HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Oct 2012
125 Posts
Discussion
looking for some hepl

I am in the process of designing two size sailplanes fro long duration flights.

I want to know what motor, battery and ESC to use for this flight concept.

One plane is a 2 meter all composite plane and I would like more than 1 hour flight time 1 1/2 is better.

The plane is using an SD airfoil and will weigh about 4 to 5 lbs.

The second plane I would like 3 to 4 hours flight time. Using the same airfoil and a flight weight of about 6 to 8 lbs and a wingspan of 100 to 130".

I have enough battery space for what ever batteries I need if I do not exceed my weight requirement.

Any help will be appreciated
jetfolks is offline Find More Posts by jetfolks
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:33 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,958 Posts
As a general rule, the smallest kv, biggest prop you can afford.
But this will give you only propulsion efficiency, not automatically longer flights, the later depends more on your pilot skills to find thermals.
Also, you should look at lighter planes, 4-5lbs at 2 meters is not a floater.
Think to 4 lbs for three meters, like a Bird of Time, as a minimum.
Check Fascination and Grafas from TopModel, sold by EspritModels, the two planes used by the actual FPV distance record holder, with 110+110km and 6 hours flight time.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa