HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:44 AM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka_99 View Post
You are making me drool bout that t-28. Does that nitroplanes one come from fms too, like a lot of their other planes?
Yep, the new 800mm is made by Airfield/FMS. Its nice looking and BIG compared to the others... lots of room for larger batts... Just by watching the video I bet you could get a 2S 1600mah or larger in it.
Viper82 is offline Find More Posts by Viper82
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:53 AM
Callsign: Zulu
Somewhere in the skies!
Joined Feb 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper82 View Post
Yep, the new 800mm is made by Airfield/FMS. Its nice looking and BIG compared to the others... lots of room for larger batts... Just by watching the video I bet you could get a 2S 1600mah or larger in it.
Really interesting. I'll wait for some reviews. The PZ T-28 seems to fly great on clearview, what would you take, the 800mm corsair or the 800mm trojan?
Stuka_99 is offline Find More Posts by Stuka_99
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:54 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Just got tracking from NP; my 800mm T-28 is due here Friday afternoon.
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:56 AM
Somewhere in the skies!
Joined Feb 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Just got tracking from NP; my 800mm T-28 is due here Friday afternoon.
So you will be my guinea pig! Just k/d! Anyways, keep us posted as how well she flies. I'm lost as to what to buy for my real personal 4 channel! I already flew a couple, but having it for yourself is another story!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:58 AM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Quote:
Really interesting. I'll wait for some reviews. The PZ T-28 seems to fly great on clearview, what would you take, the 800mm corsair or the 800mm trojan?
I personally like the T-28 better than the F4U.

I got the P-47 tho, should be here friday too. I plan to fly it to FL. and shoot down Macs new T-28 with my 8 .50 Cals
Viper82 is offline Find More Posts by Viper82
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:47 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
I personally like the T-28 better than the F4U.

I got the P-47 tho, should be here friday too. I plan to fly it to FL. and shoot down Macs new T-28 with my 8 .50 Cals
Hey! Mine's just a trainer plane! It has no weaponry.
If I see a P-47 coming in on my new T-28, I'll have no choice but to go Kamikaze on it!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:57 AM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
There were plenty of armed T-28 Trojans used by militaries all over the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_T-28_Trojan
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:03 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helibard View Post
Well Blue, my wife said Happy Anniversary today and told me to go pick up the T-28, cant wait to get it home. 20mph winds here in KY today so no flyin. Need some calm days here for some fun. This spring has been terrible with the wind.
Welcome to the RC flyers 12 step program Jim!
We are lucky men to have wives who understand our little addiction.
I got my T-28 UM on Saturday and still haven't maiden it yet, so you might beat me to it. I did get my 120SR fixed last night and flew it twice this AM with great success (finally)!!!!! Hows your LHS? I found a really great one that's almost all flying oriented. We need to get Mac & Brad in on a T-28 dog fight
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:14 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post

Thanks for that Wiki-link. It had some awesome information and photos too.

Here's a few others I saw in Lakeland FL at the Sun n' Fun Air Show:
Last edited by MaladroitFL; Apr 19, 2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:26 PM
Tip stallin around town..
USA, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Nov 2010
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post

that's a cool article on the trojan..i had no ideal it was used by so many countries for so many different reasons...what a sweet aircraft..well guy's as i said before i put my old 4site motor back in my champ and lastnite i decided to go out and squeeze the last bit of life out of it..it was calm and it actually had descent power for a couple low and slows..UNTIL,,, a good solid kiss to a basketball hoop backboard..i couldn't believe it!!!! snapped the nose rite off new champ..both top and bottom fuse parts broke..i almost cried..so i brought her home and luckily everything was a clean break so i was able to glue it all back together..i obtained a bunch of acrylic paint of all colors yesterday from a friend..i was able to mix up some yellow and orange for an exact match on the paint.after i fixed her i touched her up everywhere and now you can't even see the seams where it broke and she really looks like a new champ other than some minor dents here and there..i also painted the nose cone red and put some cool white stripes on the prop.i think she was upset that i was flying her with a bum motor and decided to auto-pilot into the bb hoop to get back at me..i swear my champ is alive so now she sits on the shelf all pretty and proud just waiting for a new motor.i really thought she was all done lastnite..but once again i was able to fix her and make her look better than before the crash..this plane is amazing..
brad copter is offline Find More Posts by brad copter
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:45 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad copter View Post
..i also painted the nose cone red and put some cool white stripes on the prop.i think she was upset that i was flying her with a bum motor and decided to auto-pilot into the bb hoop to get back at me..i swear my champ is alive so now she sits on the shelf all pretty and proud just waiting for a new motor.i really thought she was all done lastnite..but once again i was able to fix her and make her look better than before the crash..this plane is amazing..
Brad-c,
we all know they're alive and aware of how we treat 'em. Just like a classic car.

