PM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
Crashed my Sbach Tue while flying low in high winds and doing stuff I should have been doing a few mistakes higher up. Too many pieces to repair. Flew my JUG and Critical Mass today, experimenting with various props.

Doubt I'll get another Sbach and will probably focus on 1100mm planes, as I have some experimenting to do with motors and props. Should know within a month or so which setup I most prefer with the PZ JUG.

Good luck to those who have or will get the Sbach. It's a good plane for the money. Main issue I had was with the main gear bending back on hard landings. However, if you don't fly in 25 mph winds like me, it probably won't be an issue.