Old Nov 27, 2015, 05:16 AM
Find More Posts by EasySimes
Australia, NSW, Gladesville
Joined Apr 2014
351 Posts
Discussion
Pilatus PC-9 Warbird Trainer 1200mm from Hobby King

I have just bought this plane in the recent Cyber Monday Hobby King Sale where it was only $86.00 AUD! I looked for a thread for the plane and could not find one so I have started this one one here.

So for any of you who, like me, thought that this was just too much plane to pass up, let's share some tips and trick to get us started.

For any of you already own it please share your knowledge such as CG position, alternative 2 blade props and what to do if the Retracts stop working (I saw that on the HK site for the plane).

No plane is perfect but at $86.00 I can put up with a bit of hassle.
EasySimes is offline Find More Posts by EasySimes
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2015, 05:51 AM
Joined Apr 2014
351 Posts
I am pretty certain the plane is by UniqueRC and these are a couple of reviews about that plane.

Review
Unique Models T-6 TEXAN II / PC-9 Flight Review (9 min 35 sec)

Build Guide
Unique Models T-6 TEXAN II / PC-9 Build Guide (33 min 45 sec)
Old Nov 27, 2015, 06:51 AM
Find More Posts by shoey
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
803 Posts
I couldnt go past the bargain as well! just over $100 to the door is not bad..... even if the retracts need replacing!!

I think i might refinish mine - strip it back, spackfiller, WBPU, panel lines and nice shiny paint job!
shoey is offline Find More Posts by shoey
Old Nov 27, 2015, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by Banged Up Bixler
Australia, VIC, Geelong
Joined Sep 2014
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasySimes View Post
I have just bought this plane in the recent Cyber Monday Hobby King Sale where it was only $86.00 AUD! I looked for a thread for the plane and could not find one so I have started this one one here.

So for any of you who, like me, thought that this was just too much plane to pass up, let's share some tips and trick to get us started.

For any of you already own it please share your knowledge such as CG position, alternative 2 blade props and what to do if the Retracts stop working (I saw that on the HK site for the plane).

No plane is perfect but at $86.00 I can put up with a bit of hassle.
G'day EasySimes, you are right, no plane is perfect. But I've been flying mine for almost a year without any issues at all. Great flying plane and looks phenomenal in the air.
I really think this plane gets a bad wrap from a few on the HK forum.
There is another thread for the T-6 (USAF version), but it is the same plane - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1460437
Spares available from me in Australia on eBay too. http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/mad_rc

I did a few videos on YouTube for the unbox, build, maiden and some prop tests I did with 3s and 2 blades.

BUILD
Unique Models PC-9 RC Plane Build (20 min 31 sec)

MAIDEN
Unique Models PC-9 Maiden (2 min 49 sec)

PROP TESTS
Unique Models PC-9 - 3 Cells + Prop Test (7 min 24 sec)

Some fun
Unique Models PC-9 - Two at a time (5 min 47 sec)

I have moved the battery back, with some modifications to the foam and it helps take off, but I had been running the C of G at about 2cm from the leading edge and it flew well.

If I can help at all, let me know.

Cheers
Michael
Banged Up Bixler is offline Find More Posts by Banged Up Bixler
Old Nov 27, 2015, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by Gerry Santos
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2001
645 Posts
I am confused on the CG location. Is it 2cm or might be 2 inches from the LE? The CG location based on the rcinformer video is located 50mm which is roughly 2 inches.
Gerry Santos is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Santos
Old Nov 27, 2015, 09:28 AM
Find More Posts by ShortarseYoda
Joined Jan 2014
6 Posts
Thanks for starting the thread. I too took the plunge. I only paid around $80 US for the plane delivered including 2 4 cell 2200 packs so to be honest I'm not expecting too much lol! However I'm prepared to mods etc. One thing this plane doesn't have which I would really like is flaps to slow the landing and take off down. I have read on the HK site that there is a thread for this mod - can anybody help? I won't be able to get my hands on it as it's going under the tree (a present to me from Millie our dog lol!) figured I could sneak it by the Mrs like that lol!
I really would like to add flaps and get the bits together now so I'm ready over the Xmas hol's to put it together. Cheers SY.
ShortarseYoda is offline Find More Posts by ShortarseYoda
Old Nov 28, 2015, 02:27 AM
Australia, VIC, Geelong
Joined Sep 2014
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Santos View Post
I am confused on the CG location. Is it 2cm or might be 2 inches from the LE? The CG location based on the rcinformer video is located 50mm which is roughly 2 inches.
Gerry, I flew mine stock, with the a 4s 2200mAh 30c as far back as it would go, without hitting the canopy arm, which gave it a CG of about 2cm (50mm).

