HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2014, 08:27 PM
Joined Apr 2014
257 Posts
Discussion
Mounting a GoPro camera to a submarine?

I admit that I am totally new to the world of rc submarines and know very little about them. I had the idea of mounting a GoPro camera to a sub and submerging it close to a reef in the ocean (preferably on a calm day.) My guess is that it would be quite challenging getting the balance right. I would prefer to attach the camera to one end of the sub so that none of the sub appears in the image. I guess I'd have to counter balance by having another weight at the other end of the sub? Alternatively, I guess I could mount the GoPro to the bottom of the sub half way (in the middle) and have the camera angled downwards at about 45 degrees. If the GoPro is going to be too demanding, I do have an 808 camera that I could get an underwater housing for. Would anyone be able to recommend any particular submarine models that would be suitable for this kind of work?
dragonblade is offline Find More Posts by dragonblade
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:25 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,798 Posts
The Thunder Tiger NEPTUNE is a good choice. It has a clear nose that a camera can be mounted in. Mike's Subworks offers some bright lights that can mounted on the NEPTUNE. GoPro cameras have been installed on several NEPTUNE's - lots of videos on Youtube.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:30 PM
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Sep 2012
12 Posts
Not sure how deep your transmitter is going to reach in seawater though.

Freek
FreekS is offline Find More Posts by FreekS
Old Aug 23, 2014, 04:11 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreekS View Post
Not sure how deep your transmitter is going to reach in seawater though.
Not very far when using 2,4GHz, and marginally deeper when using 27 MHz AM, or 40 Mhz FM:
R/C Sub, Scratch-built From Sewer Pipe (3 min 27 sec)

Salt water is pretty effective in blocking radio waves...

For remote control in the sea, you'll need an ROV (cable operated).

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled