HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Does the this hobby give you a "high" when you maiden a heli or learn somthg new?
YES, Everytime 35 87.50%
No, never 1 2.50%
Sometimes 4 10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 02, 2009, 11:03 PM
Rave heaven
Chicago surburbanite
Joined Nov 2006
5,125 Posts
Poll
School project Poll question about this hobby:) Please help me out

Hey everyone,

As some of you know already, im a junior high school student. I got the opportunity to write a research essay of my choice and I've decided to do the topic of "Hobbies help you reduce stress".

Now, In a part of my paper, i would like to state that everytime i maiden a new heli or learn a new trick, I get a "natural high" or a rush of adreline that lasts for hours.

Also, i talk about how finishing a new heli gives you a really good sense of satisfaction in your work. Overall, please vote and if you have comments and stuff, please post. I would love to have real heli addicts comment so i have support in my essay

-Eric
helitaiwan963 is offline Find More Posts by helitaiwan963
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2009, 11:27 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
I know what you mean

I voted "sometimes" though - because when I have a particularly difficult day or I push my abilities too much, the jump in blood pressure gives me a headache.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 03, 2009, 04:57 PM
Joined Nov 2008
6 Posts
I prefer crack, but helis do it sometimes too.
Helico is offline Find More Posts by Helico
Old Mar 03, 2009, 05:35 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1 Posts
can't beat it. the rush is there every time
tick77 is offline Find More Posts by tick77
Old Mar 03, 2009, 05:43 PM
Danger! Danger!
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,917 Posts
I had to say "no" simply because of the wording of the question. I don't get "high" by flying my helis. It's not like smoking pot, shooting heroin or snorting cocaine. However, I do find flying helicopters relaxing, even when pushing my heli though hard 3D. The reason why is because I cannot think of anything else when flying my helis. The worries about bills, car trouble, relationship issues, etc. go by the way side and all I focus on is my heli.

So, does it relax me when I fly? Yes. Am I excited with I try something new? Yes. Am I "high" when I fly? No.

-Frank
FrankW is offline Find More Posts by FrankW
Old Mar 03, 2009, 10:21 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
So it's right on with what the OP was asking - his paper is about reducing stress. For me, honestly it stresses me out sometimes, but that's the sign that I played a little too hard.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 10, 2009, 09:20 AM
Rave heaven
Chicago surburbanite
Joined Nov 2006
5,125 Posts
Thanks for all your imput guys. I meant like an adreniline rush. haha.

-Eric
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:28 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,384 Posts
You're telling us, Frank, that you know what smoking pot, shooting heroin or snorting cocaine is like? Not that there's anything wrong with that. But you left out crack, LSD, and MDMA.

I'm in a gloomy situation. Lost career, lost home, lost retirement. Flying, trimming, fixing, I can forget about that. And flying, often as not, there's something that brings on a spontaneous giggle. Can be of self-satisfaction when I do something I didn't think I could, or even a spectacular crash and you just gotta laugh and pick up the pieces.

OK, sometimes I cuss too. Like 'why did I do THAT?' or 'why did they make these dam screws so small and put them in from the bottom?'.

But it's pretty readily apparent that the hobby/sport is engaging, distracting, focusing, uplifting (pun). Why else would someone spend an hour a day trying to fly a 2-ft craft in a 7-ft space, just to see if it can be done?
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Mar 10, 2009, 01:14 PM
Reading, UK
Joined Sep 2007
6,371 Posts
Every time . What makes this hobby great, haha!

It's also enjoyable working with them.

It's a little expensive but doesn't really worry me I wouldn't do anything else. (well other than computers)
LaurenceGough is offline Find More Posts by LaurenceGough
Old Mar 10, 2009, 03:55 PM
My other heli is a Vapor
Houston, TX
Joined Dec 2007
983 Posts
I don't know if it lasts for hours, but the first time I do something difficult with a heli I definitely get a rush (highly elevated heart rate, adrenaline). Though the physical effects are not persistent, I often reflect on the accomplishment and tell others about it hours or even days later. RC helicopters are an excellent way for me to unwind and stop thinking about work or other issues.

I recently hovered my helicopter completely through FPV (first person view). I wore a heart rate monitor that I usually wear for running. My heart rate went from about 85 beats per minute to a peak of over 140 beats per minute during the approximately 6-minute flight. The amount of concentration required to fly these models is staggering, and does not leave room for ancillary thoughts about other subjects.

Good luck on your paper
eander315 is offline Find More Posts by eander315
Old Mar 10, 2009, 04:08 PM
Rave heaven
Chicago surburbanite
Joined Nov 2006
5,125 Posts
Thanks guys! THis is gonna be fun having quotes from real people in the hobby and not just stuff outta my mouth

Thanks
-Eric
Old Mar 11, 2009, 02:23 PM
Joined Jun 2006
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankW
I had to say "no" simply because of the wording of the question. I don't get "high" by flying my helis. It's not like smoking pot, shooting heroin or snorting cocaine. However, I do find flying helicopters relaxing, even when pushing my heli though hard 3D. The reason why is because I cannot think of anything else when flying my helis. The worries about bills, car trouble, relationship issues, etc. go by the way side and all I focus on is my heli.

So, does it relax me when I fly? Yes. Am I excited with I try something new? Yes. Am I "high" when I fly? No.

-Frank
I loved flying full scale planes for this very reason. Nothing else mattered while flying but that got way too expensive so I switched to models. I still get the same "focus" when i fly so the worries of life and such just fade away. Helicopters started stressfull but now that I've progressed, it is very relaxing.
garlonbs is offline Find More Posts by garlonbs
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:51 PM
Victim of Gravity
Cary, NC
Joined Sep 2001
814 Posts
For me, one of my favorite parts is watching & listening as the heli spools up for the first time. I actually set the ESC on the slowest startup setting for that reason. It builds anticipation.

Then there are the first few minutes where there's a little part of my brain that's afraid that I might have forgotten how to fly since last weekend.

And there's a lot of time where it's sort of a Zen experience, and I forget that I'm holding a radio. The heli just kinda does what I want.

Then there's the moment or two when I try something new, and I accidentally remember that I am, in fact, holding a radio. Then I think too much about how to move my fingers to maneuver the heli the way I want, and my heartrate jumps while I panic about the fact that I don't remember how to move my fingers. Which stick is for cyclic? Then my brain revokes control of my fingers from my conscious mind, and brings the heli back to a hover from whatever odd orientation it was in.

Then there's the adrenaline rush associated with that fight-or-flight (crash-or-flight?) response. The resulting elevated pulse and respiration rates decline slowly over the next while as I fly within my normal repertoire.

Wow. Now I really feel like flying.

KC
K.C. is offline Find More Posts by K.C.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 12:30 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,384 Posts
I giggle and relax flying V4. I sweat and lean trying to fly HBFP, cuz I haven't learned yet. 6 months from now I might be giggling and relaxing flying HB, and sweating trying a CP.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab