HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Photo Gallery - February 2001

View photos of models sent in by our readers.

Splash

Do you want to see pictures of your airplanes in this space?  Email them to gallery(at)ezonemag.com!  Be sure to provide some kind of information about your airplane, including basics such as wing area, weight, and power system.

emaillab.gif (1621 bytes)

Subject: Zagi 400
Date: Tuesday, January 16, 2001

Hi all-

I wanted to send in some pics of my Zagi-400.  It's covered in Ultracote  plus, and it gives me a relaxing fun fly plane to play with when my EDF and  scale planes are charging or when I want to fly within walking distance.

Except for the covering, it's completely stock and still going strong after  75 flights.  (I think the motor might need replacing soon though!!)  Mabey  I'll follow some advice on the Zagi modification threads when I replace the  motor!

Ed Putnam
"Eddie P"
Reno, NV

Zagi-panels.jpg (32009 bytes)  Zagi-pass1.jpg (14203 bytes)

Zagi-pass2.jpg (13201 bytes)  Zagi-pass3.jpg (21186 bytes)

Zagi-pass4.jpg (17906 bytes)

Subject: BAe-146
Date: Tuesday, January 16, 2001

Hey guys-

This model is a Robbe BAe-146, but it's got a few differences from the stock kit.

First off, I covered the whole airframe and engine pods in .6 oz glass cloth from Dan Parson's Products and used water based polyurethane instead of epoxy to save a few ounces.  James Frolik was kind enough to send me some HSB, a German Water Based Polyurethane that is easier to sand and comes out looking great.  I used the HSB for the fuselage and regular stuff you can buy at Home Depot for the wings, stabilizer and engine pods.  They both work, it's just that HSB is easier to sand and is quicker to apply because it lays down better and needs less sanding in the first place.

I also installed single slotted fowler flaps to help control the approach speed and runway needed up here in Reno (4500ft).  I've set them up for a maximum deflection of 30 degrees.  They work really well, and allow the model to land as slowly as a heavy slimer .40 sized trainer.  It's hard to tell, but I also increased the wing area a small amount by modifying the solid trailing edge balsa in the kit.  I extended the T.E. slightly and used 1/32 inch sheets and ribs to make more wing area for no increase in weight.   Again, that was for my high altitude location.

I used "PSA" as my livery.  That stands for "Pacific Southwest Airlines".  It was a very common airline in the western US and flew a lot of these BAe-146's.  It merged into USAir over 10 years ago and the route structure was largely abandoned and picked up by Southwest airlines.

W1st-flt02.jpg (40843 bytes)  W1st-flt04.jpg (26596 bytes)

W1st-flt05.jpg (21084 bytes)

W1st-flt09.jpg (28912 bytes)

The wing spans 74 inches and the weight is 7lbs.  I'm using the stock Rojet units, which provide a suprisingly strong pull.  This model is not under powered.  And when it gets some altitude, it is pretty fast with the flaps retracted... an overall pleasant suprise.  I'm using 16X2400mAh max cells from SR batteries and the four stock speed 410 motors, pulling (est.) about 40 amps.  I'm getting flight times in the area of five minutes with reserves for go arounds - and I fly powered back most of the time, unless I'm doing high speed passes or other fun stuff.  I keep those to a minimum though,
because I get barraged with passenger complaint letters afterwards.

The big suprise in all of this is the relative simplicity a multi motored model provides at the flying field as compared to a single engined glow model, and the realistic sound four electric fans produce.  I've got just under 20 flights on it over the past several months and I'm having a blast flying it!

Ed Putnam
"Eddie P"
Reno, NV

146flare.jpg (29391 bytes)  146GoAround.jpg (20008 bytes)  146MarkerINB.jpg (18481 bytes)

146shortfinal.jpg (23773 bytes)  146Smileliner.jpg (9696 bytes)

146taxi.jpg (44158 bytes)  BAe-01.jpg (38023 bytes)

Subject: Tom McDonnell's EGlider (Paradox)
Date: Tuesday, January 23, 2001

Hi,

This is a picture of a Geared Speed 400 Scratch Built Glider I have been designing and building.

It is a twin boomed inverted "V" tail.  It has a self molded fiberglass fuselage. CF Spar,Booms and LE.

• Wingspan 59"
  • Wing Area 809 sq in
  • Airfoil SA7038
  • Motor Speed400 with plantary 4:1 gear
  • Prop 11/8 CAM
  • Battery 8Cell 500AR

The wing designed with "Winfoil" computer program.

The inverted "V" with Elevons works very nicely does not work against the turn.

Thanks,
Tom McDonnell
Eldridge, Iowa
mcdonnellt(at)hotmail.com

Tom2.jpg (23373 bytes)

Subject: Speed 400 Hellcat
Date: Wednesday, January 24, 2001

Hello

Completed and test flew my Speed 400 Hellcat F6F this past weekend and two of my flying buddies took some pictures, so attached are the pictures.  I mostly built the plane over my Christmas Holiday, I get a week off from work.  It was one of Jim Ryan's kits and I built it stock and followed the instructions with just three exceptions.  I used epoxy to skin the wings, used MonoKote instead of low temp film, and 8 cells instead of 7.  The power system is 6v speed 400, 8ea. 600AE cells, Castle Creations Pegasus 35 ESC/BEC and 6 x 4 Master Airscrew prop.  The Radio is Tower Hobbies 4 channel system 3000 with their 8 channel Rx and Micro servos.   With the big Rx, extra cell, epoxy and heavy covering it came out at 19 to 20 ounces or about 2 ounces over Jim's recommended weight.  The full throttle current was 15 amps indicated on my AstroFlight Whattmeter, I guess I'll have to throttle back some or hope it unloads in flight.  It moves right along and slows down ok except that it needs either more elevator throw or the CG moved aft as it runs out of elevator trying to flair.  I don't have any documentation for the markings but I think it looks pretty authentic in the air.  I want someone in my club to build a Zero:-)  That is me in the pictures, hows my handlaunch style.   Fellow NorthShore RC modellers Joe Colleti and Mark Pokrywka took the pictures and Joe did the test flight honors.  I always read the Ezone, its great.

