HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:10 PM
Joined Feb 2013
7 Posts
Discussion
Associated B4

Hi I am new to this site and the world of RC so I apologise if my terminology is wrong or if my question seems daft.
I have just bought a second hand B4, which I know is an old model, it has a 6.5 turn brushless motor and a speed passion ESC, I run it with tamiya style plugs and a 7.2v battery.
My issue is when I used it yesterday the car seemed very slow for a brushless motor, then with no alteration to anything the car went like a stabbed rat, then back to been rather slow, this went on until it went fast again and I crashed it and broke the front suspension.
Any ideas what may cause this fast slow behaviour. There is 2 resistors soldered onto the ESC and when I bought the car it had different connectors from the tamiya ones, guessing it used Lipos , could the resistors be my issue?.
Geoff35 is offline Find More Posts by Geoff35
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:49 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,370 Posts
Were the connectors hot ? Tamiya's connectors have a high resistance and always have. I use Deans connectors with great results. I wonder if your ESC went into a thermal shut down mode. Check to make sure nothing is binding. The B4 is a very good car I had a few of the B series I will always have a soft spot for them. I wonder if you have a solder joint loos check all the connections look for that.
mredzadventure is online now Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:04 AM
Joined Feb 2013
7 Posts
Nothing felt hot, In fact it was slow from start , had heard the tamiya connectors are not the best will get them changed, did wonder if it was possibly down to the joints where I have added the tamiya plugs.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:27 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,420 Posts
A 6.5 turn brushless with Tamiya connectors seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Use a better type plug, like Deans, HXT 3.5, EC-3 or what suits you best.

Can you post a picture of the 2 resistors on the ESC? I wonder what their purpose is. Or are these perhaps capacitators instead?
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:42 AM
Joined Feb 2013
7 Posts
There should be a pic attached, seems one thing i need to do is change connectors, but of a pain as my chargers are tamiya style which is why I put them on the car in the first place
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:26 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,420 Posts
Those are not resistors, but as I anticipated, capacitators. Never removed these, and if you ever need to replace them, pick identical ones. These are special type capacitators, put in the wrong ones and they will blow, possibly taking the ESC with them...

You could use a charge adapter, to put on the charge lead. Tamiya on one end, and on the other the connector you are going for. For charging Tamiya connectors are just fine, as the currents stay low. But in a high performance car, they are a no-no.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:42 AM
Joined Feb 2013
7 Posts
Ok sounds obvious really, just is totally different to the set up on my sons car. So has anyone used the deans connectors from eBay are they any good? Could buy 10 pairs for less than a fiver.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:03 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,420 Posts
Some cheap Deans are perfect, matching or even surpassing the original ones. And some are utter crap. I know the ones HK is selling are ok, and are also cheap. If you can find these in a local warehouse, they should be there just as fast as ordering from eBay.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:42 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,818 Posts
Does the ESC have a LVC set? If so, that's probably why it's slow at times.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:55 PM
Joined Feb 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Does the ESC have a LVC set? If so, that's probably why it's slow at times.
It is a programmable ESC I know this because there is a card, what is LVC?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:01 PM
Joined Feb 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Some cheap Deans are perfect, matching or even surpassing the original ones. And some are utter crap. I know the ones HK is selling are ok, and are also cheap. If you can find these in a local warehouse, they should be there just as fast as ordering from eBay.
Will have a look about, only wanted to use eBy as I got PayPal funds I could use.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:36 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,818 Posts
LVC = low voltage cutoff. If you're running nimh/nicad packs with the 2s lipo LVC enabled it'll cut it all the time, even if the pack is fully charged.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:41 PM
Joined Feb 2013
7 Posts
Thanks I will check that as I have a feeling the previous owner used Lipos as he was a keen racer apparently.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:42 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,420 Posts
Smart thinking, WP, if the previous owner ran it on lipos, it's still probably set for protecting the battery against over discharging, and indeed this will cause problems when running NiMh instead of lipo.
RCG Plus Member