HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2002, 05:45 PM
suffering gravity surge
Westminster, CO
Joined Oct 2001
152 Posts
is my motor dead?

I was testing my new sailplane today, and it was going well. Several short test glides with just a touch of power looked good.

I couple of low-power test flights revealed that it needed some right trim both under power and in the glide. I adjusted the clevises and tried another very low-power run. Too much... I straigtened it out and brought it down at the very edge of the park. The airplane nosed in into some pooled water, maybe 5" deep. The throttle was off when it landed.

The motor and back (non-lead) end of the pack were wet and muddy. The ESC was dry. Back in the shop, I hooked up a new pack to the ESC and tried to power on. No beep to indicate it was armed, though the servos worked. Of course, the motor did not spin.

The controller is a Jeti 30-3P. The motor is a Mega 22/10/5. I rinsed the motor well and sprayed it with moisture-displacing lubricant.

Short of buying new components and checking the old ones with the new ones, what are my options for determining what's wrong? Might everything be okay once it all dries out, or am I being too hopeful?

Probably 50 square feet of water in a 13-acre field and it hit it. What luck.

Joe

joey221 is offline Find More Posts by joey221
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2002, 06:19 PM
suffering gravity surge
Westminster, CO
Joined Oct 2001
152 Posts
the panic is over, for now...

After wading (no pun intended) through scores of posts about breaking in motors underwater, I did finally find a few which gave me some ideas.

I rinsed, rinsed, and rinsed the motor and controller in denatured alcohol and shook it dry. Blew it out with compressed air. Hooked it up and it seems to work just fine.

Lubricated with Ballistol (a great, unbelievably light lubricant, BTW -- used on handguns) and set aside for complete drying.

Joe
joey221 is offline Find More Posts by joey221