HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2014, 08:45 AM
United States, NH, Bedford
Joined Jan 2012
251 Posts
Build Log
Scale Build-Off 4 Plans built 64" Cessna UC-78, T-50 Bobcat

This will be my first entry into a contest, so Im looking forward to being included with such a talented group of builders.

My entry is a Cessna UC-78, also commonly known as the T-50 Bobcat or Bamboo Bomber. I am building from plans drawn by Bob Morse and published in Radio Control Modeler magazine in Aug 1964. The plans were drawn for a 64 wingspan pulled around by a pair of glow engines and directed by 4 channels. I will be converting to electric and adding flaps and retracts.

I started the build about a year ago, but it has languished on the table for many months. Im hoping this contest will help me move it along.

The plan is for a civilian color scheme, but I won't be using the Songbird decor from the 1950's TV show Sky King in which the T-50 was featured.

Tim
campbelltf is offline Find More Posts by campbelltf
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2014, 08:49 AM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,696 Posts
Welcome aboard Tim. You've picked a great subject, I like the color scheme in the picture, sure won't be confused for an ARF at the field...

Denny
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Oct 15, 2014, 09:38 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,882 Posts
No, they'll think it is your Bellanca!

I bet you have some teal Ultracote scraps you can send to Tim.

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Oct 15, 2014, 09:40 AM
Joined Jan 2012
251 Posts
Thanks, Dennis. I wish I had a good story behind choosing this plane, but its looks just grabbed me when I was searching for twin to build. I'm hoping I do it justice.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 09:56 AM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbelltf View Post
Thanks, Dennis. I wish I had a good story behind choosing this plane, but its looks just grabbed me when I was searching for twin to build. I'm hoping I do it justice.
I like the scheme...and looks like Turquoise Ultracote would be a good match.
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:23 AM
Joined Jan 2012
251 Posts
I like the scheme but prefer this color palette better, just not sure I can find them in a plastic covering...

1944 Cessna UC-78 Bobcat (Bamboo Bomber) - Fly/In Cruise/In (4 min 42 sec)

If not, maybe I'll try doculam and paint.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:31 PM
Joined Jan 2012
251 Posts
From the beginning...

As mentioned, I started this build about a year ago, so let's jump in the way-back machine to see where it started.

I originally ordered these plans straight from RCM Plans, but as you may know, they've been focusing on order taking, but have let the order fulfillment end of the business take sabbatical. While I was able to retrieve my funds through my credit card company, I still needed the plans. I ended up buying the Aug 1964 back issue of the magazine on eBay and had the plans enlarged at a local copy shop along with an extra copy to cut out templates.

The plans call for 2 deg of washout in the wings, so I did some math and added building tabs to the rib templates to account for the twist.

Balsa was used for the wing spars, but I opted for spruce and I extended the shear webs the full length of the main and rear spars.

Finally, the plan showed wing tips carved from balsa block, but I decided to laminate them instead.
Last edited by campbelltf; Oct 15, 2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 01:09 PM
O'Fallon, Mo.
Joined Apr 2010
567 Posts
I'm going to be following and watching, Tim. I like your subject here. I have my eye on a 50"-ish T-50 being developed by Park Scale Models for my first twin.
Don
BluIIs is online now Find More Posts by BluIIs
Old Oct 15, 2014, 01:45 PM
Joined Jan 2012
251 Posts
Hi Don, thanks for coming along. This is my first twin as well, so we'll learn together.

I've seen the thread with Zeke's Bobcat, it looks great. Though I secretly hope he finishes the Boeing 314 Clipper first (I already have a Bobcat ).

Pat Tritle mentioned he was picking his version of the Bobcat back up as well, so there may be a couple of choices on the market in the not too distant future.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 06:04 PM
Joined Jan 2012
251 Posts
Wing sheeting

Once the bones were in place, I glued up skins for the tops of the wing halves and glued them in place. With both halves up to the same point it was fun to put them together and see how it looked.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 04:45 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,719 Posts
A great subject. I've been a convert to opposite hand prop rotation for twins - it makes life a little easier on take-off and for those moments when full throttle low down slow is needed to get out of trouble.

Not that you will need the latter option
Sopwith Mike is online now Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Oct 16, 2014, 07:34 AM
Joined Jan 2012
251 Posts
Oh, I'll take all the help I can get, Mike. In fact, the plans call for reversing the direction of the right motor.
Last edited by campbelltf; Oct 16, 2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 08:30 AM
Joined Jan 2012
251 Posts
Flaps

The plans do show the outline of flaps, but do not provide the how. After some reading and YouTubing I learned the real bird only used flaps for landing and it appears the manner of their descent isn't too complicated. Here's a good shot of a couple of take offs and landings with flaps.

Cessna T50 Bamboo Bomber at Oshkosh 2013 Saturday & Friday (3 min 36 sec)
Old Oct 16, 2014, 08:37 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,882 Posts
Following along...

Lots of options for counter rotating props from APC. Look for EP (Electric Pusher) on their website.

I like your preference for color scheme. It looks like a metallic brown or bronze. Sig AeroKote has a metallic bronze that may be close, but I haven't seen a brown in that shade. It may be time to brush up on your painting skills.

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young