HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:32 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,670 Posts
Discussion
Better aresti dict

Found a better aresti diagram dictionary today. The one I had before was kinda incomplete. So far this one looks much better.
rpstar is online now Find More Posts by rpstar
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:58 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,670 Posts
Ooh, cool resource on learning aerobatics/aresti:

http://training.mini-iac.com/Default.html
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:28 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,798 Posts
That first link is handy
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Racing anyone?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:40 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
That first link is handy
Second is even better as it goes through the diagrams in detail via video overview. Also, videos of the current 2013 sequences here:

http://www.mini-iac.com/Training/tabid/121/Default.aspx

Been practicing some of this on the sim and foamy. Have no intent to compete or anything but I believe trying to learn these patterns will make you a far better pilot than just focusing on 3d or of course boring holes in the sky. I'm seeing improvements in myself as a result. I don't think it's a coincidence the best 3d pilots out there are often IMAC guys.

The Eagle tree is proving a great help on the foamy. It clearly does not fly the plane for you but it takes out most of the imperfections without you messing with mixes. I can see why people liken it to the removal of the flybar on the heli as the plane feels more responsive because you are fighting less wackiness. I suppose the one bad thing about this is you could use it possibly to mask some bad setup or issues with the plane like a twisted aileron. On a foamy though thats par for the course so works great there.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:01 PM
DLGFPVBAJAOCD
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
3,620 Posts
Just what I've been looking for. I need a teacher to help me out with some new moves though. The sim is ok, but I would benefit more from an experienced pilot telling me what to do.
electrich is online now Find More Posts by electrich
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:12 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich View Post
Just what I've been looking for. I need a teacher to help me out with some new moves though. The sim is ok, but I would benefit more from an experienced pilot telling me what to do.
I started learning the basic today for 2013. Was pretty competent on my foamy with the first four. Will try the next four tommorrow. The foamy really helps for now as it can slow down so nicely to help you concentrate on the inputs. I found myself really enjoying the flying with a purpose. Might even decide to attend a competition.

I should have the EF Edge finished and ready for Saturday and plan to set it up with some IMAC appropriate rates and see how it goes.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:25 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,670 Posts
Ok, freaking cool:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...imaclite&hl=en

Also have an App for the iphone.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:48 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,798 Posts
Russ,

I started to learn the 2012 routine last year and you are dead right about it making you a better pilot. One thing it forced me to do for the first time in my RC career, was to actually utilize my DR/TR functions to use low and lower rates to perform more consistent maneuvers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:32 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Russ,

I started to learn the 2012 routine last year and you are dead right about it making you a better pilot. One thing it forced me to do for the first time in my RC career, was to actually utilize my DR/TR functions to use low and lower rates to perform more consistent maneuvers.
It's making me re-evalutate my control surface setups on all my planes.

One thing I've learned is that while you can probably get away with it on today's best planes IMAC and 3d setups are not really complementary. 3D takes things to the max throws and produces weaker control surface connections (due to that maxing out in the servo arm) which can result in flutter and crashes at high speed. In practice I get the feeling the best planes and equipment don't suffer from this so much (ie: stronger servos today) and at least some IMAC pilots do this:

High rate = 3d
Mid rate = IMAC high
Low rate = IMAC low
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:07 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,798 Posts
I like low rates for all my rolling maneuvers, high rates for spin entries.
RCG Plus Member