SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 26, 2012, 07:27 PM
Gentlemen, start your engines.
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,528 Posts
Discussion
FMS AIRFIELD MINI P51 MUSTANG + all 800mm series.

I CANT FIND A THREAD ON THIS POPULAR MUSTANG SO HERE GOES.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

VIEW HERE.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

On HK there is not a single negative review on this "Mini" Mustang.
There are many Mini Mustangs but this one is 800mm, Three axis for the price of a 650mm, Two axis.
Plus it flies exceptionally well, has very good detail, is robust and spare props are available.

If you own one, have a video, or know something about this great little Plane which is almost always sold-out please Post.

Specification:
Wingspan: 800mm
Fuselage length: 690mm
ESC: 20A
Servo: 3 x 9g
Motor: 1300kv Brushless outrunner
Propeller: 8.5 x 9 (Includes Spinner)
Battery: 7.4V 2S1P 1000mah Lipoly
ESC Plug: JST

Required:
Your TX & RX
7.4V 2S1P 1000mah Lipoly battery (youcan fly it on a 3s 1000Mah)
1 x 9gram servo (Optional)

Note: A JR style Y-Cable is included for the Aileron servos.

Have widened the scope to include the whole series.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPARES

For Aussies RC CASTLE has Spinners etc Min Freight $7.50

http://rc-castle.com/shop/index.php?...sort=2a&page=3

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For USA Bananahobby has everything and at good prices, however if you dont live in the USA the Freight can be $45 to mail a $2.50 Spinner.

http://www.bananahobby.com/electric-...9--2263--.html
skymaxy is offline Find More Posts by skymaxy
Last edited by skymaxy; Jul 08, 2012 at 02:45 AM. Reason: increase scope of Thread
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2012, 05:57 AM
Just throw it up!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2011
1,396 Posts
Yep I have it sitting in the garage in wrapping paper waiting for my birthday.

It is basically an FMS 800mm p51 sold by hobbyking.

I also used to have the blue nosed petie 2nd one which is an FMS branded one.

I agree they are great fliers and quite stable for a small plane.
Merlin Power is offline Find More Posts by Merlin Power
Old May 27, 2012, 08:58 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin Power View Post
Yep I have it sitting in the garage in wrapping paper waiting for my birthday.

It is basically an FMS 800mm p51 sold by hobbyking.

I also used to have the blue nosed petie 2nd one which is an FMS branded one.

I agree they are great fliers and quite stable for a small plane.
Hey good info, I didnt know it had FMS heritage, I needed something smaller than my other WB's to fly at a local football field. Thanks.
Old May 27, 2012, 01:42 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,124 Posts
http://www.bananahobby.com/2259.html
http://www.bananahobby.com/2263.html
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old May 27, 2012, 03:54 PM
Just throw it up!
Joined Jul 2011
1,396 Posts
Yeah the only real difference is that the hobbyking version has the 'shangrila' decals on it, rather than Ferocious Frankie or Petie 2nd, and that the hobbyking ones don't come with a rudder servo.

All the linkages are included for the rudder upgrade, so for $5 more you have a four channel plane. For $75 total, these things are a steal.

I run my 800mm planes on 1000mah 3cell batteries, as on 2cell batteries the performance was a bit underpowered for my liking.

Also, with the mustang make sure to add some weight to the nose, as they can be tail heavy in stock form. I added a AA battery up in the compartment under where the esc sits that you can see when the wings are off. It flew perfectly with that setup.

Have fun.
Old May 27, 2012, 06:27 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,528 Posts
All important info, I think your batt choice is wise as some use 1300mah 3s which sounds a bit hot to me, go buy a Rarebear if you want that sort of zoom.
Roger that, nothing worse than a Tailheavy Maiden, the Durafly 1100mm is like that too.
You are the only other person I have met that can wait for the right date to open a Birthday gift, it drives my curious wife crazy seeing a parcel sitting on the hall table for a week or more
Old May 27, 2012, 06:30 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,528 Posts
Two of these sold in Oz in the last 24 hours.
Old May 28, 2012, 04:02 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,528 Posts
Photo FMS 800mm Mini P51 and Durafly 1100mm P51

Not comparing the Two aircraft in this pic in any way except to make it easier to get the size feel of an 800mm model, which is a less common size.

Most of the "Mini's" or HK "Funfighters" are about 650mm and have only Aileron and Elevator, and smaller motors and battery capacities, yet still cost about the same as the larger, more-featured HK31.