This morning I decided to attempt to video some Champ and T-28 take-offs. I had the camera set on a new tripod that I stole off my wife's telescope (ha ha).

I shot the Champ doing an ROG, then decided that the shot was too tight to get any Champ action shots, so i turned to shut-off the cam and when I turned back, the Champ was dive bombing from about 30 feet and SPLAT!
She hit the grass dead-on. I ran over (why do we always RUN to our planes after a crash? It's not like they're bleeding...LOL)
Anyway, it looked fine, but when I re-attached the battery, the elevator servo was whining loudly. And it wasn't working the elevator.

I got home and cut her open to find a 1/4 pie slice of nylon gear missing off the servo!!!
Now I have not one, but TWO Champs down with busted elevator servos.

My LHS has them for $9.99 each. Seems a little steep but I can't seem to find them for less.
Also, I am dreading the attempt to solder these servos into place. It's gonna be a bad train wreck. I wonder if I can get my LHS guy to do it? He's got the holder clamps and giant magnifying lens too.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:48 PM
Somewhere in the skies!
Joined Feb 2011
565 Posts
Sorry for your champ woes. Take it like this, since you have 2 now, why not cannibalize one to fix the other?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:56 PM
Tip stallin around town..
USA, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Nov 2010
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Brad-c,
we all know they're alive and aware of how we treat 'em. Just like a classic car.

This morning I decided to attempt to video some Champ and T-28 take-offs. I had the camera set on a new tripod that I stole off my wife's telescope (ha ha).

I shot the Champ doing an ROG, then decided that the shot was too tight to get any Champ action shots, so i turned to shut-off the cam and when I turned back, the Champ was dive bombing from about 30 feet and SPLAT!
She hit the grass dead-on. I ran over (why do we always RUN to our planes after a crash? It's not like they're bleeding...LOL)
Anyway, it looked fine, but when I re-attached the battery, the elevator servo was whining loudly. And it wasn't working the elevator.

I got home and cut her open to find a 1/4 pie slice of nylon gear missing off the servo!!!
Now I have not one, but TWO Champs down with busted elevator servos.

My LHS has them for $9.99 each. Seems a little steep but I can't seem to find them for less.
Also, I am dreading the attempt to solder these servos into place. It's gonna be a bad train wreck. I wonder if I can get my LHS guy to do it? He's got the holder clamps and giant magnifying lens too.
aawwe man that sucks!!!!!..how the heck did it break the gear?? did the motor get drivin back into it??? or was it just impact?? uggh i feel for ya bro...as far as solder idk dude, that's some pretty tricky work..i would try the lhs guy and see..he will prob throw it in for ya for like 20 bucks i would think..my guy said he would do any soldering for me if i needed it but everybodys different..too bad you couldn't just replace the gear and skip all that soldering crap..hey look at it this way: your never bored in this hobby..always something to fix..at least you have other planes to fly..good luck mac..
brad copter is offline Find More Posts by brad copter
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:57 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Sorry for your champ woes. Take it like this, since you have 2 now, why not cannibalize one to fix the other?
Stoooook!

The same part is broken in both planes, my friend.

That's okay...I can fly the T-28 until the parts get here. What torture.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:58 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Mal,

You may already know, but HH lists a Champ fuselage with electronics for less than a brick alone costs. $20 for two servos puts you halfway there. No micro-soldering worries, a spare fuse, and most important...It'll be warrantied by HH for a while if you have more trouble.

Just a thought.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump