Old May 13, 2001, 03:11 PM
myspace.com/graehl
Joined Mar 2001
403 Posts
you must like to fly real slow
i can't seem to keep my left finger from jamming that stick up
i only got 8 minutes on a 1700AU
and only 3 minutes on 600AEs

would like to know if you have the patience to fly a plane so slow for thirty minutes

don't you have the urge to take it to it's limits and fly fast

hope you hit that 30 minute mark
Kevin Graehl is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Graehl
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2001, 03:22 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Traitor!!!!!!!!!!!
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old May 13, 2001, 03:53 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,498 Posts
Larry,

Your patience is extraordinary!

A whole flight at half throttle? I couldn't wait to shove the go-stick forward and see what happened - all the slow flying stuff came much later!

I think you may have upset tic though....

tim

[This message has been edited by tim hooper (edited 05-13-2001).]
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old May 13, 2001, 07:42 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,498 Posts
I probably could have flown it for another minute or so but my right thumb was getting numb from the 37 F air temp (no gloves). Plus I had to take a whiz and I was starting to do the I-gotta-go two step.

The next few flights I will start to up the speed a little as I never did a proper motor break-in.

All in all I'm pleased with the ZAGI X.

To Tic...

I know, I know, I am so ashamed of myself. After bashing ZAGI's as much as I have, even getting threatened with a punch in the nose, I figured I was the last person to fly a ZAGI. I'm telling ya, it's that damned candy. Just makes normally sane, responsible people lose all self respect and do whacky things. I wonder if there is a 12 step program somewhere?
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old May 13, 2001, 07:59 PM
p471701
n/a Posts
Tic...

I know, I know, I am so ashamed of myself. After bashing ZAGI's as much as I have, even getting threatened with a punch in the nose, I figured I was the last person to fly a ZAGI. I'm telling ya, it's that damned candy. Just makes normally sane, responsible people lose all self respect and do whacky things. I wonder if there is a 12 step program somewhere?[/B][/QUOTE]

new flash:the candies wore off:for sale 1 zagi free come and get it.i really want an edf. (it was only a dream)hehe..........gregg
Old May 13, 2001, 09:43 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
37F... Wow! Next week, it should be 37C down here. Were you flying first thing in the morning?
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old May 14, 2001, 12:42 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,498 Posts
True confession

After 6 months of ZAGI bashing I finally gave in. I actually bought a ZAGI X and a mixer. I built it exactly per the instructions.

This morning, at 0630 hrs, I attempted to fly it. Again, I followed the instructions and launched without power. 1st launch was a short glide into the grass. I removed the quarter I had taped to the nose and launched again, resulting in 30 feet of flat, gentle glide. Tried that two more times with the same results.

Launch no. 5, nice gentle trajectory, eased the throttle forward. The ZAGI X started to climb, a veer to the right, over corrected to the left, managed to get settled down, started to gain some altitude.

Flying at half throttle, lazy circles, figure 8's, nothing fancy. Required most of the up-trim to keep it level. sixteen minutes later I brought it down, the ZAGI sliding to a stop 15 feet in front of me. The battery was only warm. Still some capacity, the BEC did not kick in.

Tonight I will increase the reflex angle by one rotation of the clevis's (clevi?). Try it again in the morning.

If nothing else this was definitely the longest, single flight I have ever had. As the battery cycles, the duration will increase, the LHS claiming 30 minutes. Well see.

Either this ZAGI X flies well or its the candy.
Old May 14, 2001, 07:18 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,498 Posts
My preferred flying time is just after sunrise, as the wind is non-existant.

This morning was just perfect, no wind, blue skies, a bit warmer - perhaps 40 F.

Usually by 0730 or so, the winds have started, making flying a bit dicey for me.
Old May 14, 2001, 11:50 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,066 Posts
My "hat's off" to Larry.

Just so the balance of Yin-Yang is kept, I countered your Zagi purchase with a .40 size IC aerobatic plane which i'll electrify, of course.
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old May 14, 2001, 01:14 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,575 Posts
Larry, I still cannot bring myself to cover a model with packing tape, but I did slip a little ways over to the dark side and get a Combat Pico Jet the other day....

Should be fun to knock around with.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old May 14, 2001, 04:17 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,498 Posts
Thomas B,

From 100 feet high, 30 MPH, I can't tell the difference between packing tape and ULTRACOAT.

This is another side effect of that damn ZAGI candy. Even a packing tape cover job looks good. Now I know I have a Bi-Polar disorder.
Old May 14, 2001, 05:46 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
You should have said it was a "gift".. anytime anyone gives me a hard time about something I own.. I say it was a gift
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old May 14, 2001, 07:42 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,575 Posts
Good point about not being able to see the packing tape in flight, Larry. BUT, sitting in the shop, the packing tape would forever silently bug me...
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old May 15, 2001, 07:13 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,498 Posts
This morning I committed an act of aviation with my ZAGI X. Flight #3, 16 minutes in duration.

Blue sky, sun just over the tree line, dewey grass. Chased a few gulls, ruffled the feathers of the resident Canadian Geese, did a couple of inside loops, just generally screwed around.

I can imagine what the geese and the gulls are thinking.

"Oh great, here comes that A** H*** with the friggin' red thingy. I bet he's on drugs or somethin'"

How did they know about the ZAGI candy?