It flew just fine like that, but it does improve take off and landings a fair bit if you cut out a bit of foam in front of the servo tray to get the battery mounted further back and under the canopy arm (like the RC Informer vid).

One thing to note is that the vids by RC informer are for an older version the plane. His plane ran 3s and has a bigger prop and high kv motor.

Hope that helps.
Cheers
Michael
Old Nov 28, 2015, 02:50 AM
Australia, VIC, Geelong
Joined Sep 2014
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortarseYoda View Post
Thanks for starting the thread. I too took the plunge. I only paid around $80 US for the plane delivered including 2 4 cell 2200 packs so to be honest I'm not expecting too much lol! However I'm prepared to mods etc. One thing this plane doesn't have which I would really like is flaps to slow the landing and take off down. I have read on the HK site that there is a thread for this mod - can anybody help? I won't be able to get my hands on it as it's going under the tree (a present to me from Millie our dog lol!) figured I could sneak it by the Mrs like that lol!
I really would like to add flaps and get the bits together now so I'm ready over the Xmas hol's to put it together. Cheers SY.
G'day Yoda,
I think you're looking for the mod by the member Rob Knox - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=215

It is a nice mod!

Cheers
Michael
Old Nov 29, 2015, 03:02 AM
Find More Posts by SDYER
Joined Aug 2005
70 Posts
I too ordered one from HK on the BlackFriday special - cant wait for it to arrive - this is a really nice looking plane and I love the orange colour scheme - should help me see it in the cloud.
I'll post a vid when I get it in the air. I usually post my vids here: www.facebook.com/solardrone
There certainly seems to be some confusion about the CG. 2cm back must be wrong. They must mean 2 inches back surely.
SDYER is offline Find More Posts by SDYER
Old Nov 29, 2015, 06:02 AM
Find More Posts by Gerry Santos
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2001
645 Posts
Test flew the PC 9 yesterday with CG at 50mm from the LE. If flew fine and uneventful. Aileron was quite sensitive though. The landing gears are really bad. The main landing gear will not go down or up while preparing it for the 2nd flight. Any suggestions on the best retract gear replacement from HK?

Thanks.
Gerry Santos is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Santos
Old Nov 29, 2015, 07:32 PM
Find More Posts by SDYER
Joined Aug 2005
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Santos View Post
Test flew the PC 9 yesterday with CG at 50mm from the LE. If flew fine and uneventful. Aileron was quite sensitive though. The landing gears are really bad. The main landing gear will not go down or up while preparing it for the 2nd flight. Any suggestions on the best retract gear replacement from HK?

Thanks.
I saw quite a few comments about the controller for the landing gear failing elsewhere (on Youtube I think or maybe on HK discussion under the plane buy page?? ) They said that it was replaced by HK without needing to send the plane or parts to them.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 07:34 PM
Find More Posts by SDYER
Joined Aug 2005
70 Posts
I keep watching the vids on YouTube - cant wait to get this plane.

But why are all the takeoffs really wobbly - is the front steering wheel over sensitive - can it be adjusted?

I note a discussion elsewhere about it needing flaps -the landings do seem fast - does it tip stall easily? One of the vids showed the aileron had been split to form a flap. How about flaperons people? Anyone tried it? Easy to set up in mixer.
Old Dec 01, 2015, 09:25 AM
Joined Jan 2014
6 Posts
Thanks Michael. I will do the flap mod for sure. I am also concerned about the CofG. It varies between 2cm and 5cm depending on what you read. All of the videos I've seen sure the model with a long take-off role and seemingly reluctant to rotate. BTW I meant £80 UK not $80 lol! But it was still too good an offer to pass-up! Cheers Dude, best regards SY.
Old Dec 01, 2015, 05:31 PM
Joined Jan 2014
6 Posts
Ok just inspected mine and although there are a couple of problems it's acceptable. First thing was that the prop adapter was poking out the end of the box. Second thing was the motor was loose and 2 out of the 4 mounting screws will not tighten. So first thing will be to get take the motor off fill the holes with epoxy and micro balloons and re-drill the mounting holes unless they are bolts with non-captive nuts which I assume they are not? - Can anybody advise please? Anyway will post some pictures when I start getting the plane sorted. One thing for sure is the HK is living up to my (lack) of expectations lol!
Old Dec 03, 2015, 04:45 AM
Joined Apr 2014
351 Posts
Still waiting for mine to arrive. I found a thread on this model after I started this post but it is pretty old and I think we should keep this one goind share the tips etc here (than BangedUp).
Interested to see if mine has the dodgy motor mount and Retracts Controller I have read about.