HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:56 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Question
I need to know what type of glide is this

I picked this up at a local hobby shop but no one seems to know what type of Glider this is..I know it's like 3.3m..It's like 130" Wing Span and it has a Cox TD 09 Motor attached to a Pod. it's a T Tail elevator..That's all i know....Hobby shop suggested it might be a Schweizer glider of some sort but i'm trying to get the exact name so i can look it up on youtube to see someone fly it.
btw, i put those stickers on the canopy temporary so ignore that....lol..
Thanks for your Help. i wanna put an electric motor on it and sell the TD 09 motor...
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Last edited by rhampton; Nov 23, 2012 at 02:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,861 Posts
This is a guess but it looks like it started as a Soarcraft Glasflugel 604 and was modified from there for polyhedral. The second guess is a modified WIK Kestrel it is had to tell from the photos... After looking at the wing structure I am leaning towards the WIK Kestrel. Could you check the wing joiner wires and see if they are english or metric?? LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:57 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
This is a guess but it looks like it started as a Soarcraft Glasflugel 604 and was modified from there for polyhedral. The second guess is a modified WIK Kestrel it is had to tell from the photos... After looking at the wing structure I am leaning towards the WIK Kestrel. Could you check the wing joiner wires and see if they are english or metric?? LJ
Here's a better photo and i'm not sure of the joiner wires....what do you mean by that...i also believe your 1st is correct i did a image search on google and see a similar glider....i posted this same question in another forum so your guess maybe correct on that Soarcraft glasfugel 604...
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:02 PM
Hamilton, CANADA
Joined Sep 2009
339 Posts
Had a WIK Kestrel in a bygone era, recalled it was not a big span ship.

Just found Wik Kestrel at 112 ", and the 604 at 144 "
Still a conundrum tho,... the bent tips may indicate a modded 604,
or a lengthened Kestrel.. ??

..But per LJ, definitely one or the other.. ;-}

Ray
Upvector is offline Find More Posts by Upvector
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:04 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upvector View Post
Had a WIK Kestrel in a bygone era, recalled it was not a big span ship.

Just found Wik Kestrel at 112 ", and the 604 at 144 "
Still a conundrum tho,... the bent tips may indicate a modded 604,
or a lengthened Kestrel.. ??

..But per LJ, definitely one or the other.. ;-}

Ray
I actually converted to this Electric..i took the Cox Motor off and put a brushless motor with a Folding Prop..Flies nice...Didnt realize how much the Wings Fold while Flying..Kinda looks funny...here's a video clip..

well for those that are interested, i converted this to electric and took the Nitro pod off. Going to sell it the Cox TD09 Nitro Engine with Pd..
here's a small video clip of the electric conversion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...;v=2KNwTIAqJXA
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Apr 2004
101 Posts
That's a Soarcraft Kestrel. Span isn't quite right though... would be stock at 134.5". Maybe it lost a few inches during the dihedral mod - who knows...

Note how the back edge of the canopy curves over the wing. Glasflugel 604 doesn't do this (and is 144").
apage is offline Find More Posts by apage
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:01 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apage View Post
That's a Soarcraft Kestrel. Span isn't quite right though... would be stock at 134.5". Maybe it lost a few inches during the dihedral mod - who knows...

Note how the back edge of the canopy curves over the wing. Glasflugel 604 doesn't do this (and is 144").
before i go and modify my Youtube description, are you absolutely sure this is the Kestrel and not the glasfugel? can u send me a photo or a link to the kestrel so i can be sure?i did a video and already uploaded it thinking it was the glasfugel 604...i just want to be sure..

Thanks
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Apr 2004
101 Posts
Kestrel:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4734263

Glasflugel 604:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4786164

Of course, there's always the chance that it's scratch built or some other Kestrel kit I'm not aware of. You might be able to verify it by looking at the hardware or other details.
Last edited by apage; Nov 24, 2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Apr 2004
101 Posts
I suppose it could just as easily be the WIK Kestrel with added wing panels like Larry said. Fuselage length and stab span would determine it for sure.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:38 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apage View Post
I suppose it could just as easily be the WIK Kestrel with added wing panels like Larry said. Fuselage length and stab span would determine it for sure.
i actually measured the Wings and it seems as tho it is like 136"sh so u may be right. i adjusted my youtube ad to Show soarcraft kestrel...Wow,,u know your stuff....only thing i dont like about this glider is that it looks funny in the air...Wings Fold upward too much...why is that...i thought the wings were going to be Flat perpendicular to the Fuse..
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:07 AM
Hamilton, CANADA
Joined Sep 2009
339 Posts
@rhampton..
apage has a point about the canopy shape, I've seen both full scale at our soaring club.

So just to confuse the issue...:
http://www.tscharland.com/Glider/Kestrel_1.jpg,
which the owner calls a Kestrel...??.. has a canopy a la 604. ..!!
I'm only interested as the Kestrel 19 was one of my favourite ships.
Good luck with the sale.
Ray
Upvector is offline Find More Posts by Upvector
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:22 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Oh thanks buddy....i appreciate...i may end up keeping it...never had a glider this big before..im sure if i fly it a few more times,
i would probay keep it....
Closed Thread