SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2010, 12:05 AM
"Watch out for...CRUNCH!!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Jul 2008
218 Posts
Discussion
Wingdragon BL Motor too Powerfull?

Hi, a while back a got a 2212/6 Brushless motor to use in a plane and it has been sitting on the bench here for a while now. My question is, would it be too much for my poor humble WingDragon? I would run it on a 3 cell battery with a 6/4 prop attached. If it does work and not rip the plane apart, would someone with reasonable flying skills, such as myself, be able to fly it? Thanks for any input, it is greatly appreciated.
Modarius is offline Find More Posts by Modarius
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2010, 05:40 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,506 Posts
I currently use TowerPro 2409/12T motors in both my Wing Dragon's/Begin Air planes. With a 3S2200mAh lipo and 7x4 props I get around 190w or so. Both have heavily reinforced wings, tails and motor mounts. I have one with an onboard GPS logger and I got 86mph in a dive. It should handle the power with proper mods. DO IT!
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Jan 09, 2010, 11:09 PM
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Jul 2008
218 Posts
Thanks for the response but I don't think that you realize that the 2212/6 is a motor with almost twice the Kv of the motor that you listed as using. It is a 2200Kv motor and I think that's way to powerful for the WD. Again, thanks for the reply.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:56 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
I don't have a Wing Dragon but I do have that motor and you should be fine on a 6x4 or 6x3 prop. It is seriously powerful, though. Make sure the airframe is up to it because you'll be going over 50mph easily.

Remember, prop pitch governs speed and diameter governs thrust. The biggest prop this motor can handle on 3S is a 6x4.5 or 6x4. That'll give you a lot of speed and I don't think a stock Wing Dragon will handle it. Reinforce it a little or just go with a small prop (5x3 or 5x4). When you have a motor like this you've got enough power to rip your plane apart, but you don't have to use it all.

I say bolt it on and experiment with props, starting small. Find one you like.

Edit: Road Rascal, where do you fly? I see under your username it says "Twin Cities Parkflyers". Is that a club, perchance?
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jan 13, 2010, 03:27 PM
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Jul 2008
218 Posts
Thanks for the response! I did not know about what the pitch and size affected, that's really good to know. I think that I will try it out.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:52 PM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
id tape and cf rod/tube the wings and if you can glue them together i use duct tape to hold them together for transport but they are reinforced and needs it for a bp21 so you WILL NEED IT do both sides top and bottem and good luck and get a vid if poss please id luv to see that
foxy29 is offline Find More Posts by foxy29