HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:48 AM
Flying Foamies
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Jun 2012
971 Posts
I was currently using a 7.4Ah Pb battery but would try a better power source though to fly that thing. then a longer cable

lift like a bigger HD camera and sit in the air for Hours , and hope no one accidentally pulls the plug
speedactyl is offline Find More Posts by speedactyl
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by speedactyl; Dec 01, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:03 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
As long as its tetherd to the ground you also bypass many, many regulations/laws. I don't believe there is a limit for the length of the tether.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:09 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
As long as its tetherd to the ground you also bypass many, many regulations/laws. I don't believe there is a limit for the length of the tether.
+1 Bingo. Only draw back is the weight of the tether. Most FCs with a GPS and Baro can do a fantastic job holding position and altitude these days.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
+1 Bingo. Only draw back is the weight of the tether. Most FCs with a GPS and Baro can do a fantastic job holding position and altitude these days.
Of course for the letter of the law just tether with a string and go about your AP jobwithout any legal grey areas.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:16 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
had a really windless day to try and fpv my tri at the beach where i live, shame the batts in my goggles ran out after 5 minutes, upto 40secs is fpv, the rest is LOS, couple shakes in the pids but i really like how it flies in comparison to the quads i've had,
also the first time i've ever tried to follow something.
the flips are a bit shoddy...

hanging out... (3 min 14 sec)
jimbob69 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob69
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:40 PM
Disturbed, but in a good way.
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Nov 2009
143 Posts
Heres a shot of my latest quad. Offset FC doesnt seem to affect anything. Actually it flies really nicely. 250mm between the motors. The cover is a tupperware container and when flying at night the whole thing glows. I can fly it as if it were daytime. I love it!

HK MultiWii SE V2 Running MultiWii 2.1
Turnigy 2730-1300Kv Outrunners swinging 8x4 GWS Props
15A Turnigy Plush ESC
3000mAh 3S 20c Zippy Lipo
RotoGoat is offline Find More Posts by RotoGoat
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:29 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Only took two tries at about 3 hours each ( probably can be done much quicker now that I've made all the rookie mistakes ). One repaired motor ( as well as a cut and a burn from touching the motor housing while it was spinning ).

Hopefully I can spend more time tomorrow actually flying.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:33 PM
Flying Foamies
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Jun 2012
971 Posts
Quote:
Of course for the letter of the law just tether with a string and go about your AP jobwithout any legal grey areas.
thats the funny part why? something more that a Kg flying with a tether
Is a grey area on its own.

Would an rc self power kite be any different from a quadcopter with a external power source tether.

For the least you can cut the power before it gets any where out of control
speedactyl is offline Find More Posts by speedactyl
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by speedactyl; Dec 01, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:09 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Apr 2011
385 Posts
Quote:
Only took two tries at about 3 hours each ( probably can be done much quicker now that I've made all the rookie mistakes ). One repaired motor ( as well as a cut and a burn from touching the motor housing while it was spinning ).

Hopefully I can spend more time tomorrow actually flying.
Hmm... I tried and tried and tried to rewind a motor... got better each time but still couldn't get enough turns on the motor... Pain in the butt as I remember too. Usually my money is worth more than my time, but not for this one... lol.
fallingdown is offline Find More Posts by fallingdown
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:44 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotoGoat View Post
Heres a shot of my latest quad. Offset FC doesnt seem to affect anything. Actually it flies really nicely. 250mm between the motors. The cover is a tupperware container and when flying at night the whole thing glows. I can fly it as if it were daytime. I love it!

HK MultiWii SE V2 Running MultiWii 2.1
Turnigy 2730-1300Kv Outrunners swinging 8x4 GWS Props
15A Turnigy Plush ESC
3000mAh 3S 20c Zippy Lipo
If you're not using training wheels(auto level) the placement doesn't matter too much. Nice setup
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:03 AM
Disturbed, but in a good way.
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Nov 2009
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob69 View Post
If you're not using training wheels(auto level) the placement doesn't matter too much. Nice setup
I am using "training wheels" and it still doesnt seem to make a difference. It actually flies a lot nicer than my symetrical Talon quad on auto level.
PosHold isnt working though but I havent tried to adjust PIDs for it either. Might have a go at it tomorrow though.
RotoGoat is offline Find More Posts by RotoGoat
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:56 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingdown View Post
Hmm... I tried and tried and tried to rewind a motor... got better each time but still couldn't get enough turns on the motor... Pain in the butt as I remember too. Usually my money is worth more than my time, but not for this one... lol.
Wire went on pretty easy, probably has a lot to do with the kV rating. Since this is a hobby when I can spend a few bucks and avoid spending several time that much and waiting for a consistently backordered motor (with poor QC, which is why they failed in the first place ) it's probably worth it.

It also seems like a good skill to have since everything in this hobby breaks. About the only think I can't make or repair at this point is props.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:10 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
had some fun fpv runs with my tri this morning shaky though, motor change out on monday so all good.

hacking (1 min 5 sec)
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:51 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Apr 2011
385 Posts
Quote:
It also seems like a good skill to have since everything in this hobby breaks.
Agreed! Which is why I gave it a try. But I'll try again someday... and perhaps succeed
fallingdown is offline Find More Posts by fallingdown
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingdown View Post
Agreed! Which is why I gave it a try. But I'll try again someday... and perhaps succeed
I know my match as well. Motor #2 was so mucked with superglue that I have decided that it was not worth the effort. I have one spare so I can afford to wait for another.

I am now trying to repair a dt700, might just be able to reattach the clean sever on that one without rewinding.