HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2011, 06:12 PM
Joined Aug 2010
66 Posts
Discussion
Great Planes Super Sportster EP Rx-R

anyone seen or flown this new little guy yet? it looks interesting and i really enjoy the larger version.we r thinking about spec racing them
fast540 is offline Find More Posts by fast540
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2011, 02:00 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
532 Posts
GPSS Rx-R Initial Review

Maiden flight for mine was yesterday in windy conditions here in So Cal. I flew it once as the wind was blowing steady around 12 - 15 mph and was gusting even harder at the field, especially when I wanted to land. What's worse it was a 90-degree cross wind to the runway. Not the ideal conditions for a first flight but I was anxious to get it in the air after prepping it earlier in the week. Got it down safely but it wasn't very smooth ending up in some tall weeds...

I'm a novice RC pilot but from my perspective the plane flies well. It's a balanced flier and the CG was spot on as called out in the manual. Very predictable and stable handling. Tracks well and carves turns without needing much up elevator input to keep the nose pointed in the direction you want to go. It's not very fast (yet) but it did handle the wind pretty well. Still it's a fairly small and light plane as it did get pushed around by the turbulent winds.

I flew mine stock except for using a 25C 1800 mAh battery and switching the non-equal length rudder and elevator servo arms. The rudder servo arm is longer than the elevator's and (to me) the elevator throw is not nearly enough. After bench testing it, it seemed the rudder had too much travel whereas the elevator did not, maybe barely 20 degrees of deflection. I merely swapped the servo arms and did an EPA on my Airtronics SD-6G radio to lengthen out the rudder travel to compensate for the switch.

This is my first Great Planes/Electrifly model and I have to say I'm very impressed with the quality of this GPSS Rx-R aircraft. I've had my share of RTF's and a couple of receiver-ready models that leave a lot to be desired but this foam flyer is different. Excellent fit and finish, lots of attention to detail, nice pre-applied decals, and I like the use of the plywood for the battery tray, mating surfaces and servo mounts. It has a stout landing gear and that's a big plus in my book. The only problem I had during assembly was that the spinner back plate hole was too small for the supplied prop adapter so I had to drill it out to make it fit.

After only one flight it's easy to tell this plane is begging for hop ups. Next, I'm going to try a larger prop. It comes with a 9x6SF and I've got a 10x7SF to try out. If it pulls too much current or if there's too much torque I might have to try another smaller prop. Or, I might drop in a larger motor and ESC. That's on the to do list anyway.

I've got a feeling the GPSS Rx-R is going to get quite a lot of air time in the very near future...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; May 23, 2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old May 24, 2011, 03:00 PM
Joined Aug 2010
66 Posts
awsome insight into this parkflyer thank you.there is five of us so far that are gonna maiden and pylon race these birds this weekend.ill report on how it goes later
Old May 25, 2011, 09:26 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast540 View Post
awsome insight into this parkflyer thank you.
Thanks fast540. I enjoy sharing the RC experience with other enthusiasts.

Quote:
there is five of us so far that are gonna maiden and pylon race these birds this weekend.ill report on how it goes later
Sounds like it's going to be a great time. Lookin' forward to your report of how it all goes down, no pun intended...
Old May 30, 2011, 01:00 AM
Joined Aug 2010
66 Posts
we had the group maiden today.this the perfect plane for entry level spec racing
Old May 30, 2011, 09:17 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
532 Posts
First Impressions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast540 View Post
we had the group maiden today.this the perfect plane for entry level spec racing
I'm curious as to how you and the others set your GPSS Rx-R's up for the first flight. Did you fly 'em stock, or otherwise?

What did you think? Good flying entry-level sport plane that could use some performance enhancements to make it even more capable?
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:36 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Mine finally showed up today. Yeah!!!

Need to get an adaptor for the ESC to Deans plug, though, before i can finish her.

She sure went together easily.

Has anyone tried to fly this plane off grass with the stock wheels yet - they look like the might be OK - but not sure

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Last edited by wolfewinde; Jun 01, 2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 08:49 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well I had some bigger wheels so I just went ahead and put them on. Receiver is in, so I just need that adapter to be ready to go.

