Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:07 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Discussion
netbook and battery and charger questions

laptop charger and power supply questions:

Taking my new netbook to the field w/ me to run some tests and program esc. I have questions about battery , voltage, power, chargers AC and DC

The netbook runs a 6 cell 11.1 4480 mah pack , but the ac charger is 30 watts (1.58 amps x 19 volts)

The dc charger I want to get is 90 watts and 19 volts. Do you suppose that it will be about 3 times as fast as the stock ac charger? Its 4.47 amps and 19 volts. Or perhaps is there something inside that only allow 30 watts charge?

A side note question is this. I borrowed a netbook to try and it happened to be a 7.4 battery , but ran a 12 volt charger or power supply. Could I have run it from the cig lighter or would it have charged too fast? What regulates the charge on these mini laptops? Is it inside the pc?
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:23 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
I'm starting to add up my loads and wonder if my vehicle battery will last very many hrs.

If I forget to turn the netbook off it may draw 1 amp from my testing. I'm starting to wonder just how much capacity I can realistically drain without damage. It's a 525 CCA battery. According to some it is only safe to use 5 ah from it.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 08:50 PM
Canada, ON, Kincardine
Joined Feb 2009
520 Posts
Most laptops have internal battery charge circuitry. The power brick is just a simple switch-mode power supply that feeds the charger with the correct voltage.

If your battery specifies a 5 Ah rating then your netbooks 1A load would deplete the battery in 5 hours. If I were you I would not bother to recharge the laptop at the field unless you really need it. Unless you have a need for it to be running hibernate it to save power.
Helno is offline Find More Posts by Helno
Old Oct 19, 2010, 04:22 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Yep, I got ya. That makes sense that the "charger" is inside the netbook. I see that I can turn off the "charging" from the pc itself. I will never use over 30 watts then from my car unless the pc is working very hard perhaps. Even then it may still never go over 30 watts.

If I'm figuring this correctly:

30 watts / a 12 v pack = about 2.5 amps and that should really charge the pack in about 2 hrs. I'm going to time it to see if that is how it is with the pc turned off.