SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

Flyzone Calypso Flap Option Review

Flyzone Calypso Flap Option Review

Splash

Introduction

Having flown the original Flyzone Calypso without flaps, I could not wait to get the kit to add flaps. Flaps slow flight and increase lift. The two go hand-in-hand: When slowing down for final approach, you also want to decrease stall speed. In other words, slowing down too much will indeed induce a stall, but with flaps and the lift they generate, one can get slower and steeper on approach than without flaps.

What I found with the Calypso was it does not want to quit flying, especially into strong winds. I experienced approach after approach with longer and longer final distances to finally get the bird down on windy days. Into the wind it will literally hover and can land without flaps in a strong wind at almost zero rollout. But not all landings will be in a stiff wind and when flying on clam days the lift and approach control generated by the flaps is appreciated.

MSRP$ 2.25 (FLZA6008)

Installation

The install takes about an hour, but requires:

Kit Includes

• Two Control Arms
  • Two linkages
  • Two Clevis
  • Two Clevis secure screws

Kit Requires

• Two micro-servos
  • Hot glue, canopy glue or Shoe Goo
  • Two 6-12 inch servo extensions
  • One servo lead splitter
  • Sharp Excel Hobby knife
  • String or other way to grab servo leads within the wing

Start by removing the 1/8 of foam between the interior flaps and the ailerons. Use a straight edge and a very sharp blade to cleanly cut through the material.

The servos must be installed correctly and are both facing the same direction. Take the time to lay them out and make sure they are moving as needed. The placement of the servos is identified on the foam, so there is really no way to place them wrong.

Cut into the foam deep enough so the small piece of foam can be easily removed. You will now have access to two open channels inside the wing. MAKE SURE YOU USE THE SQUARE CHANNEL TO PLACE YOUR SERVO LEAD. Otherwise, you are using the spar channel. Take either a string with a weight or bend the tip of a piece of linkage and slip it up the channel and grab the servo lead. You will have to connect the extension at the wing root and slide it back into the wing as the servo lead can barely turn the corner into the channel and a connected lead will not make the turn.

The control horns are glued in place and I used hot glue. The Aerocell foam handles the heat fine. It is also removable. The linkages required some adjustment, but were perfectly designed for this installation.

Final setup

I used my trusty Futaba 9cap Super because I like to dial in my flaps. The Tactic TTX404 radio included in the RTF version is a four-channel radio. My setup used the Anylink SLT TX. I used channel 5 on the Tactic TR624 Rx and programmed that channel to the dial I wanted to use. The Tactic Rx is ready to go for the flap option.

Once in place the flaps operate at the maximum suggested movement of 7/8 or 22mm. My servo choice were Futaba S3114 micro servos that work smoothly and provide plenty of torque.

Flying

With a dial, you can infinitely adjust the flaps. I rolled in about half and as one would expect the nose will come up. A little trim and you get the nose down and can quickly realize the new lift generated. You will need to roll the flaps out to climb back up unless you want to keep pushing the nose down. With full flaps the Calypso really catches the wind and even though more elevator is required to keep the nose down the drag from the elevator does not exceed the lift generated by the flaps. All good. When landing the change from a more flat approach angle to a full flap steeper approach, is exactly what the Calypso wants. With full flaps one can place the Calypso on a dime along the runway and have excellent control throughout the approach.

Downloads

Last edited by Angela H; Sep 14, 2012 at 05:36 AM..

Discussion

Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:37 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,107 Posts
Nice upgrade Dave.

I was wondering if the flaps could now be reflexed "UP" for spoilers? On a lot of high-dollar gliders, the flaps are reflexed up slightly to increase straight line speed when traveling between thermals and then deflected upward a lot to kill lift and come down quickly.

With your 9C and many other TXs, you can link the individual flap servos to ailerons and have flapperons and spoilerons. Of course you will need a different receiver with more channels so each flap servo could be plugged into a different channel.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:23 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
I actually got to see the Calypso up close this past weekend. It was surprisingly maneuverable, and looked like a lot of fun. I noticed the provision for flaps, and wondered exactly what it would take to convert it. Now I know!
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:55 PM
United States, HI, Pearl City
Joined Aug 2006
304 Posts
Anyone try making the ailerons a bit longer by cutting the flap at the fuse end, but leaving it connected to the aileron?

Scotty
wsmorton is offline Find More Posts by wsmorton
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:33 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
Lots of options I would guess. I am sure they can be reflexed. In fact, centered and with programable servos or servo extenders you could move them both ways. The conversion is quick, but like I said do not use the spar channel (as I did first) and then have to redo the whole thing. Maybe a couple of hours. Too much flap is not going to accomplish much in the way of performance. The hinges may also be only molded in for the dimensional design.

This is a really good flying powered glider that can be disassembled and stored back into the box. Not like others that have the tail glued. This keeps it nice and portable.
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:58 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
Remember that Reflex, moving the flap up, for better penetration, usually only requires a couple of degrees of movement up. Looks like this option a nice addition to the Calypso. Mike H
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,310 Posts
Hi,
Any idea how it thermals compared to the Radian?
Thanks
Ray
kostuk is offline Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:11 PM
United States, HI, Pearl City
Joined Aug 2006
304 Posts
And compared to the Easy Glider?

Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostuk View Post
Hi,
Any idea how it thermals compared to the Radian?
Thanks
Ray
wsmorton is offline Find More Posts by wsmorton
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:22 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
Seems like years ago I reviewed the Radian. That plane does not have ailerons. The Pro does. So are they different? Certainly. The Calypso can soar in thermals or slope winds. The stability is excellent and the penetration I think is getting as good as it is going to get for foam powered gliders that have to have the bulbous nose to hose electronics. I also thought it tracked better and the airframe is stronger. I cannot remember if the Radian is EPO foam. I know the company that produces this plane and they do some of the best work in China.
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Jul 2012
16 Posts
Thanks for the review, although other than thermal chasing, I'm not sure what is the point of flaps on this plane? It's a slow flying powered glider, that can be easily landed without the flaps. What function do they play in this model? Also wouldn't it be essentially the same to change the ailerons to flaperons?
IIIHorseman is offline Find More Posts by IIIHorseman
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
Hi, IIIHorseman.

The Calypso floats and floats and floats so it can be a challenge getting down in a small field and/or a field surrounded by obstacles. Flaperons can be problematic on a glider because they can lead to tip stalls so "spoilerons" are generally a better option. But? It's hard to get enough throw with the foam hinges so separate flaps can be a real advantage.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:29 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
Sli-i-i-ightly OT here but, for you guys who've flown (or seen) the Calypso at altitude? How's the visibility on that green & black color scheme?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:46 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
My friend's shows up pretty well but he will probably brighten it up a bit with some fluorescent Rustoleum when he starts finding lift and flying higher. Of course, I'm a big fan of neon orange but the green shows up well too and would look almost stock on the Calypso.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
Some paint makes a big difference, I used rustoleum neon pink and neon green

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
My friend's shows up pretty well but he will probably brighten it up a bit with some fluorescent Rustoleum when he starts finding lift and flying higher. Of course, I'm a big fan of neon orange but the green shows up well too and would look almost stock on the Calypso.
txg8gxp is offline Find More Posts by txg8gxp
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
I picked up some linkage stuff and 2 s3114 servos today for the flap mod. I have had great luck flying with different chamber setting on this plane so I can't wait to add flaps. Once they are installed I will reprogram my radio for fully adjustable reflex/chamber, flaps and crow.
txg8gxp is offline Find More Posts by txg8gxp