Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
Discussion
Reusing the transmitter

I am a beginner, and would like to start with a simple model of an aircraft and heli, see what I like, then proceed to an aircraft (or a heli) with a camera, etc. Usually, aircrafts and helis are being sold with their own transmitters. Does it make sense (and if yes - is there a way) to use the same transmitter with all the models ?
igorek is offline Find More Posts by igorek
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Aug 2011
59 Posts
if you get a programmable transmitter such as the DX6i, or higher (DX7,8,9) then you can store up to a number of models in them and just pick which one you want to fly.. also, if you choose to use a cheaper tx, you can make the rx easy to reach in the plane/heli, and just bind (synchronize) the tx to the rx.
using 1 Tx for multiple models is a great way to save money also!!
StingRayRC is offline Find More Posts by StingRayRC
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
Thanks. What does it mean "bind (synchronize) the tx to the rx" ?

Also, it looked to me that most of the models are sold with their own transmitters. Will I always be able to unbundle them, to avoid paying for the transmitter ?
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:31 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
RTF kits include transmitters with them that are typically cheap and not very useful with more than one plane. They'll get you started for less money but eventually as you progress in the hobby you'll likely want something more. You could buy a more sophisticated radio with programming and multiple model memory that would last you a while along with a trainer plane/heli to go with it. Remember though with 2.4ghz receivers, they typically only work with transmitters of the same brand (with a few exceptions).

If you want a nicer transmitter up front I'd suggest something like a Spektrum DX6i or DX7s. The DX7s might be a little more useful if you're looking to get into heli's but I'm not an expert with them (the heli's beginner section is further down the front page). Spektrum radios will work with any of the horizon hobby brands (Hobbyzone, Parkzone, E-Flite, Blade, etc.) bind-n-fly products (BNF). Bind-n-fly means it comes with everything you need to fly it except the transmitter. Horizon brands are nice for beginners because they often have spare parts available at your LHS and good support. Some good starter planes I'd recommend are the Hobbyzone Champ or the Hobbyzone Super Cub. The super cub is offered in BNF and RTF (if getting the RTF version make sure it's the 2.4ghz version, not the older 27Mhz one). The champ is only offered in RTF but it's cheap and will work with spektrum transmitters. The champ is cheaper, less prone to damage because of how lightweight it is and can be flown in a smaller space but it doesn't handle wind as well as the super cub (anything over 8mph is usually trouble) but you shouldn't be flying in much wind as a beginner anyway. Also if you don't get a nicer transmitter along with the champ and just use the stock one be sure not to fly it much farther than 400ft since it's low power (not usually a problem since the plane is so small. The super cub while more expensive has lots of nice modding options, including flattening/reinforcing the wing, adding ailerons to it to learn 4-channels. Blade makes some nice beginner heli's for you to get started on that will work with Spektrum transmitters. Be sure to read the six keys to success for new pilots before flying, it covers the most common mistakes made by beginners. You may also want to look into buying a simulator and seeking out a local club or experienced flyer to help you with learning to fly.

If you don't want to use Spektrum there are other brands out there but they won't work with horizon brand BNF products so you'll have to install your own receiver in them (not that hard).

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Last edited by Rayne; Jul 04, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:36 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorek View Post
Thanks. What does it mean "bind (synchronize) the tx to the rx" ?

Also, it looked to me that most of the models are sold with their own transmitters. Will I always be able to unbundle them, to avoid paying for the transmitter ?
Bind is a term used with 2.4ghz systems. It means to link the receiver to the transmitter so that it won't respond to any other transmitter. Back in the earlier days of 72Mhz and such they used to work on certain channels (frequencies) and anybody with a transmitter set for that channel could potentially interfere with the control of your plane/heli. Now with 2.4 you no longer have to worry about that.

You could ask at your LHS if they can do that for you but in some cases the transmitter is really only good with that particular plane, other than that if it's an RTF kit you're pretty much getting that along with it.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:31 AM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
I was looking at trainer high wing planes to begin with, and it seemed to me that RTFs are actually cheaper than BTFs So may be sharing the transmitter does not make financial sense ?
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:26 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,859 Posts
If you are going to get into the hobby and want good equipment, sharing the transmitter is more than just good economic policy, you get familiar with all the control motions and locations so moving from one plane to the next is much easier. Add to that that for a decent transmitter you are going to spend $150 and up to whatever limit you want to set, so having one of these for each plane would be very expensive.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:04 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorek View Post
I was looking at trainer high wing planes to begin with, and it seemed to me that RTFs are actually cheaper than BTFs So may be sharing the transmitter does not make financial sense ?
Having a decent transmitter also isn't just about the convenience of using it with more than one model. There are many many features you'll never find in most RTF transmitters that may be essential for more advanced planes/heli's (also the more advanced models aren't offered in RTF versions). There are also features that can help make flying easier such as adjustable rates and expo. You may not need these features right now since you're only flying trainers which are very easy to fly but they will likely become necessary as you get further into the hobby. Also it makes financial sense to buy the decent transmitter early on rather then spend extra money on a few RTF kits until you need the better transmitter. Then you'll be stuck spending the money anyway and on top of that you'll have wasted money on transmitters that are no longer of much use. If you don't want to spend the money right now that's up to you.
Last edited by Rayne; Jul 05, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:18 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,207 Posts
Yes, RTF are cheaper > therefore ALL the electronics.....ALL of them are cheap.
In general you will not use the vast majority of ANY of the electronics going forward, maybe the battery and servos...maybe.

The last thing you likely will want to use is the TX and RX. Seems kind of wasteful but I guarantee you there are thousands of RC folks out there with tens of thousands of useless, unused, low end TX sitting somewhere. I have 4 myself I can think of. Don't go down that path if you can help it.

This is a bit dated but the concept is absolutely still true. Don't buy a standard radio!

Your TX and battery charger are the foundation of your entire electric fleet. Planes and the rest of the stuff come and go-don't skimp on the basics.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver