HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:37 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
591 Posts
Discussion
I Need New Wings! Whats your favorite and why?

Today I stuffed my favorite glider straight into mother earth. Ouch! I built my Spirit Elite from a kit back in 2009 and frankly I was hoping to get more years out of it. I think the right aileron linkage failed at about 50 to 70 ft and cause it to roll over into a death spiral and spun in faster than I could respond.

Well I'm not over it yet but I might as well start looking for the next one.

My requirements are 2+ meters, ailerons, elevator, rudder, flaps, hopefully V-tail and the ability to go motorized or highstart. Being structurally able to highstart is a must. I am open to extra goodies like spoilers and such but not necesarily needed. I really want to go as light as possible too. (dont we all? lol) I can do a another kit or an ARF will work too. Lets hear your suggestions!
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:48 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,894 Posts
I suuure wish R2hobbies made the Passer in a 2.5 meter

Sorry for your loss. Some people prefer to build than fly, maybe hook up with them for repairs?
cityevader is offline Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:07 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,640 Posts
If you want to build, here's a good one!

http://www.vintagesailplaner.com/SmoothGeniePro.html
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:53 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,894 Posts
That's purty! I like lawn-dart noses ever since my old Dynaflite Talon.
cityevader is offline Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:37 AM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
Chrysalis - 2 meter. Has a V-tail option.
http://www.djaerotech.com/dj_product/chrysalis2m-e.html
GliderJim is offline Find More Posts by GliderJim
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:41 AM
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,607 Posts
Take a look at this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1824388

Arthobby Termik 2,5

You can get it with V tail and ailerons.
And do the flaps yourself.
Fantastic gilder.

My Termik 2,5 tread with all my videos, realy show the potientiale that this glider has:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1662605

S
SpeedsterDEN is online now Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:03 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
It is pretty hard to go wrong with any of the "Bird series" offerings from Ray at Skybench. Comes in all sizes and all are great flying planes.

http://www.skybench.com/index.html?h....com/home.html

With spans ranging fro 60 inches up to 132 inches you should be able to find one that fits you "just right".
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:35 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
591 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the great suggestions guys. I'm getting excited about my next glider already. Decisions decisions....
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:55 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
936 Posts
Dang! Double Dang!

That's still a great looking plane, just in a sub-optimal configuration at the moment. I had something kinda, sorta the same result but different cause happen with my 2M modified "standard" Spirit and it's been fixed and flying just as good as ever.

There's always more internal damage than what pictures show but I really think that plane's a fixer/keeper.

One thing I would recommend that worked REALLY nicely for my 2M Spirit, and now you have a good opportunity, rebuild your fusalage LONGER by splicing in wood sections and add AT LEAST 2" more tail moment (and add 1" more nose moment to counter balance things). You'll notice that it will fly a whole lot smoother, steadier, CG can be farther back(especially if you reduce your incidence at the same time) and signal thermals even better, you'll probably be able to fly a little faster and a little slower - more speed range.

That's my 2-cents - Paul
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:40 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
591 Posts
Paul... your advise is dead on. I have already thought of rebuilding her. We have had so many good memories together and the worse part of crashing her, was the feeling that all that fun ended with one swift crunch. Kind of like divorcing a hot wife. But with one BIG difference. The Spirit is still mine and with some balsa, glue, sanding, monokote and some TLC, all can be good again. I may even upgrade the fuse to FG and make it lighter. Until I get the urge to take it out of the bag that I carried it home in, I want to find another sailplane. Besides all the thermal lessons I've learned with this plane, I have also learned to have a backup sailplane during times like this.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:04 AM
Long Island, New York
Joined Mar 2002
272 Posts
I'm always for rebuilding a crashed model. If you built it, you can repair it, if you have enough determination. It's always good to have at least a few flight ready models so that if one is grounded for repairs you still have others to fly.

Pete
petefly58 is offline Find More Posts by petefly58
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:18 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
535 Posts
If you don't mind building and aren't hooked on ailerons, a very unique bird is the Mirage, Isthmusmodels.com, $145.

It is a three meter RES bird that can be built with electric motor and still keep the weight less than 40 oz. Non-electric can be around 33 oz.

Has decent wind penetration for such a light bird.

Very gentle, maneuverable, excellent thermalling bird. Quality kit and a fun build.

Craig
craigrrr is offline Find More Posts by craigrrr
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:35 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,109 Posts
with ailerons:
-I've seen a couple of people who were pretty happy with the JK Thermik 2.5. I'm sure adding flaps would be easy. While it should withstand a high start with no trouble, if you have a heavy foot on the winch you might want to strengthen the wing near the center.

-If it's not too expensive for you, the Supra in some form or other flies VERY well.

-I think the Topaz is supposed to be nice, haven't flown one for more than a minute, and that one was poly. Not enough poly at that.
--------------------
without ailerons:
-I suspect the Chrysalis is very nice. (I suspect this sufficiently that I have one underway. So far I like the kit.)
-Ava amazingly good flying, at least with the original Ava. Thermals very well, nice handling, cheaper than a Supra.
--------
Someone should do one of Terry Edmund's designs but use a fast Drela foil. Io is the two meter, I think Callisto is 2.5, and Europa, I think, is F3B version. Appeared in Model Aviation and I'm sure AMA has plans.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:02 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterDEN View Post
Take a look at this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1824388

Arthobby Termik 2,5

You can get it with V tail and ailerons.
And do the flaps yourself.
Fantastic gilder.

My Termik 2,5 tread with all my videos, realy show the potientiale that this glider has:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1662605

S
Speedster... thank you for your recommendation. I've decided to get the Thermic with V-tail.

http://www.arthobby.com/index.php?pa...ry=32&item=223

After watching your videos, I was really impressed by the video that you launched with a highstart and then DS'd behind a row of trees. I live on mostly flat land so thermaling ability is a must have and I think I will get plenty of that with the Thermic. What highstart are you using? How much height are you getting with it? Do you know how much weight you are pulling to get a good launch?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:40 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,501 Posts
RCBlackSheep,

I picked up an Art Hobby Thermic last year and I really like it. Mine is a poly wing RE setup. I launched it last summer using a 2 meter standard Dynaflight histart, probably one of the weakest hi-starts out there, and it launched just fine. I would pull back to roughly 10 lbs, I used a fish scale for this, and let her rip. Remember that the Thermic weight is close to some 2 meter planes so a really strong hi-start is not required. The launches were controlled and gentle. Now with that being said, my preference is to launch it using my OneWinch. The OneWinch gives outstanding launches for the Thermic but that is another conversation for another time.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence