HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2004, 04:25 PM
Napa, CA
Joined Apr 2003
314 Posts
What should I expect on my Mini Speedwing Maiden

I finished up my Mini Speedwing last night and have it all balanced and computer TX all dialed in for dual rates. But I've never flown a wing before. I've flown a Switchback, Tantrum, Slowstick, Bantam Bipe, Sky Scooter, Molt Hellcat. So I know how to fly conventional airplanes. Is this wing gonna be much diffent? How much reflex (up angled elevons) do I need to dial in?

I just need the usual wing newbie advice.

thanks

BTW, the MSW goes together quickly and feels solid as a rock once you get all the strapping and packing tape on. How durable is this little bird?
Mesmer is offline Find More Posts by Mesmer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:58 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
There are only a couple of things to check. Make sure the C.G. is right. Dial in about 1/8" of reflex (up elevator) to start with. For your first flights, use the "Mild" control throws that are stated in the manual.

To launch, just use the built in finger launch and toss it into the air at a slgihtly a nose up angle. You can toss it a few times with the power off to trim it out. It will glide for quite a way with just a slight toss.

Then, when it is trimmed, toss again and add throttle. You don't have to give full throttle as the MSW will cruise at about 1/4 throttle.

Oh, and don't worry about crashing it. I've tested all my wings with countless unexpected "landings"

-- Acer
Acer is online now Find More Posts by Acer
Old Apr 30, 2004, 12:21 AM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
It takes a lot to really damage a MSW. My second wing took 20 hours of extremely hard flying to "kill" it. After the crash that ultimately was its demise, I still put two more hours on it. Anatomy of a killed MSW, (radar gunned dive) 96mph into the square edge of a soccer goal at a slight angle. Broke the center keel at the midpoint of the wing and split the foam along the edge of the keel and through the left servo area. Thankfully, all my other electronics and my battery were to the right side of the split.

All told, I am on my third Speedwing including their new Micro. I fly them more than any other plane I own combined. The planes you have flown to this point should make you fly the MSW with ease. Just make sure you have your servos going the right way (I had one reversed for aileron, but was OK for elevator) and you will be fine. Just take it easy the first flight, the MSW are faster than they sometimes appear.
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
Old Apr 30, 2004, 12:04 PM
Napa, CA
Joined Apr 2003
314 Posts
Well I maidened the speedwing last night. I gave it a toss to see what it would do, and it glided pretty well, so I gave it another and only added about 1/4 throttle. I'm used to my other planes that will fly at 1/4. Maybe my MSW is just a bit too fat cuz it wouldn't gain altitude and I didn't realize it soon enough so I ditched it in the weeds. My dog that that was her opportunity to check out dad's new plane, so she ran right over to it and decided to add her TWO stamps of approval. She left two paw prints on the right top side of the wing. Plus she knocked off one of the winglets. Well after a decent toung lashing I threw the MSW back in the air, keep in mind with only one winglet!

I got it up to altitude and found it a bit squirrley but figured it was due to the winglet missing or slightly off CG. Well I flew for about 10 minutes and got close to some unplanned landings. So I called it an evening and went home to repair the winglet.

Well I took it back out this morning and it flew SO MUCH BETTER with both winglets. Man what a kick this thing is to fly. And yes my dog gave it another single paw stamp of approval. And man does it glide when you cut power! But it glides fast.

Acer, thanks for the fun flying bird!
Old May 09, 2004, 11:27 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
mesmer im waiting on my MSW to arive it should be here inbetween tomorrow and friday what battery pack did u use?
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Old May 10, 2004, 01:01 AM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
Not to answer for Mesmer as I do not know his setup, but I have flown the MSW on the 1020 Kokam, 730 Thunder Power, 860 Thunder Power and the 1200 E-Tech, all in 2s1p configuration. The 730's were my pack of choice in calm air where the 860 and 1020 for windier conditions. The heavier weight of the packs allowed for a bit more inertia to penetrate the wind.
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
Old May 10, 2004, 02:21 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
can someone tell me the reciver compartment size in the wing and also how thick the wing is where the reciver is placed i need to make slight mods to mine i only have a normal size reciver out of its case gf wont let me spend any more money
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Old May 10, 2004, 10:04 AM
Napa, CA
Joined Apr 2003
314 Posts
I fly with an Etec 1200 2 cell pack, just cuz it's the lightest I've got. I've got a berg 4 microstamp RX in my MSW and it fits well, but I'm not sure how a full size RX would fit even without the case, you'll just have to wait and see how thick the foam is compared to your RX
Old May 10, 2004, 01:03 PM
Joined Dec 2003
796 Posts
The wing is about 1 inch thick.There is no actual compartment, you just hollow out where you need to. I think a regular rx will be too large in space and weight. If you can aford it a gws R-4P works great $28 US and is lite and small. I use a 2s irate 500 pack, its lite and gives you plenty of flight time. The MSW is a good thermaler too.I have gotten hour flights off a 500 pack by climbing up , shuting down the motor and thermaling.When you lose your lift just motor up again!
robert harik is offline Find More Posts by robert harik