HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2014, 05:17 PM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Jun 2014
277 Posts
Discussion
22xx/18xx motors - Comparative Thrust Tests

Edit: The spreadsheet has been updated with a second tab for 22xx motors

Hi all, I'm hoping this will become an easy to use resource for those looking for straight forward thrust test comparisons. RCGroups is a great resource, but much of the data is dispersed and hard to find. This is an attempt to bring all that data together in one easy to find and up to date location. I have created a spreadsheet to compile and compare the thrust data posted on rcgroups for the following motors:

18xx motors
DYS BE1806 2300kv
RCTimer HP1806 2300kv
EMAX MT1804 2480KV 
EMAX MT1806 2280KV 
RCX / ZMR 1804 2400KV
MTO1806-2300-MK 

22xx motors
Multistar 2206 2150kV
SunnySky x2204S 2300kV
HoverShip H2204 2300kV
Cobra C2204/32 1960kV
T-Motor MN2204 2300kV

A proper thank you
First of all I need to thank Mustang7302, Soma, EngineerX, and all the others who posted their thrust data here. It is their data that I used to create this comparison. While others have performed thrust tests w/ 18xx motors, they suffered from one issue or another. The majority used a motor-on-scale setup which are inaccurate due to prop wash distortion.

Disclaimers
1. I did not collect this data myself so I cannot be held accountable for its accuracy.

2. Prices are based on a cursory internet search. They do not include shipping and should only be used as an estimate.

About the data
1. All tests utilized 3S LiPo's with voltages not varying by more than 5% (11.8V-12.4V)

2. For each motor, there is an entry for the propeller that was tested, the thrust provided at 100% throttle, the amperage at 100% throttle, the efficiency at 100% throttle, and (if available) the same numbers at 50% throttle.

3. Efficiency was measured in a ratio of grams of thrust per amp. While grams/watt is a more standard measurement, this data was not easily extracted from Mustang7302's tests (ie amps provided at 50% throttle, voltage only provided at 47% throttle). This should not significantly alter the data as voltage differed by no more than 0.6V.

4. The most interesting table is the one to the far right. The motors are scored based on the belief that the best motor is one that provides the most efficiency at lower throttle, and the most thrust at a higher throttle. These scores calculated based on (Eff50*Thrust100) and then turned into a score relative to the worst motor. In addition, a relative value field is calculated based on the score per dollar value (Eff50*Thrust100/Price). Think of this as a "bang for your buck" measure.

5. The astute observer will note that the 18xx scores are perhaps less-than-ideal due to comparing different props across the same motor. Scrolling down further reveals 1 prop per motor comparison which yields similar rankings. This issue has been corrected in the 22xx motor data by scoring each Motor/Prop combination individually then taking the best combination for each motor for the final competitive scoring.

6. Unfortunately not all motors were tested with all the same propellers. To keep the data comparable, I generally discarded data that was only provided with one motor (IE HQ prop 3 blade data). The exception is when the prop in question was significantly superior (ie CF HQ6045 on the MT1806). In addition a 4S test was discarded because it was not comparable to any of the other tests.

The Data
Without further ado, click here to see the spreadsheet in question.

Come on dude, just tell me which motor to buy
18xx motors: While the DYS BE1806 2300kv motors come out on top, I'd personally go with RCTimer HP1806 2300kv because they're all black and I'm into aesthetics

22xx motors: With the exception of the Multistar and T-Motor motors, the motors here are all very similar in performance. The HoverShip motor has the best performance and "bang for your buck" out of the group. On the other side, the T-Motor motors are poor performers and obscenely overpriced. But hey, there is a sucker born every minute, right?
akcom is online now Find More Posts by akcom
Last edited by akcom; Jul 28, 2014 at 12:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2014, 08:29 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,459 Posts
Thanks for compiling the data akcom.

Good stuff. Good job.