Weather is not looking real good for the next two days though.

Wolofe
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:27 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
532 Posts
ESC Connector Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Well I had some bigger wheels so I just went ahead and put them on.
Depending on the grass height the stock wheels should work but not if it's too tall or bumpy.

Quote:
Receiver is in, so I just need that adapter to be ready to go.

Wolofe
I ditched the stock GP connector in favor of a Deans. I cut it off and soldered on a male Deans since I use these on all my Parkflyers and other planes that use 3S Lipos and under.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 02:59 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
New 40" Foam Super Sportster Rocks!

I've been flying about 3 months and this is my 6th plane.
I performed my first Real rolls today on my maiden flight.
Really like this plane. It's quite fast to me.
I too had to hand twist a drill bit throught the spinner backing plate to get it over the adapter shoulder.
Had to reset the linkages for both ele. and rud.
Running 2200 3s no problem. Soldered in XT60 ESC connector.
Suggested Cg is spot on.
Hand launching no trouble with gear off.
VERY concerned however about the ail. servos and linkages hanging down way too much. Half of each servo is sticking down out of the wing. No problem today with 2 landings. Just coasted in to land, no big deal.
Don't know what to do to get those honkers covered up???
None of my Composite covers will help this.

It's a quick and responsive plane and my new favorite.
Had a lot of fun.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Last edited by IFlyRCs; Jun 03, 2011 at 03:01 AM. Reason: more info
Old Jun 03, 2011, 08:17 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Mine is ready to go.

I also ditched the stock connector in favor of Deans - all of my batteries are Deans

Grats on the successful Maiden IFly. Pretty exciting to get to start doing some aerobatics. This should be a good plane for you.

BUT - if you are flying off grass and belly landing you will rip those servos out or damage them before long. You might try a foam or balsa wedge glued to the wing just in front of the servos. or a plastic tail skid in front of the servos. Personally, I would go tail skid. You need to do something soon tho.

I fly off short grass too - but I just put 3" wheels on mine.

I am going to try 1300 mah 3s lipos - mostly because I have 6 of them and I use the bigger batteries in other planes - and I want to keep this one as light as possible. Maiden for me should be in the morning unless something unforseen comes up. Winds are supposd to be just under 10 mps.

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Jun 03, 2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 10:57 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well I got to maiden this one today. Winds were about 10 mph and she was very tail heavy. I didn't even try to trim her - just brought her around with varying amounts of down elevator and put her back on the ground to make some adjustments. Was just happy to get her down in one piece - wasn't sure I was going to able to do that.

Second flight was much better. She is a pretty smooth flyer. Took it pretty easy, just some figure eights and a few loops, rolls and inverted passes at medium speeds. I don't ever really push an airplane too hard at first.

Looking forward to flying this one some more - she will probably be my new "GO TO" airplane until I get my skills back up.

The 1300 mah batteries worked fine once a made a couple adjustments and got the CG worked out.

Wolfe
Old Jun 05, 2011, 08:58 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Thanks Wolfe for the servo cover ideas.

Any idea what motor is in this plane?
Think I have a bearing noise. It's pretty bad.
It's not good just spinning slow by hand.

Just balanced the backing plate and prop but not out too much.
The spinner is not very centered though. It has a gap on one screw side but not the other so I can see some wiggle in it.

Watts seem to settle in around the 170 area. Started out at 189.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 11:28 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I am guessing it is about a 400 sized motor. Anything betwwen 150 and 200 watts should fly this plane fine.

Take off that spinner if you can't get it to center properly, it will ruin any motor the way you said it is now.

Wolfe
Old Jun 08, 2011, 05:16 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Motor uses an odd 3 leg mount that attaches to the rear shaft bearing and no luck at LHS.
Am contacting Great Planes support for availability at this time.

UPDATE: Great Planes is sending out a motor and spinner.
Happy with that :>)
Last edited by IFlyRCs; Jun 09, 2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Update