HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2005, 09:57 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Hydrofoam...radio

We've all seen the neato and nifty hydrofoam models being run on the grass and water and even taking off and flying. I'd like to have one just to run in the snow. Anyways, if you have one, your probably using your airplane radios. Which is in the 72 megahertz range which was set in stone by the AMA. With me so far??? Okay, so, heres a potential slobber-knocker.
If you are running this model on your pond or running it on your lawn, does it then become an rc car/truck/boat that supposed to use the 25 mhz range? (25 is for rc cars and land based rc right?) So in doing so, if you are running your futaba 9c and your Miss Budweiser gets a glitch, it then speeds off and whacks the cane your neighbor uses to walk and he falls down and basically goes boom!!! Will the AMA support the insurance claim? You were running the model like an RC car but wasn't on the land based frequency. You were using the 72 mhz frequency. Maybe they'd consider that you were "taxi'ing".
Just a point to ponder....

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:28 PM
Dizzying Heights
New Zealand, Southland, Invercargill
Joined Feb 2003
1,063 Posts
I'd say that it is a similar situation to aeroplanes that have gone OOC while taxiing back to the pits ect, i.e. the worst place you could think of. It would probably be treated as the same, seeing as the model is built with the intention of being an aeroplane with something extra thrown in.
SargeNZ is offline Find More Posts by SargeNZ
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:49 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,592 Posts
All said and done it IS an AIRPLANE! What's the difference if it taxi's on water, grass, or pavement? The main purpose is to fly
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Sep 20, 2005, 03:50 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,208 Posts
The whole reason that planes get their own frequencies is that if there is interference, and the plane goes AWOL, it's their ability to go elsewhere and do considerable damage wherever it comes down... like on a house or a car... out onto a major road with traffic... who knows.

...but RC cars and boats... they're not gonna do nothin. Worst that will happen is running into a gutter or the side of the lake.

Planes can also go far faster, and are efficient projectiles. I've heard many stores of deaths caused around the globe due to RC planes out of control. I have not heard of RC cars or boats claiming a human life.

So for classificaiton of insurance... just that when you do take off, you enter into a different world of danger and liability.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:37 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,633 Posts
If the model is capable of flight, it belongs on a 72mhz frequency or other frequency band legal for model flying, period.

If a beginner spends a tank of fuel, or a battery charge taxiing his airplane trainer model around a parking lot of R/C runway, does it belong on a ground frequency?

I think not.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Sep 20, 2005, 04:30 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Aug 2005
1,110 Posts
If you plan on ONLY using it on ground, like he says in snow, and build with rudder only...ground surface would be appropriate. Then it would only be able to take flight if too much speed and wrong angle of top wing caused it to go up unintentionally. The 27mhz band is for air/surface use and I'm sure AMA would pick up the claim, although I have no experience with how they handle claims. If he did build it with no elevator/ailerons, would they pick up the claim? That's a good debate waiting to happen. Another, if it is built with no way of achieving flight, would it be wrong to use a 72mhz radio on it? Similar to what I have thought, I'd like to build one for the ponds where I fly my planes at, with no way of flying, just rudder and throttle. The lack of funds for an appropriate bl/lipo was why I wanted to build one for ground, as it would be too heavy with brushed/nimh.
savydad is offline Find More Posts by savydad
Old Sep 20, 2005, 06:37 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savydad
If you plan on ONLY using it on ground, like he says in snow, and build with rudder only...ground surface would be appropriate. Then it would only be able to take flight if too much speed and wrong angle of top wing caused it to go up unintentionally. The 27mhz band is for air/surface use and I'm sure AMA would pick up the claim, although I have no experience with how they handle claims. If he did build it with no elevator/ailerons, would they pick up the claim? That's a good debate waiting to happen. Another, if it is built with no way of achieving flight, would it be wrong to use a 72mhz radio on it? Similar to what I have thought, I'd like to build one for the ponds where I fly my planes at, with no way of flying, just rudder and throttle. The lack of funds for an appropriate bl/lipo was why I wanted to build one for ground, as it would be too heavy with brushed/nimh.
Ground only, 27mHz or 75mHz is appropriate.

Yes, if ground only, it would indeed be wrong to use a 72mHz radio in it.

27mHz is always ok, air or ground

The freq system we have is not perfect, but it is the best we have for now and it makes sense to honor it.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel