HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM
AMA Member since 1986
Joined Jul 2007
225 Posts
Discussion
An open letter to DJI; re: Support and Service Policies

Dear DJI,

I purchase and use many of your products to support my aerial photography hobby. I appreciate your cutting-edge technology and innovation. I would like to offer a suggestion to improve your business and my use of your products. Namely, stop telling me to "see my dealer" anytime a problem occurs. Instead, provide a means for me to interact with DJI service directly.

Your technology is constantly evolving. As with any leading tech, it requires frequent updates, and often has problems which require the enthusiast community to collaborate and interact to help fix. Indeed, my observation is that the vast majority of owners of DJI professional gear require interaction and collaboration to keep their equipment running, and that we all encounter issues and "bugs" that require occasionally obscure work arounds and fixes. A subset of us are told, "return the equipment to DJI" for resolution. Which leads to....

... the next "advice" from DJI is to "contact our dealer" for these services anytime they arise. This policy - that service and interaction with you occur through our dealers - is a problem for many of us. A big problem.

For starters, many of us acquire equipment second hand, or often trade equipment among ourselves. Indeed, the fact that your equipment isn't universally compatible and requires very specific bits of equipment to properly interact virtually guarantees the we enthusiasts are going to buy, trade, and sell among ourselves to reach recommended configurations with breaking our budget (by buying new gear that we subsequently can't use).

Some of us live far from dealers and acquire equipment via the internet, often across international boundaries. Imagine that Apple required you go through your original purchasing dealer to arrange service? Your policy is difficult and for many of us, nearly unworkable.

Not only this, when I *do* work through my dealer, they don't have a clue what's going on. For example, I acquired an early S1000 Premium from my local hobby shop. My motor mounts began to show wear from rubber contacting sharp carbon fiber edges. Good news, DJI is aware of this problem and issued an update kit with metal washers to fix this problem. I contacted my dealer - 4 times now - and they've never heard of this fix. They contacted their distributor (Empire Hobby, one of the 2 largest DJI distributors in the USA), and they had heard of it, either. Now - 2 months later - and I still haven't resolved this problem. I'm sorry, but that's unacceptable. If you're going to direct us to our dealers, then you have to be proactive in supplying dealers with information, fixes, and parts.

Please, consider a service policy that allows end users to directly contact DJI and arrange for resolution of problems. Stop telling us as a standard response "work through your dealer". Without this, you're going to hinder your own market. Even a cursory review of the internet forums will show you 1) DJI has a decent reputation for professional gear, yet 2) many users become frustrated and seek other manufacturers if they can't resolve problems.

Such a change will serve both your status as the leading provider of multi rotor equipment, and your users needs for efficient service with complicated gear and equipment.

Thank you for your consideration,

Joe M.
Albuquerque, NM
diablo2112 is offline Find More Posts by diablo2112
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,348 Posts
This would of been better suited in the Vendor section of the forum

DJI even have dedicated thread : http://www.rcgroups.com/dji-innovations-842/
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,293 Posts
Joe,

The reason we request that users go back to their dealers is we hope that the dealer can offer a more expedited resolution to the issue. Sometimes they can and sometimes they cannot. 80% of the RMA's in LA are through users directly via our phone support lines. On difficult, or specialized questions, I personally get involved. We also have an escalation process that allows in certain circumstances to bypass our normal service channels. We use it often in those circumstances. There are many users on this forum that will attest to that. I spoke to Empire about your problem and they were aware of the solution. I am sorry that they did not fulfill that need. Please PM me with your contact information; name, address, email and phone number and I will have the grommets and washers sent to you.

I do apologize for the issues that you have encountered trying to get service. DJI is improving all the time. We are not perfect but striving to get better.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800