HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2011, 10:49 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,297 Posts
Hi Mike,

It's nice to see you haven't given up on us yet, one of us is certain to get a Raven flying eventually. It is probably safe to say that my available stock of 1/4 sheet was on the heavier side of the balsa spectrum and therefore less inclined to bend around the bottom of the fuselage. The way I fly and land, it is probably better for me to have a little denser wood on the bottom of the fuselage.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2011, 10:38 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,005 Posts
Yes still here Wayne, I'm sure one will make it in the air sooner or later

Mike
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Aug 08, 2011, 07:15 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,567 Posts
Hi Mike,

Good to see you here. I'm taking a Summer building break. I'll be back at it this Fall, when the 44 weeks of rain starts here in Seattle. Looks like Scottie will be the first in the air, then Wayne, then maybe me. It depends on the rain at that point.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:41 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hemel Hempstead
Joined Mar 2009
39 Posts
Laser cut ribs

Are the laser cut ribs still available to order ?

Thanks in advance

Ashley
Ashley123 is online now Find More Posts by Ashley123
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:00 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,297 Posts
Hello Ashley,

Thanks for stopping by the build. I will contact Tony and ask him if he would be willing to cut another set of ribs and see what the cost will be. I will ask him to reply here so you can get the answer.

Wayne
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:39 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,768 Posts
Hi Scottie

Did you ever get you sign shopped parts for your new bird?, did you make out ok in the storm? Have been seeing all the damage in Vermont boy those people are in for a long haul getting the roads fixed etc just hard to believe that much water in a short period of time what a shame !!

G Don

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Sep 06, 2011, 08:10 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,297 Posts
Ashley,

I have been "otherwise occupied" and have only now had time to send Tony the email about getting a set of ribs. As soon as hear from him I will let you know.

OK everyone, time for a small update. I am finally able to get back to the Raven build. Late Summer/Fall is always a busy time for me with house stuff but I should have more time to dedicate to the build. Right now I am getting ready to button up the fuselage. The fuselage top sheeting need to go on next but before I can do that I need to secure the horizontal stab control rod down the length of the fuselage. In order to do that I need to have a rough idea where the servos are going. I think I am going to put them in the fuselage between the F2 and F3 formers. The Rudder servo will go up against the F3 former and the elevator servo will sit just forward of that. That will leave room for the receiver to go behind the battery and in front of the servos which should help keep wires away from moving parts. Any thoughts on this would be helpful before I cast this decision in stone.

I am off to make control rod bracing.

Wayne
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:59 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,297 Posts
Hello all,

I have a couple of observations I would like to share with you tonight. I have been putting along on the fuselage and playing with the servo layout. I am using a HS-85MG for the elevator and a HS-225 for the rudder. I think I am the only current builder using the pull pull rudder method and would like to share the following with you. In order for the pull pull rudder cables to clear both wing joiners your rudder servo needs to be located forward of former #3. That was the only way I was able to get the cable runs to not touch the back wing joiner. Just a heads up there. I went over to the local hobby shop and found some really nice, light weight balsa for the top sheeting. Some of the balsa I have is on the heavy/hard side, and though it makes for rugged bottom sheeting, it is a little heavy for everything.

My shop has been a little on the cold side to mix epoxy but we finally broke down and turned on the furnace for a couple of days so I will have a warmer shop and now I can get the elevator control rod tube epoxied to the fuselage. After that I can button up the fuselage.

Mike - when running the cables for the rudder, do you suggest running them parallel or should I cross them to the servo?

Last, I asked Mike for permission to post this. It is a 8.5 x 11 drawing of the Raven fuselage and wings. I printed a bunch of them for myself and colored them with crayons to get a better feel of color schemes for my build. I hope it helps all of you. I should have some pictures soon although they don't show too much. Control rod placement and fitting is hardly picture worthy.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Sep 27, 2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 10:42 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,297 Posts
I am slowly moving forward on the fuselage. I finished the elevator pushrod and I have test fit the servo for same. Looks like it will work out well. I had a little excitement while epoxying on the threaded brass clevis coupler. A tiny amount of epoxy got onto the tube housing where the rod exits it. I had to work fast to get it off the rod and not let it get pushed into the tube.

I have been contemplating adding a ballast tube in the fuselage before I close it up. I have little experience with ballast and am not really sure how much weight I should plan for. If the target weight for the finished plane is around 60 oz then should I plan for 10% or possibly more. If any of you out there can share your experience I would appreciate it.

Not too much to see on my progress but here is a couple of shots of the pushrod install.

Wayne
Old Oct 03, 2011, 04:08 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post

Mike - when running the cables for the rudder, do you suggest running them parallel or should I cross them to the servo?
Wayne, I ran them parallel and I usually do in my models, but technically they are a more direct route to the rudder horns if you cross them, I just worry about them rubbing over each other.

Mike
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Oct 03, 2011, 05:43 PM
Service First
United States, CT, Torrington
Joined Feb 2006
137 Posts
Wayne
Thanks for posting on the woodie thread, I'll be ordering my plans in the next day or so.

If there are laser cut parts available, I would be interested also.

Thanks
johnfh is offline Find More Posts by johnfh
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:54 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,297 Posts
Hi John,

Thanks for stopping by the build. I have 2 emails and a PM to Tony inquiring about cutting more ribs. He travels some and depending on where he is at any given time he can be unavailable for weeks. When I hear back from him I will post something here and send a PM to you and Ashley.

Hey Scottie!

You ever going to get your Raven back from the painter? If you wait much longer it will be too cold to fly it and we will all have to wait through the long cold winter before we get to see it fly.

Wayne
Old Oct 08, 2011, 07:00 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,972 Posts
In the storm we had the sign shop took a beating and there was some damage to the wings,not bad but another recover is in order as they have a lot of small holes from stuff that was tossed around when a section of the roof was blown off the shop.I should have gotten out to pick them up but with the work I had going on I just didn't have time.The bird will get done but I've just lost some heart in the project for now and would rather work on some other stuff for a time untill I get my interest back.scottie.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Oct 08, 2011, 08:40 AM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,567 Posts
Hi Scottie,

I understand. We will be here when you get back to it.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2011, 03:57 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,768 Posts
Hi Scottie

Well that's a bummer, was looking forward to seeing what your buddy had done for the trim, sometimes mother nature sure does through us a curve!!

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don