Old Feb 06, 2016, 01:00 PM
Find More Posts by PyroMan
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2011
600 Posts
Discussion
Get what you pay for? - Batteries

Hello all,

So when I bought my first plane (Slow Stick) about 6 years ago I bought a PowerWing 2100mah 3s lipo for close to $40 from what was then HobbyLobbyInternational.com (Hobby Express now).

Since then I have bought multiple Turnigy batteries from Hobby King that are in the ~$8 range.

The majority of my Turnigy batteries have gone a little soft (slightly puffy) or they just don't hold a charge like they should. Whereas 6 years later, the PowerWing battery is still going strong. It is by far the best battery in my battery box. It holds a charge great and it is hard as a rock (no puffyness at all). This battery is still working for me even after discharging it past 80% multiple times (when I first started flying I had no idea Lipos weren't to be discharged past 80%).

I always try to take care of my batteries and never discharge more than 80%, never store them fully charged, etc. but the Turnigy batts seem to crap out sooner than they should.

So I guess I'm just wanting to confirm my suspicions that when it comes to Lipos, you get what you pay for.

Also, what are some decent priced lipos that are robust? They're a wee bit pricey (compared to china), but I'm tempted to order some more PowerWings just due to the luck I've had with them.

I'd much rather pay 3x the price for a battery that lasts much longer than a cheap battery I can't trust.
PyroMan is offline Find More Posts by PyroMan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2016, 01:27 PM
Find More Posts by Rampage
DFS#000178
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Aug 2005
6,365 Posts
I have a Thunder Power 2100Mah that I bought over 10 years ago that has hundreds and hundreds of cycles on it that still holds strong.

Of course that battery was $80 10 years ago and I could get 10 of the Turnigy batteries for the price.

If you're not flying an application that needs every tiny last amp you can possibly suck out of the battery, the Turnigy and Zippy lipos are fine. For 99% of sport flying they're perfect. For that 1% of high-draw 3D and EDF flying, you definitely want a more robust pack.

I fly the yellow Zippy Compacts in almost everything now, almost exclusively. And have no regrets.
Rampage is online now Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Feb 07, 2016, 01:16 AM
Find More Posts by James_S
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
4,507 Posts
There are some very good batteries and some lousy batteries with prices all over the map. Sometimes a high price buys you a premium product, other times it just lightens your wallet. You can't shop strictly by price. On the other hand, if the cheap HK batteries only lasted you 1/4 as long, you still come out ahead buying $8 batteries vs a $40 battery.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S