SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2007, 11:30 AM
danielsville,pa
Joined Jul 2007
108 Posts
Help!
Loose Covering!!!!

I have installed the standed 3m 77 glue and colored packing tape on 2 of my wings. It stayed tight for about a year but now is flapping in the breeze when flying (sounds cool but looks bad). Both wings are epp. I have tried a heat gun with no luck but Iam afraid of putting the heat iron to it. Should I just bite the bullit and pull the covering off? Is it practical to use 1/2 oz glass and PU to cover them?
jethead is offline Find More Posts by jethead
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2007, 01:59 PM
Bauwingmiester
Florida Gville
Joined Jul 2005
522 Posts
For covering we (wing builders) avoid using 77 instead we use 90 it cures all the way where heat or humid weather will cause 77 to never ever cure. Its designed to stay tacky. CK(klique) studied this long ago and wrote/dvd a building bible on the topic.

DSS "catahuladave"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethead
I have installed the standed 3m 77 glue and colored packing tape on 2 of my wings. It stayed tight for about a year but now is flapping in the breeze when flying (sounds cool but looks bad). Both wings are epp. I have tried a heat gun with no luck but Iam afraid of putting the heat iron to it. Should I just bite the bullit and pull the covering off? Is it practical to use 1/2 oz glass and PU to cover them?
catahuladave is offline Find More Posts by catahuladave
Old Nov 11, 2007, 12:01 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,586 Posts
A year is a pretty long lifespan for a wing isn't it?
I never use heat guns on covering but I use an iron on eveything, strapping tape, covering, packing tape. Way more control with an iron than with the heat gun. Try the iron first.
I highly discourage glass/ pu over EPP.
3m77 and ironing should still give an excellent finish.
I use thinned goop but the problem is you won't be able to pull it up without pulling up foam

stu
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Nov 11, 2007, 02:30 PM
danielsville,pa
Joined Jul 2007
108 Posts
Thanks everyone. Iwill try my iron. Iam getting ready to maiden my mini bee with a ls park jet motor. I just finished burying my micro jet,Ithink I have a bad reciever in it.
jethead is offline Find More Posts by jethead