HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2014, 05:01 PM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Dec 2011
376 Posts
Build Log
Manx Cat

This little airplane is sooooo ugly it's almost cute. I cant imagine it flying worth a crap. Another fine example in the museum of frantic search for the next kit to sell in the combat world!
Bob Mears is offline Find More Posts by Bob Mears
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2014, 05:04 PM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
Joined Dec 2011
376 Posts
Manx Cat

More construction photos
Old Apr 23, 2014, 05:07 PM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
Joined Dec 2011
376 Posts
Manx Cat

More Construction photos
Old Apr 23, 2014, 05:11 PM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
Joined Dec 2011
376 Posts
Manx Cat

Still more
Old Apr 23, 2014, 05:14 PM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
Joined Dec 2011
376 Posts
Manx Cat

Final photos. You cant see it but it has one landing wheel mounted in the fuse. The two rear wing struts protrude through the wing out the bottom for rear skids.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 04:12 PM
White mountains AZ.
Joined Jul 2004
223 Posts
Manx Cat

Bob
I built a Manx Cat in 1957 with a Johnson 35. I had a great time with it. It would turn on a dime and give you 9 cents change . I was thinking of making one for R/C.

Sonny Myers 72 and still flying . (fight gravity)
Mapco is online now Find More Posts by Mapco
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:16 AM
gcb
Joined Sep 2008
136 Posts
When the Manx Cat IV appeared in a model magazine (MAN, I think) I built a scaled down look-alike powered by a K&B Torpedo .09. Had fun with it. VERY maneuverable.

Never built the full-size version but if memory serves the mag had the Manx Cat IV and the kit was the Manx Cat V. The problem was not its flying ability but the time it took to build, having two wings and all. Most wanted a design that they could build a dozen of during the week and fly them on the weekend.

Designs (and engines) were advancing in leaps and bounds during that time period so ANY design got outdated in a short time.

Enjoy yours. Nice looking ship.

George
gcb is offline Find More Posts by gcb
Old May 08, 2014, 08:05 AM
Denton Tx
Joined Apr 2003
59 Posts
good home

Glad to see that the kit ended up at a good home. You did a very nice job on this one. Steve
faif2d is offline Find More Posts by faif2d
Old Nov 22, 2014, 05:23 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,723 Posts
Interesting looking model! Thanks for the thread!!!
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Nov 22, 2014, 07:45 AM
Joined Dec 2008
64 Posts
Bob, I'm very much a fan of Walter's kits. I had some issues however building mine. I found that trailing edge to be extremely susceptible to bowing. This caused a lot of difficulty in preventing the elevator from snapping up and down due to it too following the curve of the trailing edge. I already covered the wings prior to assembly. This just took some careful reheating and finesse to fix it. Looking back I should've swapped out the trailing edges for a slightly wider and more solid piece. In addition to assembly, trying to maintain straightness between both wings and not warping either or was most challenging. Nothing really keys the struts other than the sandwiching of ribs. This just took me a good bit of time to get it straight for my liking. In the end, I really feel I did a good job at doing so. I hope to fly mine this weekend. Mine is going to be powered with a Fox .35 Ken
ken cook is offline Find More Posts by ken cook
Old Nov 22, 2014, 07:47 AM
Joined Dec 2008
64 Posts
I should restate that I didn't build this actual plane, I just completed it. I'm also a bit skeptical to the upper wing construction. However the Fox .35 isn't much of a powerhouse, I can see the loads on the top wing being enough to break it away in hard maneuvers. I would love to fly it this weekend, unfortunately, the weather in PA has gone from 60's to low 20's. Ken
Last edited by ken cook; Nov 22, 2014 at 08:20 AM. Reason: I double posted my previous subject matter
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:13 AM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
Joined Dec 2011
376 Posts
Try to get some footage of it flying. Don't see those in the air often. I really wanted to fly mine, but chose not to. Its all framed up and in the museum now.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:16 AM
Joined Dec 2008
64 Posts
Bob, I will certainly do that. Rich Martinez is responsible for setting up our Philly Fliers Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/PhillyFliersCL and I will fly it when he's present. Hopefully we can get some good video of it. I just finished a Consolidated WOW which is Fox Rocket Combat Special powered. We flew it prior to the cold weather with good results. Hopefully we can get some footage soon.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 09:44 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,153 Posts
I had a couple of Red Fox Rocket engines. Both leaked oil out front of bearing big time. they ran ok but fuel comsumtion was horrible. I'm going to build a new Voodoo/ and Combat Cat. VooDoo will get Veco C/S/ CC will get Johnson C/S.
Bolt patterns are very similar and should be able to switch over. I have an old VooDoo with OS .25F. Sly Sir with FP.35/ Allen plane with Fox MK4. MK 4 has new cromed P/L and awesome fit.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Nov 24, 2014, 05:43 PM
GymDandy Flyer
Webb City, Missouri
Joined Apr 2004
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mears View Post
More Construction photos
Hi, Bob
Two questions ?
First, what are you covering your wings with ?
Second, what are you painting the wing with ?
Is it fuel proof or dose it come off ?
Oops that three questions.
I have not been able to locate matching "orange" Monokote and Lustrekote to complete the Renegade yet.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Keep Them Flying ! , Your good friend, Ken
Ken Spencer is offline Find More Posts by Ken Spencer