Here is the well known 1100mm Durafly "Frankie", and the 800mm Mini P51 (HK31), or the FMS " Mini Shangri La", whichever way you want to see it.
Last edited by skymaxy; Jun 22, 2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old May 28, 2012, 05:13 AM
Just throw it up!
Joined Jul 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaxy View Post
All important info, I think your batt choice is wise as some use 1300mah 3s which sounds a bit hot to me, go buy a Rarebear if you want that sort of zoom.
Roger that, nothing worse than a Tailheavy Maiden, the Durafly 1100mm is like that too.
You are the only other person I have met that can wait for the right date to open a Birthday gift, it drives my curious wife crazy seeing a parcel sitting on the hall table for a week or more
Yeah the 1000mah 3cell 25c Turnigy batteries are a perfect fit and there is no need to hollow out the battery compartment. On the 1000s I get 5min flights with a bit of leeway for another landing attempt if you need it. I put around 700mah back in the batteries after 5mins. On these batteries with the stock prop and esc these planes are quite quick.

The mustang glides better than the P40 which makes it easier to land, and is pretty forgiving.

You don't need much throws on these small planes either, and too much elevator throws will make it snap and sometimes death roll, but tame it down and it is a docile flyer. All the 800mm planes do need airspeed in the turns, but you can slow them down a bit flying along the straights.
Old May 28, 2012, 05:23 AM
Just throw it up!
Joined Jul 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Not comparing the Two aircraft in this pic in any way except to make it easier to get the size feel of an 800mm model, which is a less common size.

Most of the "Mini's" or HK "Funfighters" are about 650mm and have only Aileron and Elevator, and smaller motors and battery capacities, yet still cost about the same as the larger, more-featured HK31.

Here is the well known 1100mm Durafly "Frankie", and the 800mm Mini P51 (HK31), or the FMS " Mini Shangri La", whichever way you want to se it.
Maybe you should compare them as it is likely they came from the same factory . I badly want the Durafly P51 but by the time I had the money for it for my b'day it was sold out at the Aus warehouse, so I settled for the little one.

Nice photo!
Old May 28, 2012, 06:15 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin Power View Post
Yeah the 1000mah 3cell 25c Turnigy batteries are a perfect fit and there is no need to hollow out the battery compartment. On the 1000s I get 5min flights with a bit of leeway for another landing attempt if you need it. I put around 700mah back in the batteries after 5mins. On these batteries with the stock prop and esc these planes are quite quick.

The mustang glides better than the P40 which makes it easier to land, and is pretty forgiving.

You don't need much throws on these small planes either, and too much elevator throws will make it snap and sometimes death roll, but tame it down and it is a docile flyer. All the 800mm planes do need airspeed in the turns, but you can slow them down a bit flying along the straights.
All good info thanks, especially about controls, the Durafly P51 also has hardly any elevator movement and its still more than enough. I see HK sold-out of those in a few days, bummer, but they re-stocked in 3 weeks last time so...
Old May 28, 2012, 06:31 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,528 Posts
BTW I just got a Turnigy 1000mah 2S 30-40C in the post, any idea how long they last, I tend to cruise mostly?
Old May 28, 2012, 07:30 AM
Australia, VIC, Shepparton
Joined Jun 2011
309 Posts
I have this little gem and i love it have flown it more times than I can remeber so good thought about getting a second one and doing some mods on the one I have into a D model or maybe into the Galloping Ghost just a awsome little plane for the money
jeffhines2673 is online now Find More Posts by jeffhines2673
Old May 28, 2012, 07:33 AM
Just throw it up!
Joined Jul 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
BTW I just got a Turnigy 1000mah 2S 30-40C in the post, any idea how long they last, I tend to cruise mostly?
I am pretty heavy on the throttle, and set my timer for 5 mins. It doesn't seem to make much difference between the 2cell and 3cell 1000mah in terms of flight time, but in terms of speed and climbing ability, there is a bit of difference.

Mind you, my mustang flew really well on the 2cell batteries anyway, but I got used to the 2cell setup pretty quickly, so decided to try 3 cells.

Here is a few pics of my blue one, and a video showing it flying on 2cell 20c 1000 batteries. There is also one of a landing so you can see the landing speed. You need to land these things quicker than the 1.1m warbirds which tend to float better.

FMS/Airfield P-51 Mini 800mm Second Flight of Maiden Day. (1 min 0 sec)

Landing second flight FMS/Airfield P-51 Mini 800mm (0 min 27 sec)
Old May 28, 2012, 08:10 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,528 Posts
These are the only vids i have seen of normal wheeled Takeoffs and Landings, a cupla guys in the HK reviews say to remove the the LG and Hand/Belly because the prop hits the deck if you raise the Tail,
That style is right for real taildraggers but not Model ones, I see you use the same take-off style as I do on the 1100mm, holding up Ele and letting it fly itself off the ground.

That was a nice rollout for small wheels in grass, i enjoyed these images very much thanks.