HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:35 PM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
Oorah! I feel the same about my ultra-micro planes. I have alot of big birds hanging on the wall here and the go to planes are my micros. Low stress, good fun, cheap to fix or replace. Tough to argue with that.

Same with these little cars as well. I've got about 70 bucks into the car over the purchase price, closer to 100 when my new HK surface radio shows but, it's making me happy, even when I break stuff.
ho50ca is offline Find More Posts by ho50ca
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2011, 05:04 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,628 Posts
Regarding the micros - I feel similarly. To me, they're dirt-cheap! I used to go through 4+ gallons of glow-fuel during a typical weekend of flying my large-scale planes. I can now buy an entire car/plane/heli for less than I spend on a couple days'-worth of fuel for my larger RC vehicles. I have LiPo packs that cost twice as much as this truck - even after the cost of a 2.4 GHz b/l conversion. Heck - a decent mg, bb digital servo for a 40-size plane costs as much as this truck! About 20 years ago, when I was racing 1/10th-scale off-road - I had more into a couple of hot-winds & a matched NiCD pack or two than what this truck costs!

RC has never been more affordable than it is now. I remember when a 4-ch proportional 27 MHz AM tx cost more than 500 bucks (no rates, no ATV, no expo, no servo reversing, no mixes, no memories) - and that was when most people's take-home pay was less than 500 bucks.

Some perspective is in order, here...

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:41 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,502 Posts
will the fly sky gt3b be compatible with losi 2.4 ghz systems??

in particular:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/160698443881?...84.m1439.l2649
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:08 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
will the fly sky gt3b be compatible with losi 2.4 ghz systems??

in particular:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/160698443881?...84.m1439.l2649
Unlike the old analog systems, 2.4 GHz spread-spectrum RC systems are not cross-platform-compatible. Losi uses Spektrum receivers, so a Spektrum transmitter is required.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:30 PM
MD6
Joined Sep 2011
13 Posts
turboparker-The radio system you've selected appears to be the same as the one below. I know people that have it and like it. You can hardly beat the price.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html

And this is the Ebay price here for the brushless conversion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOSB9593-Los...#ht_2296wt_690
MD6 is offline Find More Posts by MD6
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:02 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,628 Posts
MD6,

I have no idea what you are talking about. I didn't select any radio system. ValiantGLX asked about transmitter compatibility - not me.

However - the transmitter in the link that you provided is not compatible with the Losi 2.4 GHz system in the eBay link that you provided. As I already said - the Losi kit uses a Spektrum DSM receiver.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:05 AM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
Well, no shock, the delrin 14 t pinion melted after a few tries of 3 cell abuse on the Losi 10Kv BL motor. Total run time? maybe about 15 minutes, lol...That's no surprise. Brass pinions are on order, though, har!
ho50ca is offline Find More Posts by ho50ca
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:24 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,628 Posts
LOSB9593 2.4 GHz brushless conversion kit

My LOSB9593 2.4 GHz brushless kit should be here in a day or so. I'm looking forward to dumping the crappy 27 MHz toy RC band & getting rid of the the brushed motor! I'll let you guys know how it goes...

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:02 PM
N. Adams,Ma.
Joined Sep 2008
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
My LOSB9593 2.4 GHz brushless kit should be here in a day or so. I'm looking forward to dumping the crappy 27 MHz toy RC band & getting rid of the the brushed motor! I'll let you guys know how it goes...

Joel
Brushless and 2.4 make a huge difference. You will love it.
gordonmoney is offline Find More Posts by gordonmoney
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:01 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,628 Posts
Video - SCT w/LOSB9593 2.4 GHz brushless conversion kit on 2s

Guys,

The kit showed up today. The installation was easy, as expected. The only step that was even mildly troublesome was installing the switch!

This thing is fast on a Hyp 240 2s pack! The SCT handles very well at speed - much better than I would have expected at this scale. The Spektrum rx is glitch-free & provides plenty of range, and 1024-step resolution provides a very welcome improvement in steering precision! Everything seems to run cool enough, but I didn't have a chance to really wring her out, as it was getting dark. I shot some video - however, it was too dark for my hatcam, so it didn't turn out. Looks like we're getting some snow tonight, so it may be awhile before I can shoot some more footage.

EDIT 12/30: Snow didn't show, so I shot some video this morning. Chassis is stock. Just running the LOSB9593 kit with stock gearing on a homebrew Hyperion 240 mAh 2s pack. The 4:30 run only used 80 mAh. The pack & motor area were cool to the touch after the run.

Losi Micro SCT w/LOSB9593 2.4 GHz brushless conversion on 2s (4 min 56 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 30, 2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Added video
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:22 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,628 Posts
Pics - SCT w/LOSB9593 2.4 GHz brushless conversion kit

Here are a few pics of the installation:

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:40 AM
USA, NH, Bow
Joined Jun 2007
355 Posts
I received some parts from Hobbyking yesterday for my micro rally wanted to share my experience..

1. HexTronik Balancer/Charger Dual Charge Capable

Seems very simple, just power it with a 12v supply, connect lipo via charging cord, wait for led to indicate charge.

2. ZIPPY Flightmax 180mAh 2S 15C

Fairly easy to squeeze into the stock battery slot, improved speed. Simple/cheap upgrade.

3. Rhino 360mAh 2S 7.4v 20C Lipoly Pack

Barely fits in the slot, not enough room to for the wires to fit, if you need the capacity and don't mind expanding the battery slot or trimming wires, this may work for you. I'm putting it aside for now.

4. JST Female 2 pin connector set (10pcs/set)

Replaced the stock connector on the vehicle with this. Cheaper vs going with losi micro connectors here and fewer changes. I may go to deans micro later because these jst plugs are rather large.

Took it out on the ice crusted back yard:
Losi Micro Rally on Ice (2 min 42 sec)
bobbutts is online now Find More Posts by bobbutts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:11 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
@ turbo parker

nice install thats what im talkin about stock looking ride no mess no fuss nice and clean great work there .

oh and forgot FAST as hell !!
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:32 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcphreak View Post
nice install thats what im talkin about stock looking ride no mess no fuss nice and clean great work there .

oh and forgot FAST as hell !!
RCPhreak,

Thanks for the compliments! (I like to keep my full-scale hot-rods clean & stock-appearing, too.)

Weekend ride: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=269

Daily-driver: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=270

I had been thinking about going b/l for awhile, but I wanted to preserve the handling - which requires one to keep the roll-center low & maintain a reasonable F/R weight ratio. A number of the aftermarket conversions I looked at appeared to negatively affect chassis balance, and many of them weren't very tidy. I knew that Losi was going to eventually release this kit, so I decided to wait until it became available. It went in without a hitch, the CG is down low where it should be, and the motor & ESC are just barely warm after a hard run with a homebrew Hyperion 240 mAh 2s pack. The best part is that it handles surprisingly well at speed. I plan to upgrade the steering servo, however. With the receiver's 1024-step resolution, a high-quality, precision digital steering servo will make things even better.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 17, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:21 AM
Foam is good.
Tucker, GA
Joined Dec 2007
2,335 Posts
I'd like to resurrect this thread to keep the discussion open.

I have one tip about the slipper. I could not adjust mine while holding it down and locking the spur with my thumb. I had to use needle nose pliers on the driveshaft. Theres a tiny hole in the shaft toward the front diff. Use that as a guide to make sure you are actually loosening the slipper. Once it's loose, set it for just a tad of slip on full throttle takeoff. Your diffs will last much longer.

John

Btw, nice GNX Joel. My grandfather had an SSEi. Holy moly that thing would get it.
HomeDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HomeDaddy