-Daryoon
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:12 AM
Certified Heli Addict
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
995 Posts
Thanks for compiling, would it be O.K. if I used some of this info in a review for the Dragonfly 1806 mini motor?
RaymondM is online now Find More Posts by RaymondM
Old Jul 26, 2014, 07:46 PM
Joined Jun 2014
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondM View Post
Thanks for compiling, would it be O.K. if I used some of this info in a review for the Dragonfly 1806 mini motor?
Go for it! I'd love to see how they compare! If you can send me a PM when the data is in, I'll add it to the spreadsheet
Last edited by akcom; Jul 26, 2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 08:17 AM
Certified Heli Addict
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
995 Posts
Well the data I was going to use for the Dragonflys is the data given in the original spec sheet from the company. Here is the link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2201734
RaymondM is online now Find More Posts by RaymondM
Old Jul 27, 2014, 04:53 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,459 Posts
@akcom

I would appreciate a similar post/comparision between the 2204 motors. I know those are popular motor choices too.

i.e. SunnySky 2204 2300k, Cobra 2204 2300k, Hengli 2204 2300k, etc...
Old Jul 27, 2014, 05:10 PM
:)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,588 Posts
And there's the new Dualsky 2204 as well that's looking good.

I hadn't seen the Dragonfly either so thanks for the link there...
Soma is offline Find More Posts by Soma
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:45 PM
Joined Jun 2014
277 Posts
Daryoon, I am definitely looking forward to testing some of the 22xx motors myself. I just want to make sure before I do that I have a proper set up. I guess its time to buy some more motors, propellers, and a nice scale haha
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:52 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,459 Posts
I was thinking along the line of compiling the data like you did above. It's nice to see it formatted that way.

I have seen Soma, EngineerX and Mustang sharing some 2204 motor data. There's probably others too.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:01 AM
Joined Jun 2014
277 Posts
Daryoon, I have added a second tab with the 22xx motor data I could find. It's just unfortunate that there are a ton of other motors out there waiting to be tested

The methodology for the ranking was slightly different this time and hopefully slightly more realistic. Each prop/motor combination received a ranking based on Thrust100*Eff50 and the best combo was picked as that motors ranking. Thus the ranking does not include a cross-prop comparison. The most interesting point I can see is how absurdly overpriced the T-Motor MN2204's are. They're half the value (thrust per $) of even the crappiest motor (Multistar)

If there is any motors with thrust data you see that I missed out please let me know!
Last edited by akcom; Jul 28, 2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:25 AM
Joined Aug 2013
60 Posts
I just layed out for some sunnysky 2208 2300kv and they dont fair too bad against all those others, interesting to see a $15 dys do so dam well!

got the sunnyskys from hear with free shipping!
http://www.hobbytoys77.com/suunysky-...t8g8i1imkh5gn4
KillerJoe is offline Find More Posts by KillerJoe
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:01 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,459 Posts
Thank you @akcom

It's interesting to see from a glance, the way you formatted the data. Good work.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:12 AM
Joined Jun 2014
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Thank you @akcom

It's interesting to see from a glance, the way you formatted the data. Good work.
Thank you Daryoon. My goal is to make it as easy as possible for people to pull out the data they need quickly without having to analyze the whole thing. For me personally the E50*T100 measure is the most relevant, I just assumed that was the case for everyone else as well haha
Old Jul 28, 2014, 01:25 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,000 Posts
@ akcom,

I've been looking at your spreadsheet from the viewpoint of comparing some of my testing data to the numbers there.

As I understand it, you are using data from a number of people and sources and I can understand how things will vary from one tester to another. And can even vary widely in some cases.

I had a question about the props you report there as the HQ50xx and 60xx series. Are those the HQ Direct Drive props as listed here:

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...=53_56_268_328

I am in the process of getting some props for testing and want to make sure I am comparing the same props that you list in your spread sheet.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Jul 28, 2014, 01:43 PM
Joined Jun 2014
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
@ akcom,

I've been looking at your spreadsheet from the viewpoint of comparing some of my testing data to the numbers there.

As I understand it, you are using data from a number of people and sources and I can understand how things will vary from one tester to another. And can even vary widely in some cases.

I had a question about the props you report there as the HQ50xx and 60xx series. Are those the HQ Direct Drive props as listed here:

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...=53_56_268_328

I am in the process of getting some props for testing and want to make sure I am comparing the same props that you list in your spread sheet.

Jack
Hi Jack,
As you mention the results can vary somewhat from tester to tester. As all of the testers are multirotor flyers, I think it's a safe bet they are not the direct drive and are actually the props listed here.