Tim Knowles

HCAT03.jpg (47606 bytes)  HCAT04.jpg (49903 bytes)  HCAT10.jpg (56538 bytes)

HCAT06.jpg (34548 bytes)  HCAT05.jpg (16715 bytes)  HCAT07.jpg (11408 bytes)

HCAT12.jpg (67771 bytes)

Subject: Taylor J.T.1 Monoplane
Date: Wednesday, January 24, 2001

Hi Steve,

Here is a picture of our model of the Taylor J.T.1 Monoplane. A scratchbuilt conversion from plans out of an older magazine.

History: John Taylor designed and built his original little monoplane in 1958-9 in the living room of his Ilford flat as a low wing aircraft of wood and fabric construction: 15ft overall length and 21ft total span. Originally powered by a Jap twin cylinder engine, almost all Monoplanes have had the ubiquitous VW engine.

Model: Our model has a wingspan of 52 inches and overall length of 36 inches and came out at a little bit over 3 lbs flying weight. This compares to a quoted 4 1/2 lbs weight of the O.S. FS 20 powered I.C. model which had 4 oz lead in the nose.

Covered with Litespan the plane has balsa cowling and Trexler airwheels. Microservos are used for the ailerons which are set up for extreme differential, 25 degrees up, almost no down - just like quoted in the actual construction plans. Miniservos are used for rudder/steerable tailwheel and elevator.

It is powered by a 13/3 turn 540 ferrite motor ('buggy motor') with a Graupner 2.5:1 belt drive, swinging a 11 x 7 1/2 modified Top Flite wooden prop using 7 x 3000 NiMH Saft Cells.

It climbs out nicely, is very stable in the air and has a duration of about 5-6 minutes of sedate flying and enough reserve to taxi back.

Our Taylor Monoplane has flown about 30 times successfully with only one little mishap in the early stages. It can do loops from the horizontal and stall turns and is a joy to watch in the air, particularly when doing slow and low fly-byes.

Specifications:

• Taylor Monoplane
  • Wing span : 52 inches
  • Wing area : 520 sq in
  • Weight : 3 lbs
  • Power in : 250 Watt
  • Duration : 5-6 minutes

Cheers,

Peter + Felix Hartmann

TaylorMo.jpg (42018 bytes)

Subject: Scratch Gee Bee R1
Date: Friday, January 26, 2001

Hi Steve,

Here are some pictures of my Scratch Built Gee Bee R1

The specifics are as follow:

• 45" wing span
  • 235 sp. in wing area
  • weight:60 oz
  • Hopf Brushless Motor(2060U/Vmin) with Maxon Gear 3,7:1
  • 15x13 Rudi Freudenthaler Prop(~5000 1/min)
  • 11 2400MAH cells with Kontronik 3SL70/6-18 Controller
  • Construction: balsa + carbon fibre pipe + foam
  • Covered with White Coverite, the red coulor is paint
  • 4to 6 min flight times

The Gee Bee flies superb, like a trainer.  For its fat fuselage it is very fast.   Throttle to ~1/2 and the Gee Bee has its scale speed, but full throttle is pylon racing!!

Martin Höller

P1263946.jpg (32017 bytes)  P1263948.jpg (27659 bytes)

0050-56.jpg (29704 bytes)  0050-61.jpg (19934 bytes)  0050-73.jpg (35569 bytes)

Subject: T-33
Date: Friday, February 02, 2001

Hi,

This is my T-33 when I first built in a couple of years ago . Since then it has gone through a lot of transitions due to landing in rough fields. I now have landing gear with Robbart scale covers and a clear canopy with two scale pilots on board. The next thing is a scale paint job and motor and inpeller change over. I will submit photos when this is done.

T-33 _clouds.jpg (31873 bytes)

Subject: electric spitfire
Date: Friday, February 09, 2001

A scratchbuilt 36 inch wingspan spitfire designed by John Chapis (contact Chapisplans(at)aol.com). Packing a geared astro 02.

The plane is cut on a homemade CNC table, as discussed in:

http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/Forum1/HTML/004851.html

The plane uses an interesting design with solid sheet wings. This design is similar to a model, the fenix, as seen at: www.komtek.no/fly/fly.htm

enjoy,
Owen White

spit4.jpg (39165 bytes)  spitfire1.jpg (31317 bytes)

Subject: PG Gerasis Sirius
Date: Tuesday, February 13, 2001

Attached is a picture of a proud papa and his PG Gerasis "Sirius" 7-27 cell F5B model.  Hollow molded balsa/fiberglass laminate wing w/MH30 airfoil, gelcoated kevlar fuselage, 67" span and 440 sq." wing area.    Paint is Parma faskolor flourescants, orange tips blended into yellow (model comes all-white).

For my first flights, power was an Aveox F7 on 8 zapped 2000RC cells and a 14x9.5 CAM prop - 70A or so static.  Goes up real nice, not blazing, but certainly quick.  Flies like a 70 pylon racer, slows down nicely - at 53.7 oz on 440sq", that's only 17oz./sq'. I am going to need more power.

..a

firstflight.jpg (35254 bytes)

Discussion

There are no posts