HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:08 PM
Joined Jan 2010
373 Posts
Discussion
Tips for landing in FPV

OK, last weekend I had the perfect flight with all my new gadgets... over 2km away and just about into the clouds... amazing experience.

Now, winter is coming and I'm not too keen on flying out in zero degrees so I'm planning on flying from inside my car.

Problem is I'll need to land FPV. I've done it a couple of times in the past but always landed way too fast. When I'm landing non-FPV my twinstar practically hovers before it touches down - zero damage every time.

So, any tips out there for how to land through the goggles? I find it difficult to figure out altitude (and GPS isn't accurate enough) and its difficult considering windspeed and ground speed to figure out the best landing...

Any tips?
Thanks!
Protocrash is offline Find More Posts by Protocrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:11 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,568 Posts
Line up your approach and watch for the "spot that doesn't move" in your view.

That is where you will touch down.
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:21 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
i find "feeling out" the stick helps alot. think about how sluggish your controls are getting. you'll get a feel for how close to stall speed you are.

that, and don't be afriad to take your time slowing down. walking an extra 50 feet is better than a crashed plane
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:23 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2007
1,356 Posts
Depending on the airframe, I like to do a circle at half throttle then line up the approach. after killing of the airspeed at half throttle as I get closer, start closing the throttle until about 15 feet above then kill power and flare at about <5 feet. Of course, this is for my .40 balsa highwing plane. and in perfect wind conditions.
WBFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WBFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:24 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2007
1,356 Posts
Quote:
i find "feeling out" the stick helps alot. think about how sluggish your controls are getting. you'll get a feel for how close to stall speed you are.
that is a good pint as well. You can really "feel" the loss of controls prior to stalling.
WBFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WBFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:30 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Practice landing throttle off flying LOS. See how the plane glides completely hands off. Ideally you should be able to land with very little input until the flare. With my SW on my turn to final I cut the power completely and let go of the stick. Based on how the plane looks like its sinking, I will add a little power to just stretch out the glideslope. Elevator is only for those quick adjustments and the final flare. This is made much much easier, more consistent with a stabilizer.

Of course if there's wind you'll need power, but as little as possible is best.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:41 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,379 Posts
Here's my take on FPV landing, from an old thread on the topic.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post14259220
The post following that shows a video of a whole bunch of landings, with
references to downwind/base/final legs of the landing.
In that video, try to watch for "the point that doesn't move".
Generally the landing will be there, or a little past if you factor in
a flare at the end.

If you do it correctly, the only time the plane should even be close to stalling
is after you've flared and are floating it in ground effect.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:44 PM
Joined Jun 2010
510 Posts
This is a funny subject, I had my 1st fpv flight this weekend, I don't even have any gear yet (a buddies phone rang as soon as he had it up so he handed me the dragonlink). I flew around and got use to it, went out in every direction I was so comfortable, and then bam! ran out of juice so I just landed in fpv...PERFECTLY!!! it was a very short walk, I was so proud. 1st flight and 1st perfect fpv landing in one flight...I need to get this gear, I am so hooked...it's so much fun...
squishy654 is offline Find More Posts by squishy654
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:00 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy654 View Post
This is a funny subject, I had my 1st fpv flight this weekend, I don't even have any gear yet (a buddies phone rang as soon as he had it up so he handed me the dragonlink). I flew around and got use to it, went out in every direction I was so comfortable, and then bam! ran out of juice so I just landed in fpv...PERFECTLY!!! it was a very short walk, I was so proud. 1st flight and 1st perfect fpv landing in one flight...I need to get this gear, I am so hooked...it's so much fun...
Lack of power is probably why it was so easy. When you have no power, your descent
rate will stabilize and then if you pay attention to the way things look in
your view, it becomes pretty obvious where you're going to intersect the ground.
A little maneuvering and you can put it right where you want.
Powered landings get folks in trouble, because they don't account for
the added time it takes to pick up or lose airspeed and resulting sluggish
change in descent rate. Lead to things like trying to hold the nose up
with inadequate power, while descending, or just coming in too hot
and running long.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:00 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy654 View Post
sounds like you're friend is either a pretty cool guy, or a pretty dumb one, lol.

FPV is awesome, welcome to the family
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:01 PM
$#|+
United States, CA, Orange
Joined May 2007
1,605 Posts
Record your LOS landings and compare speeds

Moe
mkmkmk13 is offline Find More Posts by mkmkmk13
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:15 PM
Joined Jan 2010
373 Posts
Thanks guys - great tips! I think I'll dare it next time!
Protocrash is offline Find More Posts by Protocrash
Old Oct 31, 2011, 06:16 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,371 Posts
At a new spot I like to do a "mock" pass to judge the wind and visualize my landing spot. Crosswind landing can be tricky if you're not feeling the wind physically yourself and a mock pass will show you how much rudder you need to apply to hold the line down the strip. The beauty of FPV is that you'll notice that drift on approach where I feel it's harder LOS to do the same in a crosswind.
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Oct 31, 2011, 06:27 PM
Australia, WA, Carlisle North
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Hey mate, practice makes perfect. Soon you'l be better at landing under the goggles then 3rd person view.

Regards

Doug
spitfire_Doug is offline Find More Posts by spitfire_Doug
Old Nov 01, 2011, 12:54 AM
Joined Jun 2010
510 Posts
it was caught on camera...my 1st fpv flight and deadstick via fpv all in one...

[SAP] Smooth Landing (0 min 21 sec)
squishy654 is offline Find More Posts by squishy654